General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

2012 GT Kona Shocks/Struts SR Springs ride is kinda bad

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/23, 02:02 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Siber Express
I just went with this option, you change from the stock suspension ride quality suffers, the Koni Sports make it even worse. The results are real nice though when you are cruising in the mountains
Unfortunately, Ken for those of us who still own the older 2005-10 S197 cars, we don't have the ability to switch suspension modes lol. Therefore, were either limited to the stock suspension or modify to aftermarket components... IMHO, I would say the closest you're going to get to the ride quality of the stock suspension is to either run the OEM dampers with a progressive rated lowering spring which is also compatible and designed to paired with the OEM dampers or run performance dampers that are designed specifically for street usage which are also compatible and designed to be paired together with the OEM/stock springs...
Old 8/2/23, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
I had pretty good experience with Vorschlag, but I didn't get into anything difficult or controversial with them ... and yeah, could be Tokico on the GT500 struts/shocks

anyway, the Bilsteins are probably worth a shot, but I'm not promising any miracles! ;-)

Old 8/2/23, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
I had pretty good experience with Vorschlag, but I didn't get into anything difficult or controversial with them ... and yeah, could be Tokico on the GT500 struts/shocks

anyway, the Bilsteins are probably worth a shot, but I'm not promising any miracles! ;-)
After you mentioned experiencing very little improvement with the Bilstein's, I would once again recommend to the OP that his best practical option would be having his stock struts/shocks reinstalled which will determine if its his Koni SRT,T dampers that are responsible for the harsh/stiffness issues... Otherwise, if he doesn't notice any improvement? then he'll know for certain that it's his SR springs that are responsible... As previously mentioned, this method will take out all the guess work and uncertainty!
Old 8/2/23, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
... recommend to the OP that his best practical option would be having his stock struts/shocks reinstalled which will determine if its his Koni SRT,T dampers that are responsible for the harsh/stiffness issues...
will be interested to see how that works out; "they say" that if the SR springs are stiffer than stock (higher spring rate) then that will be "under-damped' and could be a bouncy ride ... worth a try since he already has the parts
Old 8/2/23, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
will be interested to see how that works out; "they say" that if the SR springs are stiffer than stock (higher spring rate) then that will be "under-damped' and could be a bouncy ride ... worth a try since he already has the parts
So, if the SR springs are stiffer than stock with higher spring rate, then knowing the Koni SRT.T struts/shocks are also stiffer than stock, does that not also contribute to producing a bouncy ride as well? If either scenario is the case, then perhaps the OP might also want to consider contacting Steeda Autosports to inquire about the Steeda Ultra-Lite springs or Steeda sport springs.
Old 8/29/23, 12:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys. Wow I thought this thread had ended. I just happened to come upon this in my browser history. I never got an email notifying me of all these replies. Strange.
I'm trying to go through this. Lot here.

Yes, against some I was just going to swap in the Bilsteins but then they were out of stock at like 3-4 places so I never got them.

Anyways, I'm going to be looking at all the above posts in detail.

Thanks again for all the advice and facts...
Old 8/29/23, 01:02 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,221 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmsys
Hey guys. Wow I thought this thread had ended. I just happened to come upon this in my browser history. I never got an email notifying me of all these replies. Strange.
I'm trying to go through this. Lot here.

Yes, against some I was just going to swap in the Bilsteins but then they were out of stock at like 3-4 places so I never got them.

Anyways, I'm going to be looking at all the above posts in detail.

Thanks again for all the advice and facts...
You Are Set Up To Recieve Notifications. Is Your Listed Email Still Valid or Maybe Check Spam Filter!

Mgb,

KC
Old 8/29/23, 01:09 PM

Thanks KC. I was getting them and now just got this one so I don't what the heck happened with all those other replies and their notification emails?
Nothing has changed on my end.

Thanks...
Old 8/29/23, 01:17 PM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by Rdmsys
Thanks KC. I was getting them and now just got this one so I don't what the heck happened with all those other replies and their notification emails?
Nothing has changed on my end.

Thanks...
After Checking All Your Settings and Saving it May Have Fixed a Glitch! Happy to Help!

Mgb,

KC
Old 8/29/23, 01:21 PM

As a guy who has a lot of years in I.T. (more than I care to admit) I GET IT LOL!

Much appreciated!.
Old 8/29/23, 01:41 PM

I also agree with Kevin about the glitch... Meanwhile, glad you were finally able to get the notification replies... In the meantime, we'll be looking forward towards your thoughts/opinions after getting brought back up to speed in looking over all the above posts in detail!
Old 11/7/23, 08:04 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, I am looking to buy a 2000 - 2004 Mustang at the moment and researching coil over packages looking for something with a nicer ride, springs and shock / struts is another option.
I would guess cutting the stock springs to lower would also cause a harsher ride.
Following along with interest.
Old 11/8/23, 03:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Fawls
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, I am looking to buy a 2000 - 2004 Mustang at the moment and researching coil over packages looking for something with a nicer ride .....
you might want to check the 2000-2004 sub-forum, I am not sure how different the suspension was on those cars versus the S197 2005-2014 chassis; maybe start a thread there

as I understand it, coilovers are NOT for a "nicer ride" -- the main advantages are that they offer adjustability and generally higher spring rates (harder/stiffer) than normal shocks/struts/springs, with enough damping to keep the stiffer springs under control
Old 11/8/23, 09:41 AM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by Fawls
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, I am looking to buy a 2000 - 2004 Mustang at the moment and researching coil over packages looking for something with a nicer ride, springs and shock / struts is another option.
I would guess cutting the stock springs to lower would also cause a harsher ride.
Following along with interest.
We Just Went Through a Ride Concern on a Very Low Miles 04 While Weather Stopped Us From a Final Conclusion You Might Gleen a Little Info Here!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...g-ride-550571/

KC
The following users liked this post:
Rdmsys (7/8/24)
Old 11/8/23, 02:17 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fawls:
05stangkc (11/8/23), Bert (11/8/23)