General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Autobahn Top Speed

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/13, 12:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autobahn Top Speed

Some people think going very fast on public roads is stupid or selfish; or maybe just crazy. Any speed where carelessness is practiced is for sure stupid. But to say that going 150 mph on a public road is stupid or selfish: Does that only apply to the U.S.?

Is that saying that everyone in Germany or wherever where it is legal to go that fast on public roads is stupid. I think they would take offense to that. To me, Germany probably has more better drivers then anywhere in the world, that is why they can have unlimited speeds. I think it is only the stupid people on the roads is what makes it dangerous that they enjoy pulling out if front of people on purpose and going slow.

I don't think unlimited speeds would work in the U.S. because there are too many stupid people just like that that go slow in the left lane on purpose and don't use it for passing only. In Texas, now if you are going slower then the speed limit in the left lane, you are getting a ticket. That will keep all of the stupid people out of that lane.

Old 11/7/13, 01:19 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Germany also has much stricter rules for obtaining a license and vehicle. Their drivers are much better trained than the average drivers here. If our regulations were as tough as theirs there would be a lot fewer people with licenses and cars here.

That is the difference.
Old 11/7/13, 02:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
Germany also has much stricter rules for obtaining a license and vehicle. Their drivers are much better trained than the average drivers here. If our regulations were as tough as theirs there would be a lot fewer people with licenses and cars here.

That is the difference.
Must be an echo in here. Yes, they ARE better drivers, not rude and actually use their brain. I have driven in England for a month, and they are the same way. Smarter, nicer and can actually drive. Just on the wrong side of course....

Last edited by RubyTuesday2014; 11/7/13 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11/7/13, 02:14 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
well i hope the speed limit in germany is`nt 150 down town ...
Old 11/7/13, 02:25 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by RubyTuesday2014
Must be an echo in here. Yes, they ARE better drivers, not rude and actually use their brain. I have driven in England for a month, and they are the same way. Smarter, nicer and can actually drive. Just on the wrong side of course....
just sayin man, the training is the most important part of the equation.

Plus i imagine there are far less illegal cars/drivers on their roads lol
Old 11/7/13, 02:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by HOSS429
well i hope the speed limit in germany is`nt 150 down town ...
You know it isn't....correct?
Old 11/7/13, 02:55 PM
GT Member

just sayin man, the training is the most important part of the equation.

Plus i imagine there are far less illegal cars/drivers on their roads lol
Most people are scared to go fast, plus they may have POS cars that won't go fast so they won't be either. Plus like you said , they have no training. Those all would be the people not in the left lane.

Texas keeps upping the speed limit and now to 85 on one road and some 80. Most are now 75 and 90 is the normal speed that people drive, if not more.
Old 11/7/13, 03:23 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by RubyTuesday2014
Most people are scared to go fast, plus they may have POS cars that won't go fast so they won't be either. Plus like you said , they have no training. Those all would be the people not in the left lane.

Texas keeps upping the speed limit and now to 85 on one road and some 80. Most are now 75 and 90 is the normal speed that people drive, if not more.
you actually bring up a good point with the being afraid of POS cars

Germany also has more stringent regulations for what cars are allowed on the road. A lot of cars I see every day driving around here wouldn't be allowed at all over there.
Old 11/7/13, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

Arin is exactly right in what he's saying. I lived in Germany for 3 years and I have a German wife (Born and Raised). They are MUCH better drivers than we are b/c its very expensive to get a license. You have to go though a driving course to get one. My wife paid 2,500 euro to get hers, which is the average of what you have to pay. They cut us Military folks a break and if you have a license from the states they make you take a test of road signs and laws and let you drive for the period of time you will be there which I loved it. They also have strict inspection just as Arin was saying so the many that drive POS here would not pass over there. Also those of us with headers and off road pipes wouldn't pass. The autobahn is great and no its not unlimited speed limit on all highways but on most of the highways (90%). You usually have to slow down to 80 mph if the autobahn goes by a town.
Old 11/7/13, 05:08 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Arin is exactly right in what he's saying. I lived in Germany for 3 years and I have a German wife (Born and Raised). They are MUCH better drivers than we are b/c its very expensive to get a license. You have to go though a driving course to get one. My wife paid 2,500 euro to get hers, which is the average of what you have to pay. They cut us Military folks a break and if you have a license from the states they make you take a test of road signs and laws and let you drive for the period of time you will be there which I loved it. They also have strict inspection just as Arin was saying so the many that drive POS here would not pass over there. Also those of us with headers and off road pipes wouldn't pass. The autobahn is great and no its not unlimited speed limit on all highways but on most of the highways (90%). You usually have to slow down to 80 mph if the autobahn goes by a town.
Pics of zie deutsche fräulein?

