General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Autobahn Top Speed

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/13, 05:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Years ago a friend of mine was stationed there with the AF. He was doing 135 on the Autobahn when something passed him like he was standing still! To this day he has no idea what it was!
That's got to be a sweet ,mysterious memory.
Old 11/8/13, 05:30 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,715 Posts
Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
That's got to be a sweet ,mysterious memory.
Yep he still talks about it! :-)
Old 11/8/13, 05:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ER12883
This summer I was in Germany. We rented an Opel Astra - no power manual, but great gas mileage. Anyway, on the road from Munich to Salzburg there was nobody behind me in sight. I drop gear to pass a truck and see a car coming up on me FAST. I just complete my pass at about 160 kph (~100 mph...giving it all she had), when a silver car blows by me like I was standing still, shaking my car. I think it was an Audi but it was going so fast I couldn't see.
Audi owners aee notorious for driving high speeds and flash lights for you to get out of the way!! The exotics are are rare but I saw them nore over there then here. Especially high end Porsches.
Old 11/8/13, 06:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member Eu Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, rules in Europe for drivers licenses (and especially the price in terms of money) are much higher. Coupled to the fact that loosing your license if you're disregarding the rules is exceedingly easy, and getting it back is going to take time, besides the hefty fines sanctioned, will make sure you take care of your license, and try not to be an idiot on the road.

Then you have the cars, which with taxes are a lot more expensive then they are in the USA. As a result one tends to be more careful with that car. I mean, if you wreck a $30.000 car, that hurts... but if you wreck the same car in Europe, it could be €40.000 as a pricetag. Taxes on cars just make them a lot more expensive.

Thirdly most west-European nations demand a yearly check of the vehicle. This includes (but is not limited to) a check of the brakes, parkingbrake, windows, lights, tires, smog, exhaust, VIN number registration, steering, engine supports, batterymount, fuel-system, safetybelts, seats, mirrors, reflectors, windshield wipers, switches on the dashboard, inidcator lights control arms, springs, wheelbearings and whatnot.

This is a yearly recurring thing, and as such it also incurs costs. At that point you do have a more assured feeling about going fast, cause it's all checked and rechecked regularly. There are some cars that I've seen in the USA that I wouldn't drive at high speeds (or even drive at all!)

So the costs of everything make sure you drive a lot more concious on the road, and part of learning to drive also includes looking and thinking ahead on everything you do. (this does not just include the fact that you check slower traffic if you're doing a high-speed run, and anticipate on what they might do, but also anticipate faster traffic if you want to overtake someone. I've had instances where I slowed down and did not overtake at that moment since I saw someone coming down at high speed a mile behind me).

Also the assurance that your car is mechanically sound instills a sense of trust in the vehicle that you can push the speed up with confidence.

Point in case: if a speedlimit is posted, you'll also see people slow down to honor that speedlimit (and no, that does not mean 5 or 10 MPH over, that means driving the speedlimit!). The police is known to check at these stretches, and fines are no joke.
Old 11/13/13, 02:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Americans as a rule are some of the least competent people behind the wheel. You go down the autobahn at 150mph, you don't worry about the cars coming the other direction staying in their lane. You do that on I-10 West of San Antonio, where the speed limit is as high as any freeway in the state, you have no idea if the person coming the other direction is paying attention to the road, trying to redial the phone # he just got cut off from, stuffing their face and driving with their knees...it's risky enough at 80mph. No way am I going to put my faith in my reflexes--or the car's suspension or tires--to keep from being hit by that idiot and keep me from becoming a front page news story in Ft. Hancock, TX if I'm going 150mph, or 130, or 100mph.

By the way, the average speed around here, and in every other place I have lived and driven in TX, is not even close to 15mph over the limit. If it were, Texas' DPS would be driving around in GT-R's because they'd be filthy rich.
Amen brother. As they say, "Don't get me started".
Old 11/13/13, 03:42 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was there with my Boss in July, the Audi drivers eventually, reluctantly, pulled over when they realized they weren't going to be able to leave me behind.
Old 11/22/13, 12:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been driving in Germany for almost a year before my car got parked till I get back from this heckhole.

Germans are better drivers than Americans, true.

It's easy to lose you license without even being pulled over. Speed cameras and NASA space shuttle level spy tech high speed cameras and laser radar are very common. The poletzi don't play, at all. The DUI limit is .06 and you can legally drink beer at the bar when you are 16. There is a reason why most F1 drivers at the top of the food chain are from the other side of the pond.

Most of the cars that pass me are Audi diesel wagons and VW's if the same. Exotics actually slow down to wave at me and most of the people that outrun me are 911's. They usually wave after I catch them when the speed limit slows down too.

I recently went home to see my family in SC and had some serious road rage while my wife drove me home from Charlotte because of all the jack wagons on the road. I'm going to SERIOUSLY miss driving my Mustang in Germany when I have to leave.

The inspections a are no joke to say the least.
Old 11/24/13, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had my Mustang up to 120 mph, but that was on brand new pavement and with my radar detector set on highway sensitivity.

I have had defensive driving/skid control courses courtesy of the City, when they out all public safety personnel through the program. Three years ago, I wrote a successful DHS/Aid to Firefighters Grant that allowed us to send our new personnel through as well as provide a refreshed for those who took the course back in the early 1990's. My FD has aslo set aside training money to send all new hires through the program.

The skills taught work. Last year, while returning from a motor vehicle collision on I 290, I was able to avoid getting hit head on at 0230 hours when a vehicle in the other lane drifted over into the southbound lane of our Route 85.