General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

2012 GT Kona Shocks/Struts SR Springs ride is kinda bad

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/23, 09:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 GT Kona Shocks/Struts SR Springs ride is kinda bad

Guys, long time.

So at the end of last year I bit the bullet and replaced my stock shocks/struts and springs to lower my 2012 GT.

I was a little hesitant and heard the comments about the rough ride but thought how bad can it be.

Well, I do like the way it sits. However, I think I ruined it. The ride is so bad now. Every single bump (and the roads here in PA are BAD) and groove is felt.

My wife even complains about it now and doesn't even wanna get in.

Barring all that, I'm thinking of going back to stock but I'm not sure about that either.

Would a different set of springs make it any better? (I've read Steedas are less harsh)

If I were to put Coil Overs on, would I be able to soften it up? I didn't do it originally because I was not even sure what the deal was with them.

I know they ain't cheap and I paid a lot to have the Konis installed. But at this point I gotta fix this somehow.

I tend to think that Coil Overs are the answer but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks again...

RDMSYS
Old 7/31/23, 10:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
If you can find the spring rates, you can compare them -- a higher number is a stiffer spring. I doubt the Steeda springs are very much different, but it depends on which ones; and unfortunately it can be hard to find the spring rates, apparently the manufacturers don't want us to know this information.

There is no magic in coilovers; they still have springs and dampers; my understanding is that coilovers are really good if you want extremely high spring rates, which you don't want. I don't think coilovers will help.

Which Koni struts/shocks did you get -- the Orange STR-T or the Yellow Sports? I'm guessing the STR-T, which are not adjustable. If you have the sports, you could try adjusting them softer.
Old 7/31/23, 12:07 PM

You are correct, the non adjustable Orange. I could see the Yellow adjustable for the shocks and maybe that would do something but what about the struts?

Those are still in conjunction with the lowering springs correct?

IDK, I can't be the only guy with this complaint, can I?
Old 7/31/23, 01:14 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmsys
Guys, long time.

So at the end of last year I bit the bullet and replaced my stock shocks/struts and springs to lower my 2012 GT.

I was a little hesitant and heard the comments about the rough ride but thought how bad can it be.

Well, I do like the way it sits. However, I think I ruined it. The ride is so bad now. Every single bump (and the roads here in PA are BAD) and groove is felt.

My wife even complains about it now and doesn't even wanna get in.

Barring all that, I'm thinking of going back to stock but I'm not sure about that either.

Would a different set of springs make it any better? (I've read Steedas are less harsh)

If I were to put Coil Overs on, would I be able to soften it up? I didn't do it originally because I was not even sure what the deal was with them.

I know they ain't cheap and I paid a lot to have the Konis installed. But at this point I gotta fix this somehow.

I tend to think that Coil Overs are the answer but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks again...

RDMSYS
After reading over your post, I can share from personal experience that switching to just lower rated springs alone won't resolve the harsh riding issues... It's a combination of shocks/struts and springs in tandem that determine overall ride quality... Prior to making the switch to Koni yellow adjustable struts/shocks, I ran Eibach Pro Lowering Springs with the OEM/stock struts/shocks and the overall ride quality was much softer before making the switch to my current Koni yellow adjustable struts/shocks... Even when the Koni yellows are adjusted at the full soft setting, the ride quality is still noticeably much stiffer when compared to the OEM/stock struts/shocks... The point I'm getting at here, is the struts/shocks have the most influence when it comes to the stiffness or softness of the suspension...

Therefore, before you go spending your hard-earned money on different springs, I would strongly recommend reinstalling your OEM stock struts/shocks and see first if you notice a softer ride quality with your current lowering springs, providing of course that your lowering springs are also compatible with stock struts/shocks, if they are not compatible? then consider reinstalling your OEM/stock springs with your aftermarket struts/shocks... This way, you'll know for certain which setup provides the most difference or improvement in ride quality...

If you happen to notice a softer ride quality by just reinstalling your stock shocks/struts? then you'll know beyond a reasonable doubt that it's your Koni's that are mostly responsible for the increase in suspension stiffness... If you still want to upgrade to a performance quality strut/shock? I would highly recommend making the switch from your Koni's to Bilstein B6 struts/shocks which are well known for improving road handling without sacrificing ride comfort... If I were able to do it over again, I would've gone with Bilstein B6 struts/shocks over my Koni yellow adjustable dampers, hands down!

