Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

What're you doing?

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/14, 11:51 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bjbsav
I have two nest at my house. I saw a huge drop in my bill.
Why? Was your previous thermostat defective?
Old 6/20/14, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to add some long missing detail to my profile.
Old 6/21/14, 07:49 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,663 Posts
Went to a local car show today very nice turnout!
What're you doing?-image-696949846.jpg
What're you doing?-image-952010005.jpg
What're you doing?-image-2999971637.jpg
What're you doing?-image-1013212173.jpg
What're you doing?-image-878033017.jpg
What're you doing?-image-1292446081.jpg
What're you doing?-image-729006137.jpg
What're you doing?-image-4082906281.jpg
What're you doing?-image-116682016.jpg
What're you doing?-image-396692449.jpg
What're you doing?-image-2697482770.jpg
What're you doing?-image-3952915356.jpg
What're you doing?-image-2582911258.jpg
What're you doing?-image-95477976.jpg
What're you doing?-image-2548973006.jpg
What're you doing?-image-2607236513.jpg
What're you doing?-image-528749077.jpg
What're you doing?-image-4137831179.jpg
What're you doing?-image-2838082808.jpg
What're you doing?-image-3989146059.jpg
What're you doing?-image-2083217575.jpg
What're you doing?-image-3156092056.jpg
What're you doing?-image-2681086495.jpg
What're you doing?-image-3529672258.jpg
What're you doing?-image-1941669080.jpg
What're you doing?-image-2044354718.jpg
Old 6/21/14, 08:04 PM
Post *****

Nice collection! Even had a Javelin!

I put a Javelin bucket seat in my '70 Land Cruiser for my backpack adventure across the West, NW, Canadian Rockies to Coast Range in '76. I had the Captain seat! My 2 buddies shared 'the bench'.
(It was more comfortable than my GT500 seats (headrests aren't right)

The interior for 1970 was also a one-year design featuring a broad dashboard (wood grained on SST models), new center console, revised interior door panel trim, and tall "clamshell" bucket seats with integral headrests...

Kick Back Jack...

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/21/14 at 08:10 PM.
Old 6/21/14, 09:13 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
That sounds like an awesome time. Doing trips like that are so much more expensive these days.

I want to do a 3-4 week long road trip around the country at some point. Shy of staying with lots of friends along the way, hotel rooms would get hella high.
Old 6/21/14, 09:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
That sounds like an awesome time. Doing trips like that are so much more expensive these days.

I want to do a 3-4 week long road trip around the country at some point. Shy of staying with lots of friends along the way, hotel rooms would get hella high.
I have 3 places you can crash on that trip. But 2 of them are only 40 miles apart :waster:
Old 6/21/14, 10:29 PM
NTTAWWT

I'll probably take you up on that

I do want to visit Texas for a while too. It'd be awesome to see the sights and live like a Texan for a while. If have to pick up some boots and a hat too. Might even make a trip to the honky tonks Gary talks about.
Old 6/21/14, 10:42 PM
Post *****

I'll probably take you up on that

I do want to visit Texas for a while too. It'd be awesome to see the sights and live like a Texan for a while. If have to pick up some boots and a hat too. Might even make a trip to the honky tonks Gary talks about.
Just make sure its a real cowboy hat.

https://themustangsource.com/f657/mu...3/#post6792707
Old 6/21/14, 11:35 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Nice collection! Even had a Javelin!

I put a Javelin bucket seat in my '70 Land Cruiser for my backpack adventure across the West, NW, Canadian Rockies to Coast Range in '76. I had the Captain seat! My 2 buddies shared 'the bench'.
(It was more comfortable than my GT500 seats (headrests aren't right)

The interior for 1970 was also a one-year design featuring a broad dashboard (wood grained on SST models), new center console, revised interior door panel trim, and tall "clamshell" bucket seats with integral headrests...

Kick Back Jack...
I've always liked the Javelin. Especially the AMX in red white and blue. There's an orange Javelin with white stripes that creeps around here from time to time that sounds ****ing NASTY! Just shakes the ground.

You should, its awesome. I've done it many times through the years, been through every state. multiple times. 3-4 week trips like that are great to see some amazing things in our country. Don't worry about hotel rooms unless you have to, do backpacking trips in National Parks, car camp in camp grounds, etc.
Old 6/22/14, 12:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I've always liked the Javelin. Especially the AMX in red white and blue. There's an orange Javelin with white stripes that creeps around here from time to time that sounds ****ing NASTY! Just shakes the ground. You should, its awesome. I've done it many times through the years, been through every state. multiple times. 3-4 week trips like that are great to see some amazing things in our country. Don't worry about hotel rooms unless you have to, do backpacking trips in National Parks, car camp in camp grounds, etc.
If you can afford to not work that long. Most people can't.

