General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Battery drain tied to fuse #6

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/21, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery drain tied to fuse #6

Hello,

I could really use some advice.
I have a battery drain where the batery lasts 5-6 days undriven, and using my multi, i determined it was tied to #6 40A fuse under the hood.
#6 indicates Instrument Cluster / Powertrain Control Module.
So i removed the cluster, and unplugged the PCM.

Parasite is still there, how do i proceed after trying these two basic tests?
2003 mach1
Old 6/10/21, 06:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
You will have to literally trace that wire from the fuse and see where it goes. Either though the wiring diagram, or physically on the car. Any connectors must be checked back probed and front, connected and not, to see if the draw is still there until you find the problem. And also physically tracing the wire may expose a chafed/cut/corroded short or disconnect that might be causing the problem, or possibly a spliced wire that you didn't know about (if it wasn't your car all the time it's been around... Previous owners do things, y'know...)

It could also be a bad ground and the device in question is trying to ground out any way it can, and it found a path through that particular circuit.

Wiring issues like this are a *pain*. And it's tedious. But this is the way: Hunting it down relentlessly.

I know it's not the answer you want, but it's the answer I got. I do hope it helps. And welcome to the forums!
Old 6/10/21, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
You will have to literally trace that wire from the fuse and see where it goes. Either though the wiring diagram, or physically on the car. Any connectors must be checked back probed and front, connected and not, to see if the draw is still there until you find the problem. And also physically tracing the wire may expose a chafed/cut/corroded short or disconnect that might be causing the problem, or possibly a spliced wire that you didn't know about (if it wasn't your car all the time it's been around... Previous owners do things, y'know...)

It could also be a bad ground and the device in question is trying to ground out any way it can, and it found a path through that particular circuit.

Wiring issues like this are a *pain*. And it's tedious. But this is the way: Hunting it down relentlessly.

I know it's not the answer you want, but it's the answer I got. I do hope it helps. And welcome to the forums!
Thank you for the reply and hospitality.
I was able to narrow it down a bit more.
I can now stop the drain by removing fuse #39 from inside the car fuse box, which is the GEM. It looks like there are a few associated fuses with gem in the name, I'll try removing those next,
Old 6/11/21, 09:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Hey... you been here a bit! Still, welcome back I suppose! I just didn't see your join date, just the gray username. You should post a little more when ya can, and pics!

Old 6/11/21, 10:06 AM

I'll have to upload some pics of my black Mach 1. She's a beaut
I found these fuses:

Radio gem
Overdrive cancel switch gem
GEM anti theft relay
GEM interior lamps
Gem fuse #39

I think i need some help with the wiring diagram, process of elimination has only confirmed gem

With the fuse 39 back in, the draw begins, I removed the other gem fuses, draw still present.