Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

PULLED OVER

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/04, 05:35 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sri_bubba@November 29, 2004, 6:08 PM
Fog lights are called fog lights because they're meant for driving in fog.

Remember: driving in clear weather with fogs ON, BAD. Driving in clear weather with fogs OFF, GOOD.

If you feel the need to drive with your fogs ON in clear weather, you are either:

1. Overdriving the piece of road you are on, thereby endangering yourself and others

2. In need of an eyeglass perscription and thus overdriving the road etc. etc.

3. Trying to look cool, thereby endangering others who can't see through your glare

I don't know about state-by-state law but I do know you can be ticketed for unnecessary fogs in every state I've ever lived in, which is most of 'em (not PA though).

Turn your frickin' fog lights off; maybe you won't get pulled over again.
Although I agree with every bit of this, you're seriously wasting your breath... so to speak. I've tried to argue this point before, but it doesn't do any good. There are too many people out here who seriously believe they see the road ahead of them better with fogs on during a clear night, despite the fact they only illuminate the area they are about to drive over in about 2 seconds.

There's always a reason someone has to this, legitimate enough that they can't be called wrong. Even if the reason is..."I paid for them.. I should be able to use them whenever I want."
Old 11/29/04, 08:12 PM

I couldn't agree more, nicely put.
Old 11/30/04, 03:01 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

My Intrepid have fog lights and I use them all of time. Never got pulled over for that. I had Intrepid since 2000.

On the other hand, I was pulled over while driving Mustang because license cover on my rear license plate was too dark. License plate cover that I bought at K-Mart was illegal on the street?

Old 11/30/04, 07:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Some places make the covers illegal, check your laws. They tell me to take my tinted cover off all the time, but theres no law against it. '

They just want it off cuz it blocks the red light cameras flash and makes it so they can't get a clear picture of my tag. Don't know if you have got those in your area yet.
Old 12/1/04, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, slightly off topic but here's my closest "profiling" stop i encountered. I was driving a '73 beater Duster to work one very early Sunday morning. Only car on the road was mine and the cop going the other way. When we passed, he did a quick u-turn and got behind me. I sped through a yellow light and made my left with him trailing, knowing i'd see the light bar any second. Yup, there it goes....so i pull way over up on the grass as to make sure he's not standing in the road. He approaches and tells me the car was swerving and he didn't know if it was the fact that the car was old or perhaps something else. I knew he was checking for DWI's so i just laughed and said, "Yeah, the car is old and a lil' tired but it's going to get me to work this morning if it's the last thing it does". With that he said "Have a nice day" and he let me go my merry way.

Would you call that profiling? I could care less, the guy was looking for something and found nothing so he let me go. I'd like to have more cops like him out there knowing they're doing their jobs looking to keep drunks and what have you off the roads.

On another note, i was also stopped by the Coast Guard one night at 2am while Bass fishing in the Atlantic. I was trying to get close to a bouy because there was a hole adjacent to it where the fish would stack up. They pulled alongside of me "thinking" i may have been drinking. When they saw me and my buddy decked with fishing gear, they told us they wanted to make sure we weren't drunk and wished us luck on our fishing endevours. Again, was it profiling? Again, i could care less for i know nothing illegal was going on and they acknowledged that.

In reality, do you think "profiling" is a useful tool? I believe it is to an extent. Most perps/drunks/knuckleheads follow a certain pattern. Am i going to throw race into the mix? Perhaps thats something that should be left alone because we all know "stereotyping" people happens everyday. We're all stereotyped to a degree. When i tell people i'm from NY, they think i'll randomly shoot at them for looking at me the wrong way. Tell them you're from the South, and they think your having sex with your sister. We can't escape it.

....also, join a forum as a new member and people think you've just discovered the internet.