Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Fear the walking dead

Anybody gonna watch this tomorrow?
Old 8/22/15, 05:05 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by YepItsGreen
Anybody gonna watch this tomorrow?
Huge TWD fan here, so count me in. As a tribute I'll be wearing my favorite t-shirt....
Attached Thumbnails Fear the walking dead-carolscookies.jpg  
Old 8/22/15, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Fear the walking dead

Lol I like that!!!
Old 8/23/15, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Fear the walking dead

Well at least I have someone here to talk to about the show lol
Old 8/23/15, 07:59 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Fear the walking dead

I'll probably watch it tomorrow. Recording it but the fiancé isn't home and trouble will follow if I watch w/o her haha
Old 8/24/15, 05:27 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
The pilot of the original TWD smacked me upside the head and got my attention immediately. I was hoping for the same from Fear The Walking Dead, but I just didn't feel the love right out of the box.

This was a bit slow moving, and it seemed that the producers were trying to force character development instead of letting it happen organically. The opening was a bit too much like the original. It was pretty predictable that Nick coming out of his drug stupor would stumble upon all that carnage. We saw that before with Rick. And I feel no sympathy for a drug addict loser.

I'd have liked to seen a few more hints and back story about the virus, and let them keep us guessing about some of the main characters later on in the premier. We know that "there are reports from 5 states", so some quick news reports and 2 or 3 second flashes showing other incidents outside of L.A. might have suggested an impending emergency while we wait for the police and other officials to start connecting dots.

I'll try to be fair and give it another shot next week and see if it develops differently than the original. But unlike TWD, I didn't find myself wanting to re-watch the first episode immediately to pick up on what I might have missed on the first viewing.
Old 8/24/15, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was pretty good
Old 8/24/15, 09:36 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I thought it was ok. I'll watch the next episode.
I thought the character dev was pretty good and approved the fact that they are a normal LA family, not cops with training and guns. Makes one think though 'what the he11 would i do? where would i go? what would i need to survive?' Tough questions made even tougher when you don't understand the virus or how extensive the devestation is.
Old 8/29/15, 04:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought there was entirely too much useless filler.

Go back to the scene where Travis is talking to Nick alone in the hospital, trying to find out what he saw. You could have gone immediately from that scene to the old guy dying in the bed beside Nick and it wouldn't have made any difference. Everything between those two points was meaningless drivel that only served to add time to the episode.

I think Fear the Walking Dead made two major mistakes. The first was to assume that everyone watching already knew The Walking Dead canon and thus, didn't need any attention given to the cause of the start of the zombie apocalypse. In my opinion that was a major missed opportunity to flesh out the real background of what was going on. It would have been a LOT more interesting if they had spent the first 30 minutes going in to how the pathogen was introduced into the Los Angeles population in the first place, and then once they established that switch over to Nick waking up from his drug sleep.

The second major mistake was spending too much time on character back story. In The Walking Dead you knew virtually nothing about the back story. It started with a police chase that ended with one cop shot, and then followed the present from there. You didn't get any real backstory until later episodes as characters explained their past to other survivors and flashback scenes were introduced. I think that was a much more effective form of story telling since you didn't know who the major characters were, and thus were always left wondering who was going to die next. Here we've already established that Nick is the prime character, and that his sister Alicia is a trivial element but will end up surviving with him. His mom is likely to live through several seasons, but boyfriend Travis ain't gonna make it. Chubby kid on the bus is a gonner as well. Since they've spent so much time doing character development they've taken a lot of the guesswork out of who is going to live and die.