Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Grocery Store Gas.

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/08, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by titanjc
I live near campus... if you're familiar with the Lennox Center Target, I'm right around the corner from there.
That's awesome! Its good to know there is another tungsten around town. Maybe we will run into each other
Old 7/11/08, 11:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1996 was the year that cars were required to have OBD II and I have heard that they were also required to have alcohol safe gaskets and seals. Anything built prior to that would be suspect to damage. CNG and LPG would be better alternatives but we won't see that anytime in the near future. The oil companies would rather burn it off at the fields. The only CNG stations I have found near me belong to government agencies.

Off topic but to add to the OSU chat, I used to work on Ackerman right next to the 315 and lived up at Governors Square by Kenny and Henderson. A place called Industrial Nucleonics, I believe it later changed names to Combustion Engineering. Ended up marrying an OSU alum and me a Florida alum. Made for some interesting conversations back in '07 when we beat y'all for the national championship in both football and basketball. I never saw the wife after halftime in both games.

BB

Last edited by Centurion96; 7/11/08 at 11:21 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 7/12/08, 06:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Pwny
That's awesome! Its good to know there is another tungsten around town. Maybe we will run into each other
I hope for the Mustangs' sakes, you don't, if you get my drift.
Old 7/12/08, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by houtex

I had to read that a few times to get it
Old 7/12/08, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
LMAO that would be unfortunate hahaha
Old 7/13/08, 04:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I buy gasoline from grocery stores and never ran into a problem. In fact, I find that the grocery store gas like Meijer, is very high volume. The station gets refilled constantly and there's always a huge line of cars waiting to get gas during peak hours. These are signs that the gasoline you purchase will be fresh. That is more important than brand or "additives". I use Meijer 87 octane in my 07 GT and find that the Meijer 87 octane quality is pretty much the same throughout lower Michigan (from the East Side SE MI to Grand Rapids / Muskegon).
Old 7/13/08, 04:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Metroplex,

High volume is not a 100% guarantee that you will get GOOD gas. Before I started having the DTE problem with my Mustang, I was buying gas almost exclusively from the Flying J truck stock down the road. You wouldn't BELIEVE the amount of volume they do! From talking to the manager, he says they AVERAGE 6 to 10 tankers PER DAY during the week and 12 to 15 PER DAY on the weekends. And they do HUGE volumes with cars as well as trucks, so it isn't just the diesel that is fresh.

But at 16k miles, I started having the DTE error due to sulfur build up on the fuel sender. Switching to Chevron pretty much made it go away for another 17k (or so) miles. Using Flying J gas (or just anouth any other non Chevron gas for that matter) had the DTE error back within half a tank full. Switching back to Chevron would have the issue cleared up within half a tank full.

It's your money, so you get to pick, but for me at least, my Mustang is DEFINITELY happier with Chevron. Or at least the fuel sender is!
Old 7/13/08, 05:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only gas I have ever put in my Mustang is Union 76 and they don't buy mid eastern oil!
Old 7/13/08, 05:15 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
"....No offense, but what you stated about 10% Ethanol eating away at rubber seals/hoses ect. is absolute B.S." (Quote from Rocky)

Sorry partner, but it is FAR from BS. Just ask any of us, or any mechanic, that have Classic Cars. Maybe it doesn't effect your's and our New Car's. BUT it CERTAINLY does a job on the Needle Points in the Carburators, for one. And it does not last. It has NO shelf live. So having any Classic, that rarely is taken out, this 10% crap, is deteriorating the fuel system. Without aftermarket additives, and only puting in enough of that fuel you need, so it will not sit, does cause damage. Our Classic's, or Dinosaur's, if you prefer, require much more internal protection than ever before. And if not done, they will become museum pieces insted of road classics.
Sorry Dave, but I was strictly referring to my Stang, and newer cars. Now on the other hand, if I had known that you referring to classic cars. Then yes I would've agreed with you concerning 10% Ethanol effecting carburated fuel systems in older/classic cars.

However being that you didn't mention anything about classic cars in your original post. I really didn't have much info to rely on, if any before responding.
Old 7/14/08, 02:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
What is the DTE error? Distance to Empty? I don't have a trip computer so should I be worried? I'd fill up at Chevron but we don't have any in MI.
Old 7/14/08, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think sulfer is a byproduct of the refining process. If the gas isnt refined well then it remains in there and will collect on the sensor. I bought a couple of tanks of Meijer gas and got the gas gauge reading problem. The dealer put in a can of Techron and it fixed the problem. I would just stick with top tier gas and if possible find a station that does not put ethanol in their gas. The Shell stations around here have a sticker on the pump that says "this gas may contain 10% ethanol" I dont think it does at this time though because I still get great milleage.
Old 7/14/08, 08:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
What is the DTE error? Distance to Empty? I don't have a trip computer so should I be worried? I'd fill up at Chevron but we don't have any in MI.
a 2007 Mustang Gt no trip compture ? that doesn't sound right even by changing the setting yoiu dion't see it, every one that I seen can change from eng or metric or kilometers / miles how far driven / how much used/ how much left etc