Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Recieived a Bulletin from MySpace telling everyone not to pump gas on May 15

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/07, 08:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
yeah I like how gas always went up after disasters like 9-11 and Katrina...but now...all is fine and we are paying more than ever.
Not exactly true...a number of refineries are shutdown for maintenance. Gasoline production output is down until the refineries come back online.
Old 5/18/07, 01:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the myspace network, and the
average car takes about 20 to 30 dollars to fill up.
If all myspace members did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,200,000,000.00 (that's BILLION) out of the oil companys pockets for just one day.
Hmmmmm, I may be an idiot, but as far as I know, ther majority of drivers do not completely empty their tanks and then refill them daily. Even once a week would drop that figure to $314m. The companies really wouldn't be worried about that.

(bty, gas here is at a high as well......$7.50 / usg. It costs me over $110 to fill my Jeep....)
Old 5/18/07, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgsmuzzy
Hmmmmm, I may be an idiot, but as far as I know, ther majority of drivers do not completely empty their tanks and then refill them daily. Even once a week would drop that figure to $314m. The companies really wouldn't be worried about that.

(bty, gas here is at a high as well......$7.50 / usg. It costs me over $110 to fill my Jeep....)
Wow, I guess we shouldn't complain
Old 5/18/07, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1969 Mustang Mach 1
Wow, I guess we shouldn't complain
this is how they want you to think.
Old 5/18/07, 03:47 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you know what really gets me?....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\||
|_________________||'""|""\_____
|_________________||__ |__|____|)
|(@) |(@)""**|(@)(@)**|(@)|(@)
why does your truck have 2 axles under the engine? a 20 wheeler?
Old 5/18/07, 04:14 PM
I'm people, and I like.

It costs me over $110 to fill my Jeep....)
Old 5/21/07, 08:30 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Knight
you know what really gets me?....

why does your truck have 2 axles under the engine? a 20 wheeler?
I don't know! I had never thought someone would study it so closely!

Old 5/21/07, 09:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TomServo92
Not exactly true...a number of refineries are shutdown for maintenance. Gasoline production output is down until the refineries come back online.
Maintenance my ***. Every summer, supposedly demand goes up. What moron schedules mainteance during peak demand season?

IMO, this is just big oil artificially reducing supply to squeeze more money out of us. They shut down and reduce refining capacity to increase the price.

With prices as high as it is, I'll be curious how the tourist/vacation season does over the summer. Its almost cost prohibitive to do a road trip anymore.
Old 5/21/07, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GhostTX
Maintenance my ***. Every summer, supposedly demand goes up. What moron schedules mainteance during peak demand season?

IMO, this is just big oil artificially reducing supply to squeeze more money out of us. They shut down and reduce refining capacity to increase the price.

With prices as high as it is, I'll be curious how the tourist/vacation season does over the summer. Its almost cost prohibitive to do a road trip anymore.
Actually maintenance is scheduled 18-24 months out (it requires an immense amount of planning to define the work to be done and to shutdown and restart a refinery safely). As to the time of the year, I'm located on the Gulf coast and hurricane season starts June 1st. The reason we're in the middle of a turnaround now is that they want it done prior to storm season cranking up.
Old 5/22/07, 01:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Actually maintenance is scheduled 18-24 months out (it requires an immense amount of planning to define the work to be done and to shutdown and restart a refinery safely). As to the time of the year, I'm located on the Gulf coast and hurricane season starts June 1st. The reason we're in the middle of a turnaround now is that they want it done prior to storm season cranking up.
I'll still argue as to why it was scheduled during a peak demand time in the season. Why not earlier? January? Especially if its planned 2 years out.
Old 5/22/07, 02:06 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rather than a gasout, mustang owners should have a 'Short Shift' gasout...

For 1 month, don't shift past 2500.... save the gas .... so you're not filling as much and buying as much ....

Pffff hahahahha I don't think I could do that if I tried...
Old 5/22/07, 02:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$5.22 a gallon in Canada (121.4 per litre) and we pump the crude out of our ground in Alberta and send it to the USA...go figure.
Old 5/22/07, 02:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'll still argue as to why it was scheduled during a peak demand time in the season. Why not earlier? January? Especially if its planned 2 years out.
The schedule floats a bit due to scope changes, new findings (i.e unanticipated maintenance items), and resource availability. In our case, it was pushed out to the last minute. We shut down the second week of May and aren't scheduled to come back up until near the end of June. We're overlapping into the start of hurricane season by nearly a month albeit early in the season when the storms are less common. Just for clarification, the entire refinery is not shutdown, just a major portion of it. The rest of the refinery is still processing only at a reduced rate. Next year, another large section is scheduled for maintance in January (last I heard there haven't been any schedule changes). After that, we don't have another scheduled shutdown until 2010 when another major processing unit will undergo maintenance.
Old 5/22/07, 02:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Just for clarification, the entire refinery is not shutdown, just a major portion of it. The rest of the refinery is still processing only at a reduced rate. Next year, another large section is scheduled for maintance in January (last I heard there haven't been any schedule changes). After that, we don't have another scheduled shutdown until 2010 when another major processing unit will undergo maintenance.
And I'm sure gas prices will decrease from that increase in production after next year, right?
Old 5/22/07, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

And I'm sure gas prices will decrease from that increase in production after next year, right?
Hey, I'm just a lowly peon. I pay the same price for gas that you do and my income isn't going up commensurate with the profits of my employer. I don't particularly like it either. I was only trying impart some information I have regarding maintenance issues at the plant where I work that have impacted gasoline production. If there's some grand conspiracy to elevate the price of gas, I'm as much a victim of it as you are.
Old 5/22/07, 05:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by poldrv
$5.22 a gallon in Canada (121.4 per litre) and we pump the crude out of our ground in Alberta and send it to the USA...go figure.
Yeah but then our retarded Gov't will buy it back for twice they sold it !
Old 5/23/07, 07:32 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hey, I'm just a lowly peon. I pay the same price for gas that you do and my income isn't going up commensurate with the profits of my employer. I don't particularly like it either. I was only trying impart some information I have regarding maintenance issues at the plant where I work that have impacted gasoline production. If there's some grand conspiracy to elevate the price of gas, I'm as much a victim of it as you are.
I hear ya.

With record profits and seemingly artificial decreases in supply due to refinery capacity being down, its hard not to think of some underlying plan...
Old 5/23/07, 10:54 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Rather than a gasout, mustang owners should have a 'Short Shift' gasout...

For 1 month, don't shift past 2500.... save the gas .... so you're not filling as much and buying as much ....

Pffff hahahahha I don't think I could do that if I tried...
I actually think that would be a pretty great idea. But only if every person did this regardless of what car they had.

If people would drive normal and not ahve this suv moms flooring it from stop lights we would save a ton of gas.