I've been to most of the states though
Old 6/22/14, 12:59 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by laserred38
If you can afford to not work that long. Most people can't.
Most people lived beyond their means when they were young instead of saving and investing. Bought expensive cars and clothes and phones and big houses and **** and going out to fancy restaurants because they had a good income and thought they were rich at the time instead of doing without for 10-15 years and hoarding that money up and putting it into things to make more money. Not saying anything bad about them, just that it is foolish and short lived. You have to think about what happens if you get hurt, the economy falls, etc. and that money isn't there anymore. It happens. A lot.

As much as people in their 20s and early 30s like to think that they are smarter than anyone on earth, they're not. I was the same way, luckily I had some older people that had been through that phase that guided me on the right path, sometimes forcefully with me kicking and screaming the whole way and thinking they were idiots because they were "old school". Luckily I succumbed to what they were trying to teach me.
Old 6/22/14, 01:14 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Most people lived beyond their means when they were young instead of saving and investing. Bought expensive cars and clothes and phones and big houses and **** and going out to fancy restaurants because they had a good income and thought they were rich at the time instead of doing without for 10-15 years and hoarding that money up and putting it into things to make more money. Not saying anything bad about them, just that it is foolish and short lived. You have to think about what happens if you get hurt, the economy falls, etc. and that money isn't there anymore. It happens. A lot. As much as people in their 20s and early 30s like to think that they are smarter than anyone on earth, they're not. I was the same way, luckily I had some older people that had been through that phase that guided me on the right path, sometimes forcefully with me kicking and screaming the whole way and thinking they were idiots because they were "old school". Luckily I succumbed to what they were trying to teach me.
Well debt is something I'm gonna live with for a while. I make decent money and enjoy nice things but I try not to go beyond my means. It happens sometimes. Big house and private schools is a mother but hopefully it ends up ok. As long as I'm somewhat comfortable, I'm satisfied. Grew up dirt poor and my kids don't know what that's like. Don't know if that will help or hurt them in the long run.
Old 6/22/14, 01:44 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Well debt is something I'm gonna live with for a while. I make decent money and enjoy nice things but I try not to go beyond my means. It happens sometimes. Big house and private schools is a mother but hopefully it ends up ok. As long as I'm somewhat comfortable, I'm satisfied. Grew up dirt poor and my kids don't know what that's like. Don't know if that will help or hurt them in the long run.
Its hard to do nowadays, I was probably right at the end of the era where you could accomplish that, luckily. But even today you can still cut back and do without and not really suffer. Of course "suffer" is a relative term nowadays. People think that if they don't have the newest Iphone, the biggest house on the block or brand new cars they are "suffering". Not like that back in my day.

My parents never made much money, I grew up poor. And when I say poor, people nowadays would think OMG poor. But I never realized it because we got by. Had a roof over our heads, food to eat (maybe not the fanciest stuff, ate a lot of beans and taters) but we got by. Lived in a tiny little trailer for years until they could afford to build a small house, which they saved up for.

Heck, my mom only finished high school and my dad only had a 6th grade education. But they were frugal and saved. The most money my parents ever made was in the early 2000's and combined with her as a secretary and him as a mechanic in a textile factory the most they ever made was less than $50K in a year combined, but because they did without, lived within their means and invested they've amassed multi-million dollars in assets and retirement accounts. And won't touch that money at all. She still works even though she doesn't have to but he had to retire because he couldn't physically do the work he used to do. And they still live frugally but they are in a position that they can do whatever they want to do if they so choose.

They didn't starve or struggle to get by to do that, they just provided their basic needs and lived. People nowadays have no concept of that. I see people nowadays that are only a couple with no kids but they have 3,4,5 expensive vehicles, large 4-5 bedroom houses, and hit the most expensive spots in town but aren't saving or investing a thing.

