General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

In a bind. Help please

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/13, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a bind. Help please

Hey guys I was screwing around a bit ago and the damper on my 08 GT let go. The two metal pieces slid apart and let the belt slip off. My question is, will the damper from my friends 2v work? The pulley is the same size but the weight is larger. Can I use it or will it hurt something?
Old 3/3/13, 03:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by muscledom
Hey guys I was screwing around a bit ago and the damper on my 08 GT let go. The two metal pieces slid apart and let the belt slip off. My question is, will the damper from my friends 2v work? The pulley is the same size but the weight is larger. Can I use it or will it hurt something?
The harmonic balancer right? They are pretty engine specific I believe. I know the 08 Bullitt had a revised hb over the GT because of its higher redline to 6500. And since the 3V has more valve spring drag than the 2V I wouldn't want to use it.
Seems like Gary 2k7gtcs had to get a specific one on his Bronco thread and found a place pretty reasonable. Seems like they could rebuild or sell a new one. Can't remember for sure.

EDIT: here's the thread
https://themustangsource.com/f697/ga...7/#post6408006

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/3/13 at 03:30 PM.
Old 3/3/13, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco

The harmonic balancer right? They are pretty engine specific I believe. I know the 08 Bullitt had a revised hb over the GT because of its higher redline to 6500. And since the 3V has more valve spring drag than the 2V I wouldn't want to use it.
Seems like Gary 2k7gtcs had to get a specific one on his Bronco thread and found a place pretty reasonable. Seems like they could rebuild or sell a new one. Can't remember for sure.

EDIT: here's the thread
https://themustangsource.com/f697/ga...7/#post6408006
Well we ended up putting it on. Seems to be fine for now. Just wanted something to get home. Since, if I recall correctly, the engine is neutrally balanced I figured it would be fine. I looked up if they could be interchanged on google. I didn't find a direct answer but I did find a company that made a performance balancer which was the same part number for 2v 3v and 4v motors.
Old 3/3/13, 08:20 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by muscledom
Well we ended up putting it on. Seems to be fine for now. Just wanted something to get home. Since, if I recall correctly, the engine is neutrally balanced I figured it would be fine. I looked up if they could be interchanged on google. I didn't find a direct answer but I did find a company that made a performance balancer which was the same part number for 2v 3v and 4v motors.
Interesting. I can understand limping home with it but personally I wouldn't push it.
Are all three rated the same redline? I would think that's important to balance crank speed.
Yet a SOHC 2V crank w/16 valve springs has to bump against less pressure than a SOHC 3V w/24 valves, and much less than a DOHC 4V w/32 valves.
What about Ford part numbers? Are they the same for all three engines?
Old 3/3/13, 09:01 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt...2005-2009.aspx

This may not help lol but it won't hurt
Old 3/3/13, 10:17 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I certainly would get the correct one and install it

The weight is specific to the motor and crankshaft

You said you have an 08 GT

My question is why did the original let go? How many miles? Are you running and SC or something

Sure they let go but 4-5 years seems awfully quick

Maybe somebody tried to pull it before for some reason and used a claw type pulley puller and not the bolt type HB puller
Old 3/4/13, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I certainly would get the correct one and install it

The weight is specific to the motor and crankshaft

You said you have an 08 GT

My question is why did the original let go? How many miles? Are you running and SC or something

Sure they let go but 4-5 years seems awfully quick

Maybe somebody tried to pull it before for some reason and used a claw type pulley puller and not the bolt type HB puller
Well the outer metal part slid forward on the insulator after a burnout. No blower. Full bolt ons and cams 329rwhp. 88k miles. Think I'm gonna order the steeda Underdrive kit today. She's seen the track quite a bit too
Old 3/4/13, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Interesting. I can understand limping home with it but personally I wouldn't push it.
Are all three rated the same redline? I would think that's important to balance crank speed.
Yet a SOHC 2V crank w/16 valve springs has to bump against less pressure than a SOHC 3V w/24 valves, and much less than a DOHC 4V w/32 valves.
What about Ford part numbers? Are they the same for all three engines?
The OE PNs are different so I'm sure you're right. But yea I'm def just gonna let her sit until my new pullies go on