Meanwhile, hope you find the information provided as useful and Btw: I'm also from PA, southwestern PA to be exact, so I know from personal experience just how bad the PA roads are here lol.
Old 7/31/23, 01:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The yellows probably would be worse, I'm told they can be quite firm (depending on how they are adjusted)

Ride is very subjective, but I assume it is a common complaint. My car is lowered on FRPP progressive springs and my wife also finds it very uncomfortable. Even for me it is a bit stiff for daily driving.

I don't know the specifics of those SR springs; but some softer springs might help. That's why I suggested checking the springf rates. There are "progressive" rate springs, such as FRPP, that have a softer initial compression rate, which are supposed to help with this; but I have them on my car and honesly not crazy about the ride, it is a bit "jittery." Steeda Super Light springs might be worth a look.
Old 7/31/23, 02:17 PM

Thanks @Bert and @m05fastbackGT . There is a lot to unpack here lol. I didn't think it was going to be an easy fix.

I am not doing these myself lol as I am slightly mechanically challenged so I'd be giving my guy a ton of cash. He charged me $700 to install them all which I didn't think was that bad.
I think he'll think I'm nuts too. AND, he's the guy that said "You're not gonna like it" before I told him to do it.

Ok, so Yellows and coilovers are out. @m05fastbackGT

I think I'd rather cut right to the chase and try the Bilsteins?

Seems like under $500 for both. I know I'm throwing money out the window but I don't think I have a choice at this point.

I've even thought of just selling it outright.

Thanks again guys.
Old 7/31/23, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
The yellows probably would be worse, I'm told they can be quite firm (depending on how they are adjusted)

Ride is very subjective, but I assume it is a common complaint. My car is lowered on FRPP progressive springs and my wife also finds it very uncomfortable. Even for me it is a bit stiff for daily driving.

I don't know the specifics of those SR springs; but some softer springs might help. That's why I suggested checking the springf rates. There are "progressive" rate springs, such as FRPP, that have a softer initial compression rate, which are supposed to help with this; but I have them on my car and honesly not crazy about the ride, it is a bit "jittery." Steeda Super Light springs might be worth a look.
Just an FYI: Eibach is the manufacturer of your FRPP progressive springs... Therefore, my Eibach Pro Springs are pretty much identical with your FRPP progressive springs... Just as I mentioned in my response to the OP, it's the dampers which effect the stiffness of the suspension over the spring rates... Even if the OP were to consider upgrading to springs such as Steeda Ultra-Lites which are still a progressive rated spring, the OP would notice very little to no improvement at all in overall ride quality... Perhaps, if the OP were able to locate springs which are linear rated vs progressive rated, then perhaps a linear rated spring might provide an improvement with a softer ride quality, but when paired together with a strut/shock which is designed for performance, they are nevertheless going to provide an increased stiffness to the suspension, resulting in more harshness to the overall ride quality due to their valving... By just making the switch to a lower rated spring alone, is like comparing apples to oranges, rather than from apples to apples...

As far as I'm concerned, the OP could install a lowering spring which may have the lowest spring rate possible, but when paired together with struts/shocks designed to increase stiffness in the suspension, by just making the switch to springs alone is defeating the entire purpose which is a waste of both time and hard-earned money... This was the reason, I suggested to the OP to consider reinstalling the OEM struts/shocks first while still running his current SR springs to find out if there's a noticeable improvement in ride quality... That way. he'll know for certain that it's his Koni dampers which I've suspected all along, to begin with... The OP has nothing to lose other than just time by reinstalling his OEM struts/shocks in order to know for certain as to which suspension components are responsible for causing his harsh ride quality issues!
Old 7/31/23, 02:30 PM

On a side note whilst I was researching this to death before doing, everyone said to NOT just put lowering springs on with the OEM shocks/struts lol so I didn't.

I know theres lots of opinions and what not, however maybe that would alleviate the problem. Like I said I can't do the swapping out myself so I'd be spending a ton of cash swapping all these components.

I hear what you are saying and I get it. Maybe I should just put EVERYTHING back and call the whole thing a failed experiment, I don't know.
Old 7/31/23, 02:56 PM

Not necessarily! It depends on if the lowering springs are also compatible with the OEM struts/shocks... My Eibach Pro lowering springs are also compatible with the OEM struts/shocks...
My reason for upgrading to the Koni yellow struts/shocks were to improve road handling, but as mentioned earlier, I ended up sacrificing ride comfort as a direct result...

