General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

toyota buying subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/07, 09:23 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
This is true if you are measuring fuel consumption based on equivalent engine speeds and throttle openings. Small displacment high revving engines loose out to larger lower revving engines because they typically have to work harder to accelerate and maintian speed, especially if you are using vehicles that are nearly the same weight.
Not nessessarily. to maintain the same speed on two cars. they have to make x amount of hp(where x = amount it takes to fight drag and such at a given speed.)

A smaller engine has to rev up to make the same power as larger displament due to not having as much cylinder area to make the power with the same rpm. To make that hp you have to burn the same amount of air/fuel assumming both are tuned properly.

So assuming all things same, weight, gearing, tire size, drag coefficent
, and onyl difference was a large displacment V8 and 4cyl low diplacemnet(and somehow both engines weigh the same) Whichever cars engine has less rotational friction would get the best mileage.

The proplem most of the time is that a large displacment engine potentially has a lot more power so when you use that extra hp you also use proportional more gas.
Old 4/19/07, 12:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheese302
subaru has the highest return customer percentage in the world of cars, and i must say although kinda odd looking on some models, they make awesome cars
It is the Japanese SAAB. Their stuff is ok, they don't sell well though. The excellent Legacy GT goes unnoticed and it's one of the best mid-sized sedans out there(the wagon is pretty slick too). Its a poor-man's Audi.
Old 4/19/07, 01:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
It is the Japanese SAAB. Their stuff is ok, they don't sell well though. The excellent Legacy GT goes unnoticed and it's one of the best mid-sized sedans out there(the wagon is pretty slick too). Its a poor-man's Audi.
i think they sell pretty well for what they are working with. Def. one of my favorite car companies. and i just dont look at a toyota buyout to be that bad. i very well could be wrong, but at the same time i just dont see it being that horrible
Old 4/19/07, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Gotta response back from Subaru. The rep guaranteed that they were not going to be bought by Toyota. He did say Toyota was interested in buying "another automotive company" however.

I wonder who it is....
Old 4/19/07, 06:50 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Even if they're gonna get bought by Toyota, do you really think they would tell you?
Old 4/19/07, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think they might have said that "there are talks but nothing definite" or something to that manner. Some way to not scare me off but not be caught as liars in the long run.

Telling a customer that it isn't going to happen and then it does is the easiest way to lose trust from your customers.

Not to say companies don't do this at all, but I would like to think I can trust them to some extent.
Old 4/20/07, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thing I worry about is with many Japanese companies when a bigger one buys the smaller one, out of respect the smaller usually assimilates into the larger company's way of doing business (I feel in 5 to 10 years Toyota will be getting more bureaucratic and getting in the habit of shafting their customers) unless they are equals, which right now Toyota is huge as we all know. Still I would be happy if this buyout did not happen, hey maybe they will buy Chrysler/Dodge?