Old 11/7/13, 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
81.8 million people in Germany. USA 313 million. Of course you going to run to more dipsh it drivers in the USA. I just had a 10 hour/700 mile drive and for the most part 99.9% of the cars I passed were on the right side of the road. On the other hand most of my trip to work is one lane in each direction and 99.9% of the time I don't get upto the speed limit. Hey lets do 49 in a 55

Last edited by Glenn; 11/7/13 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11/7/13, 05:51 PM
GT Member

you actually bring up a good point with the being afraid of POS cars

Germany also has more stringent regulations for what cars are allowed on the road. A lot of cars I see every day driving around here wouldn't be allowed at all over there.
You are correct. I worked for a German company from Salzgitter. They have told me about Ford of Germany is so much better then Ford in the US. There are lot of countries that have very strict laws about cars and keeping them up. When I was in New Zealand they told me that you cannot even buy a car unless you can prove you have a place to park it permanently.
Old 11/7/13, 05:56 PM
GT Member

To get a German driver's license you have to change the tire. So even women have to. So they have to learn, get training and learn how to be more aware of their surroundings. I am a retired driver's training teacher, it was fun. The more you make someone aware of things, the more you realize how much you know yourself but didn't realize it until you teach it.
Old 11/7/13, 06:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
81.8 million people in Germany. USA 313 million. Of course you going to run to more dipsh it drivers in the USA. I just had a 10 hour/700 mile drive and for the most part 99.9% of the cars I passed were on the right side of the road. On the other hand most of my trip to work is one lane in each direction and 99.9% of the time I don't get upto the speed limit. Hey lets do 49 in a 55
I just got home from the store and this "woman" pulled out on the highway from the parking lot into a 55 mph highway and then almost stops in the middle of the the highway to show the baby in the backseat "its Daddy on the Droid phone"!!. R U kidding me, she almost got hit from behind. She must the Walmart Driver's License
Old 11/7/13, 06:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Americans as a rule are some of the least competent people behind the wheel. You go down the autobahn at 150mph, you don't worry about the cars coming the other direction staying in their lane. You do that on I-10 West of San Antonio, where the speed limit is as high as any freeway in the state, you have no idea if the person coming the other direction is paying attention to the road, trying to redial the phone # he just got cut off from, stuffing their face and driving with their knees...it's risky enough at 80mph. No way am I going to put my faith in my reflexes--or the car's suspension or tires--to keep from being hit by that idiot and keep me from becoming a front page news story in Ft. Hancock, TX if I'm going 150mph, or 130, or 100mph.

By the way, the average speed around here, and in every other place I have lived and driven in TX, is not even close to 15mph over the limit. If it were, Texas' DPS would be driving around in GT-R's because they'd be filthy rich.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 11/7/13 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11/7/13, 07:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Americans as a rule are some of the least competent people behind the wheel. You go down the autobahn at 150mph, you don't worry about the cars coming the other direction staying in their lane. You do that on I-10 West of San Antonio, where the speed limit is as high as any freeway in the state, you have no idea if the person coming the other direction is paying attention to the road, trying to redial the phone # he just got cut off from, stuffing their face and driving with their knees...it's risky enough at 80mph. No way am I going to put my faith in my reflexes--or the car's suspension or tires--to keep from being hit by that idiot and keep me from becoming a front page news story in Ft. Hancock, TX if I'm going 150mph, or 130, or 100mph.

By the way, the average speed around here, and in every other place I have lived and driven in TX, is not even close to 15mph over the limit. If it were, Texas' DPS would be driving around in GT-R's because they'd be filthy rich.
On I45 between Dallas and Houston where the speed limit is 75...do only 85 and see how many people blow past you like you are driving a Yugo
Old 11/7/13, 08:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Pics of zie deutsche fräulein?

Haha...sure. Prost
Attached Thumbnails Autobahn Top Speed-pa240538.jpg  
Old 11/7/13, 08:53 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Haha...sure. Prost

Looks like the dude on her right is checking her out man
Old 11/7/13, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

This summer I was in Germany. We rented an Opel Astra - no power manual, but great gas mileage. Anyway, on the road from Munich to Salzburg there was nobody behind me in sight. I drop gear to pass a truck and see a car coming up on me FAST. I just complete my pass at about 160 kph (~100 mph...giving it all she had), when a silver car blows by me like I was standing still, shaking my car. I think it was an Audi but it was going so fast I couldn't see.
Old 11/8/13, 05:20 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Years ago a friend of mine was stationed there with the AF. He was doing 135 on the Autobahn when something passed him like he was standing still! To this day he has no idea what it was!

Quick Reply: Autobahn Top Speed