If I had known this prior to purchasing the Koni adjustable yellows, I would've gone with Bilstein B6 struts/shocks instead...
Old 7/31/23, 07:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Not necessarily! It depends on if the lowering springs are also compatible with the OEM struts/shocks... My Eibach Pro lowering springs are also compatible with the OEM struts/shocks...
My reason for upgrading to the Koni yellow struts/shocks were to improve road handling, but as mentioned earlier, I ended up sacrificing ride comfort as a direct result...

If I had known this prior to purchasing the Koni adjustable yellows, I would've gone with Bilstein B6 struts/shocks instead...
I have thought the same thing Rocky, then I put it together with the Vogtland Springs and the Continentals on the car and am pulling 1.2 G's in the corners and could possible get more with a stickier tire.
I had the SRT.T's on my 2010 with the Vogtland on it and truthfully the Sports are close to twice as harsh even with them on soft. It was still a rough ride but not like the 2013.
Who on here ran the Ford kit, I thought it was supposed to have a somewhat stockish ride.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (8/1/23)
Old 7/31/23, 08:47 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Siber Express
I have thought the same thing Rocky, then I put it together with the Vogtland Springs and the Continentals on the car and am pulling 1.2 G's in the corners and could possible get more with a stickier tire.
I had the SRT.T's on my 2010 with the Vogtland on it and truthfully the Sports are close to twice as harsh even with them on soft. It was still a rough ride but not like the 2013.
Who on here ran the Ford kit, I thought it was supposed to have a somewhat stockish ride.
Only FRPP stuff I've had was the shocks, springs sway bars, strut brace etc that came on my 08 from Shelby. It didn't seem a lot harsher than the 08 GT/CS I traded for it. But not sure which kit it was.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 7/31/23 at 08:48 PM.
Old 8/1/23, 07:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have the FRPP "P" springs (supposedly 1" drop front and rear) with the Bilstein struts/shocks. Don't expect any major miracles from the Bilsteins -- I think they might be a little softer than the Konis, but not much. I am not sure, but I think this set-up might be a little under-damped on rebound; the ride is a bit "jittery" ... I had Steeda Sports on GT500 struts/shocks before this, and I think I liked that ride better; it was firm but not as "jittery" as this. It is hard to describe, and also hard to compare, since I can't drive them side-by-side so I'm going by memory on what it used to be like.

The springs and struts/shocks work together to produce the "ride quality" -- not sure in the OP's case, which is dominating. The struts/shocks need to be matched to the springs, to provide the right amount of damping to keep the springs under control without being "over-damped." The Bilsteins might be a better match for the SR springs, I am not sure.
Old 8/1/23, 12:50 PM

Thanks Bert,

I hear what you are saying but I may try the Bilsteins. Seems like not a big deal to just swap in Shocks. After that I'll maybe look at springs.

Also, is it safe to say that the struts are not that responsible for stiffness, mostly the springs/shocks?

Would it be ok to just leave the Koni struts alone?
Old 8/1/23, 01:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Also, is it safe to say that the struts are not that responsible for stiffness, mostly the springs/shocks?
I think it's really both -- the "dampers" (struts and shocks) and the springs. One or the other could be dominating your situation, I am not sure which. M05 suggested earlier that he thinks it is more the struts/shocks that are doing it in your situation, and I think he said that because Konis are more race/track oriented that street, and can be a bit firm for street use. So I think I would try changing the struts and shocks first, but I would also try to find out about the spring rates, so you can compare the springs. If you found out that the SR Performance springs are a lot stiffer than the stock springs, that would explain it and would point to the springs as the bigger driver.

The "struts" are on the front, and the "shocks" are on the rear. So if you only change the shocks, it will change how the rear acts, but won't affect the front.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (8/1/23)
Old 8/1/23, 02:06 PM

Ken! I don't know if the info provided provides any real answers or not, but here's some info located on the spring rates and specs for the Vogtland Sport Springs.... I also agree on the Koni Sports as being twice as harsh compared to the Koni SRT.T's even when adjusted to full soft settings... Despite not liking the ride quality, I suppose that thru the years, I was finally able to tolerate and deal with it better... Being that now I'm on a fixed income, I can no longer afford to throw money down the drain on replacing aftermarket parts just because I may not like the ride quality very much...

