http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/12/i...eavy-outright/
Old 4/12/07, 06:34 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the new Impreza looks like it was designed by Toyota
Old 4/12/07, 06:52 PM
Cobra R Member

well as long as a subie is stilll a subie i am for it.
Old 4/12/07, 08:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Makes sense as long as the Subarus don't become boring, mundane cars. One thing they aren't is boring. Quirky, weird looking...maybe. Boring..no.
Old 4/12/07, 08:46 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Oh no, more boring cars.
Old 4/12/07, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I still think Ford should partner up with Subaru
Old 4/12/07, 08:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 1969 Mustang Mach 1
I still think Ford should partner up with Subaru
Subaru doesn't have much cash. Ford really can't afford to do something like that right now. Could be interesting though.
Old 4/12/07, 08:51 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i rather like subaru..i would hate to see it bought by toyota.
Old 4/12/07, 09:13 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
One more reason for me to not like either!
Ugly(imo) + Boring =
Old 4/13/07, 10:45 AM
Cobra R Member

subaru has the highest return customer percentage in the world of cars, and i must say although kinda odd looking on some models, they make awesome cars
Old 4/13/07, 11:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Cheese302
well as long as a subie is stilll a subie i am for it.
Don't count on a Toyota owned Subaru seriously resembling today's Subaru for very long. There is already talk that Subaru will rebadge a Toyota B car to bring back the Justy. While Subaru could certainly use a B car what this really demonstrates is Subaru backing away from their 'boxer only' stance that helped create the break up with GM. And this is occuring while Toyota still owns a relatively small stake in Fuji Heavy Industries.

If Toyta buys the company in full the above will begin to apply to much more than just a B car or two.
Old 4/13/07, 12:49 PM
Cobra R Member

as long as the subaru AWD system and the boxer engine stay around, i dont mind.

i will be agrivated if subarus turn into camrys. which i dont see happening. i am willing to bet that outside of a few small models, all in all subaru will stay subaru. why else would toyota buy them to exploit subaru technology. since toyota is one of the only car makers in the workd right now that is ALL in the black.

time will tell, but i love current subies, i am about to take ownership of a 99 legacy gt wagon 5 speed, and i am very excited about it.
Old 4/15/07, 12:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just sent Subaru of America and email that if they do this I will purposely take my Impreza and FUBAR it around a tree. I'll take the gap insurance which will pay off everything free and clear and go elsewhere with my money. I have a "freebie" accrued on my insurance and so help me God I will use it!
Old 4/15/07, 08:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 1999 Black 35th GT
I just sent Subaru of America and email that if they do this I will purposely take my Impreza and FUBAR it around a tree. I'll take the gap insurance which will pay off everything free and clear and go elsewhere with my money. I have a "freebie" accrued on my insurance and so help me God I will use it!
but why? no reason to ruin your car.
Old 4/18/07, 06:51 AM
Cobra Member

The partnership seems to fit well together. I for one am not a fan of 4cyl engines, especially with V6's getting better on gas, so I see little need for them anymore. That being said Subaru's engines are very interesting. Unfortunetly though I do see Subaru's line up getting consistanly more boring but the engines more then likely won't change, Toyota may even use their AWD system on their FJ Cruiser and Avalon. I do feel bad for Subaru fans though as I can imagine this could bother some people.
Old 4/18/07, 08:20 AM
Cobra R Member

when you have to add two more cylinders to the air pump no matter what your going to use more fuel. 4 cylinders are great engines, and i cant imagine that if subaru stays with the boxer, that they will ever go to only 6 cylinders. besides there is no one that has reported the merger as a done deal.

now for the whole awd thing. Have you ever looked at an FJ or an avalon? neither would in any way be able to house a subaru awd system. The FJ is nothing but a tacoma underneath an SUV body. the avalon is more of a camry on steroids. Also if you think that subarus are getting boring, then clearly toyota must be invisible or something. i mean toyotas slogan is "if you want sensible and numb: buy a toyota" (except for the trucks)
Old 4/18/07, 12:50 PM
Cobra Member

Easy cheese I did not say Subarus were boring (odd is a better word). I was implying that they would become boring if Toyota bought them. Also I am not saying that the Boxer is not a very well made and interesting engine, because the power they get out of them is impressive. Also I am not to the point where I want a beater car so a 4cyl is not something I would want right now. Also as I usually change the exhaust on my cars I don't think I could tollerate a 4cyl as a daily driver, because lets face it no matter what you use, aftermarket exhaust sound horrible on a 4cyl.As far as the FJ and Avalon I did not mean to imply that they could use them in the current builds of these cars, as an AWD Subaru outback is bigger and sits way higher then an Avalon. I would think that if Toyota bought Subaru they would change the setup of their own models to take advantage of the acqisition. Of course they could be stupid and just add rebadged Scions to the Subaru line up, which I would not be surprised if they do, were this to go through
Old 4/18/07, 01:23 PM
Cobra R Member

nah i dont think they would

and trust me subie boxer motors sound AWESOME with an exhaust. Although then again so does my jetta. so does an s2000, so does a 1.8t vw. I am about to add a subie to my lineup, ditch this cavalier junker. also, i would put money on that the fj will never turn into a car based vehicle, and there is no way the buick roadmaster of import cars will move to a subaru chassis. Subaru builds a very nice tight car. cant wait to have mine.
Old 4/19/07, 05:11 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheese302
when you have to add two more cylinders to the air pump no matter what your going to use more fuel.
This is true if you are measuring fuel consumption based on equivalent engine speeds and throttle openings. Small displacment high revving engines loose out to larger lower revving engines because they typically have to work harder to accelerate and maintian speed, especially if you are using vehicles that are nearly the same weight.
Old 4/19/07, 06:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bob
This is true if you are measuring fuel consumption based on equivalent engine speeds and throttle openings. Small displacment high revving engines loose out to larger lower revving engines because they typically have to work harder to accelerate and maintian speed, especially if you are using vehicles that are nearly the same weight.
i'll have to agree to disagree. my jetta 2.0 got 30-35 mpg in normal driving, my 1985 accord se-i regularly got 38, my current 96 cavalier is getting mid 30's and they all pulled a lot of rpm to keep up there. now granted they are all doing better than a subie with the awd stuff and the wagon body but still.

another example. My sisters (soon to me mine) 99 legacy 2.5gt usually gets 25-27mpg in mixed driving, i had it for three months while my parents still owned it. where as my friends bmw 325i displaces the same amount can barely scrape 20mpg. when a car has more parts to move, more cylinders to fill. its going to use more gas. more parts, more friction, more heat morepower loss. its simple

Quick Reply: toyota buying subaru?