SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Parasitic draw on battery when parked.

Old 7/31/17, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parasitic draw on battery when parked.

I have a 3 month old battery, and when I went to start my car yesterday, the battery was completely dead. It would barely flash the anti theft light. It was only a few nights ago, since I drove it. It ran fine, had bright lights, and the voltage gauge was reading normal.

I charged the battery, and disconnected the ground. Then I put my multi meter between the ground cable and the negative post of the battery. With the key off its reading almost 12 volt. 11.49 ish. I pulled every fuse and relay one at a time and seen no difference in the reading. I even disconnected the relays to my electric water pump and the 40 amp back to my BAP and FPDM. I also disconnected the charge cable at the alternator

I have no idea where the draw is coming from? Possibly the main power cable to the starter or an internal short? Kinda lost on what to test next?

As always any ideas will be appreciated.
Old 7/31/17, 11:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jivepepper
I have a 3 month old battery, and when I went to start my car yesterday, the battery was completely dead. It would barely flash the anti theft light. It was only a few nights ago, since I drove it. It ran fine, had bright lights, and the voltage gauge was reading normal.

I charged the battery, and disconnected the ground. Then I put my multi meter between the ground cable and the negative post of the battery. With the key off its reading almost 12 volt. 11.49 ish. I pulled every fuse and relay one at a time and seen no difference in the reading. I even disconnected the relays to my electric water pump and the 40 amp back to my BAP and FPDM. I also disconnected the charge cable at the alternator

I have no idea where the draw is coming from? Possibly the main power cable to the starter or an internal short? Kinda lost on what to test next?

As always any ideas will be appreciated.
internal short comping from the fuse box inside the passenger side fuse box had to take my daughters 05 to an auto electric person to find the draw which he did it killed 2 brand new batteries and also real the alternator as well. since I got it fixed no issues.
Old 7/31/17, 11:08 PM

I think I must have an issue with my meter. If I check for volts between the ground cable it reads about 12, but if I put it to A-dc 20 Ma and try and get an amp reading, it reads zero. If it reads volts why wouldn't it show any amps?

Another weird thing was when I first took it out for a tonight my mileage was not showing on the dash. After half a mile it just came on. It wasn't the dashes like some people get when they're having ECU issues it was just blank.
Old 8/1/17, 05:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
how many volts show at the battery when the car is running
Old 8/1/17, 12:33 PM

Its showed 13.5 volts I think.

Search this Thread