Spring Rate Comparisons

Vogtland Sport Springs- 2005-14 Mustang GT

Vogtland Sport Springs - 2005-14 Mustang GT

I have the FRPP "P" springs (supposedly 1" drop front and rear) with the Bilstein struts/shocks. Don't expect any major miracles from the Bilsteins -- I think they might be a little softer than the Konis, but not much. I am not sure, but I think this set-up might be a little under-damped on rebound; the ride is a bit "jittery" ... I had Steeda Sports on GT500 struts/shocks before this, and I think I liked that ride better; it was firm but not as "jittery" as this. It is hard to describe, and also hard to compare, since I can't drive them side-by-side so I'm going by memory on what it used to be like.

The springs and struts/shocks work together to produce the "ride quality" -- not sure in the OP's case, which is dominating. The struts/shocks need to be matched to the springs, to provide the right amount of damping to keep the springs under control without being "over-damped." The Bilsteins might be a better match for the SR springs, I am not sure.
Do you happen to know who manufactures the GT500 struts/shocks? It would be very helpful to both the OP and others and if they're able to locate and purchase them as a possible alternative to their current suspension setup... Also, which Bilstein dampers are you running, are they Bilstein B6 struts/shocks?

Thanks Bert,

I hear what you are saying but I may try the Bilsteins. Seems like not a big deal to just swap in Shocks. After that I'll maybe look at springs.

Would it be ok to just leave the Koni struts alone?
Absolutely NOT!!!
The struts are most definitely just as responsible for stiffness as the springs and shocks... As I mentioned from the beginning, start out by having just your stock struts/shocks reinstalled and find out if you notice a difference in stiffness... This method is the best way to rule out the need for spending more money on springs that may not solve your ride stiffness issues... If, however, the stock struts/shocks don't improve the ride quality? then you will know for certain it's the springs which are responsible... Both methods will take all of the guess work out altogether... Also keep in mind what Bert brought up about not being sure if the Bilstein's are compatible with your SR springs nor if you'll notice much of an improvement or not...

You may also want to consider contacting Steeda Autosports to find out what the spring rates for the Steeda Ultra-Lite and Steeda Sport Springs are? I've posted product links below if interested?

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustan...-555-8206.html
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustan...-555-8215.html

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 8/1/23 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added product links
Old 8/1/23, 03:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ken! I don't know if the info provided provides any real answers or not, but here's some info located on the spring rates and specs for the Vogtland Sport Springs.... I also agree on the Koni Sports as being twice as harsh compared to the Koni SRT.T's even when adjusted to full soft settings... Despite not liking the ride quality, I suppose that thru the years, I was finally able to tolerate and deal with it better... Being that now I'm on a fixed income, I can no longer afford to throw money down the drain on replacing aftermarket parts just because I may not like the ride quality very much...
Vogtland was the closest to the stock ride quality at the low end, the Koni Sports made that a moot point though. I researched and for the drop or seriously the level that I wanted the Vogtlands were spot on. Back when I did my 2010 the gt spring were advertised as V6 level so I have the GT springs in my V6, .8/1.2 instead of the 1.2/1.2. I know the 2007 GT500 springs that my Performance package V6 came with was actually the 1.2 drop in the front anyways.
Old 8/1/23, 06:11 PM

Vogtland was the closest to the stock ride quality at the low end, the Koni Sports made that a moot point though. I researched and for the drop or seriously the level that I wanted the Vogtlands were spot on. Back when I did my 2010 the gt spring were advertised as V6 level so I have the GT springs in my V6, .8/1.2 instead of the 1.2/1.2. I know the 2007 GT500 springs that my Performance package V6 came with was actually the 1.2 drop in the front anyways.
I also noticed the very same ride quality with the Eibach pro springs prior to upgrading to the Koni Sports... Once the Koni Sports were installed, the suspension became noticeably much stiffer, even when adjusted to the maximum soft setting... As mentioned previously, if I had known about the Koni sports prior to purchasing them, I would have gone with Bilstein B6 dampers instead... Here's what I also don't quite understand though, how is that Koni paired together they're sport adjustable dampers along with Eibach pro kit lowering springs as a package if the dampening specs aren't compatible between them? I also noticed that Bilstein also paired together they're B6 dampers with Eibach pro kit lowering springs as a package as well...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 8/1/23 at 06:14 PM.
Old 8/2/23, 03:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I also noticed the very same ride quality with the Eibach pro springs prior to upgrading to the Koni Sports... Once the Koni Sports were installed, the suspension became noticeably much stiffer, even when adjusted to the maximum soft setting... As mentioned previously, if I had known about the Koni sports prior to purchasing them, I would have gone with Bilstein B6 dampers instead... Here's what I also don't quite understand though, how is that Koni paired together they're sport adjustable dampers along with Eibach pro kit lowering springs as a package if the dampening specs aren't compatible between them? I also noticed that Bilstein also paired together they're B6 dampers with Eibach pro kit lowering springs as a package as well...
I just went with this option, you change from the stock suspension ride quality suffers, the Koni Sports make it even worse. The results are real nice though when you are cruising in the mountains