That's why we are ****ed as a country.
Old 6/22/14, 02:49 AM

Its hard to do nowadays, I was probably right at the end of the era where you could accomplish that, luckily. But even today you can still cut back and do without and not really suffer. Of course "suffer" is a relative term nowadays. People think that if they don't have the newest Iphone, the biggest house on the block or brand new cars they are "suffering". Not like that back in my day. My parents never made much money, I grew up poor. And when I say poor, people nowadays would think OMG poor. But I never realized it because we got by. Had a roof over our heads, food to eat (maybe not the fanciest stuff, ate a lot of beans and taters) but we got by. Lived in a tiny little trailer for years until they could afford to build a small house, which they saved up for. Heck, my mom only finished high school and my dad only had a 6th grade education. But they were frugal and saved. The most money my parents ever made was in the early 2000's and combined with her as a secretary and him as a mechanic in a textile factory the most they ever made was less than $50K in a year combined, but because they did without, lived within their means and invested they've amassed multi-million dollars in assets and retirement accounts. And won't touch that money at all. She still works even though she doesn't have to but he had to retire because he couldn't physically do the work he used to do. And they still live frugally but they are in a position that they can do whatever they want to do if they so choose. They didn't starve or struggle to get by to do that, they just provided their basic needs and lived. People nowadays have no concept of that. I see people nowadays that are only a couple with no kids but they have 3,4,5 expensive vehicles, large 4-5 bedroom houses, and hit the most expensive spots in town but aren't saving or investing a thing. That's why we are ****ed as a country.
They gotta keep up with the neighbors. Where I am, it's ridiculous. I shake my head thinking there's no way these people can keep their head above water. But they keep on buying whatever the neighbors have and usually it's the better model. I'm getting to be a tight **** and big purchases don't happen often. If it's a toy and not a necessity, I usually just let it go. Kinda like the cobra. Just wasn't using it anyways.
Old 6/22/14, 03:06 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

They gotta keep up with the neighbors. Where I am, it's ridiculous. I shake my head thinking there's no way these people can keep their head above water. But they keep on buying whatever the neighbors have and usually it's the better model. I'm getting to be a tight **** and big purchases don't happen often. If it's a toy and not a necessity, I usually just let it go. Kinda like the cobra. Just wasn't using it anyways.
Look man, take care of the boys, spend whatever it takes to get them a good education, you can't imagine what I'm spending on the little guy for private schools and extra-curricular activities. But be a cheap **** on other things, invest every penny you have into things that will come back when you get older. I know its hard to do when you are young to see the big picture, but you have to look 20-30 years down the road. Do without right now, and you will reap the benefits down the road. Those people next door will be ****ed and broke in 20 years even though they have the best stuff right now. You put your money away and invest it well, in 20 years when they are ****ed, you'll be able to buy what ever you want and sit on your *** in the pool all day if you wish to.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 6/22/14 at 03:09 AM.
Old 6/22/14, 08:08 AM

Look man, take care of the boys, spend whatever it takes to get them a good education, you can't imagine what I'm spending on the little guy for private schools and extra-curricular activities. But be a cheap **** on other things, invest every penny you have into things that will come back when you get older. I know its hard to do when you are young to see the big picture, but you have to look 20-30 years down the road. Do without right now, and you will reap the benefits down the road. Those people next door will be ****ed and broke in 20 years even though they have the best stuff right now. You put your money away and invest it well, in 20 years when they are ****ed, you'll be able to buy what ever you want and sit on your *** in the pool all day if you wish to.
Good advice. One thing Al has working for him is time. He is still young and saving small now means it can be a lot 20 to 30 years down the road. Most people dont grasp the power of compounding. It doesn't take much, just regular, steady contributions. Then the kids get off on their own and suddenly it seems like you received a 200% raise. You can up your lifestyle and still save a lot. But dont end up a waster like me.
Old 6/22/14, 08:13 AM

If it's a toy and not a necessity, I usually just let it go. Kinda like the cobra. Just wasn't using it anyways.
I really admire you for that. I feel guilty hat the Boss just sits in the garage and think I should sell it. But I'll be driving it daily for the next 2 weeks so I guess that will justify another year.
Old 6/22/14, 03:18 PM
NTTAWWT

Aside from my student loans I basically have no debt. Haven't even bought a regular car to drive because i don't like where it'd put me financially. Sucks to have to spend as much as I do on my student loans, but far gone are the days where you could go to school for a year on what you made over the summer.
Old 6/22/14, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by phiggs54
I really admire you for that. I feel guilty hat the Boss just sits in the garage and think I should sell it. But I'll be driving it daily for the next 2 weeks so I guess that will justify another year.
Yeah but you're at a different point in life. You can justify toys that just sit there. I'm planning on another car of course. But it will be a usable one. Probably be a lot cheaper project also. I get bored with cars. Half the fun is the builds. Too many things take priority over my car hobby even though it's a part of me that I won't give up ever. I want a lot of stuff and could probably afford most of them. I really don't need shyt. Lol
Old 6/22/14, 04:42 PM
Houston xBox Players
Club President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's Sunday... Don't judge us
Attached Thumbnails What're you doing?-image-991302886.jpg   What're you doing?-image-1014491858.jpg