General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Clutch shot?

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/06, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clutch in the 95 Cobra is not right. It needs to pushed to the floor to engage and sometimes that still is not enough. I can still stomp on it and spin the tires, accelerate quickly and any other normal function without the clutch slipping. Any ideas suggestions?

If the clutch needs to be replaced, what should be replaced with it?

My wife enjoys driving this in its stock form, what would be the difference of adding a stage 1 or 2 clutch?
Old 2/6/06, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MY05GT @ February 5, 2006, 3:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The clutch in the 95 Cobra is not right. It needs to pushed to the floor to engage and sometimes that still is not enough. I can still stomp on it and spin the tires, accelerate quickly and any other normal function without the clutch slipping. Any ideas suggestions?

If the clutch needs to be replaced, what should be replaced with it?

My wife enjoys driving this in its stock form, what would be the difference of adding a stage 1 or 2 clutch?
[/b][/quote]
It doesnt sound to me like your clutch is shot. Could be though. Someone with more techinical knowledge than me could better answer the question though. I am wondering if maybe the cable is stretched or the quadrant has completely gone out. It really sounds to me like more of an adjustement issue, which could be caused be either of these going bad. Godd news is, you can get a new cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster for well less than $100.

Aftermarket clutches (I am assuming you are talking about a spec clutch due to the reference to stages) tend to make the pedal more firm than the stock clutch. The higher you go in stages, the harder it is to really slip the clutch. A spec stage 3 CAN be slipped, but it takes some getting use to, and the friction zone is smaller than the lighter clutches. As long as she can get use to a more firm pedal, a stage 1 or 2 clutch shouldnt be that bad really.