Old 8/2/23, 06:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Spring Rate Comparisons ....

Do you happen to know who manufactures the GT500 struts/shocks? It would be very helpful to both the OP and others and if they're able to locate and purchase them as a possible alternative to their current suspension setup... Also, which Bilstein dampers are you running, are they Bilstein B6 struts/shocks?
Thanks for posting the spring rates. They are hard to find. Vorschlag had a bunch of test results for different springs, where they actually tested them in a press, but I can't find it now. As I recall, there actually wasn't much difference in the initial spring rates, similar to the numbers that you posted.

I am not sure who made the GT500 struts/shocks for Ford; I think I might have heard that it was Koni but that could be completely wrong. Maybe if I get ambitious this weekend I could dig them out and see if there are any markings on them. I am talking about the 2007-2009 GT500 which had slightly stiffer springs and shocks, due to its higher weight than the regular GT's of that day. There was a lot of GT500 take-off stuff available around 2010-2012 and I got them cheap off Craig's List.

I bought this complete set-up from Vorschlag: Vorshlag-Bilstein StreetPro Monotube Suspension Kit (S197 Mustang) (vorshlag-store.com)

It doesn't say if they are the B6 struts, but I think they are. Paperwork doesn't say, boxes are burried in storage ... I also have B12 in my head but not sure. Supposedly the struts that Vorschlag sells are shorter than OEM, to allow for more travel on lowered cars, but I have seen some posts that suggest there is no real difference. You got me wondering now so maybe I'll take a look later....
Old 8/2/23, 01:33 PM

Thanks for posting the spring rates. They are hard to find. Vorschlag had a bunch of test results for different springs, where they actually tested them in a press, but I can't find it now. As I recall, there actually wasn't much difference in the initial spring rates, similar to the numbers that you posted.

I am not sure who made the GT500 struts/shocks for Ford; I think I might have heard that it was Koni but that could be completely wrong. Maybe if I get ambitious this weekend I could dig them out and see if there are any markings on them. I am talking about the 2007-2009 GT500 which had slightly stiffer springs and shocks, due to its higher weight than the regular GT's of that day. There was a lot of GT500 take-off stuff available around 2010-2012 and I got them cheap off Craig's List.

I bought this complete set-up from Vorschlag: Vorshlag-Bilstein StreetPro Monotube Suspension Kit (S197 Mustang) (vorshlag-store.com)

It doesn't say if they are the B6 struts, but I think they are. Paperwork doesn't say, boxes are burried in storage ... I also have B12 in my head but not sure. Supposedly the struts that Vorschlag sells are shorter than OEM, to allow for more travel on lowered cars, but I have seen some posts that suggest there is no real difference. You got me wondering now so maybe I'll take a look later....
I ended up getting into a huge argument with Vorschlag Racing on S197 forums several years ago over their claims that Bilstein manufactured a custom version of they're B6 dampers to Vorschlag Racing specs... Needless to say, after speaking with 2 senior techs from Bilstein, both denied those claims and clearly stated that Bilstein does not modify or customize any of its suspension components nor is it their policy to build customized/one-off versions of their products to anybody... In addition, the person I spoke with from Vorschlag was very uncooperative, very unprofessional and very sarcastic when I requested to seek information regarding in their product specs... i also saw images from their website that clearly had the Bilstein B6 manufacturer's part number stamped on the body...

At any rate, from my personal experience with Vorschlag Racing, I found them to be very disrespectful and very untrustworthy and would therefore never recommend that anybody ever do business with them... As for who was the manufacturer for the 2007-09 GT500 struts/shocks, I heard that it may have been Tokico? but don't quote me on that!

Quick Reply: 2012 GT Kona Shocks/Struts SR Springs ride is kinda bad