General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

So what did you think of Top Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/10, 04:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Much better than the first episode. The show still seemed too scripted except for the 370z part. The dog was epic though. Adam Ferrara and his mole must GO.

I think the show is watchable now so I will follow it for this season. However if there isn't one stang review this season I will have to proclaim it a fail
Agreed, far better than the first go around.

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Opposite here, I thought Rutledge was worthless and not funny. Ferrara is funny in that he's so incompetent. Couldn't even do a dang burnout!
So far I am not really finding any of them funny. Rutledge not really knowing when to be funny or how to interject lines on the fly. Ferrara is at least funny in not knowing anything about the cars or driving techniques.

Somone else needs to get on the Star in a Small Car bit so that there is at least some humor and people getting made fun of for their driving bits.
Old 11/30/10, 11:52 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I watched the one with the lambos this weekend.

what can I say other then the studio shots seems low budget. Not knocking buzz but who thought that would be a hip cool quest? All three hosts seem to be hammond. They seem far to dressed down to be driving those cars. The intro to the british version has these great high def landscapes and which this one comes up short on. How can these guy lack focus in a scene were they are only doing one thing.

It should not feel like you a youtube video. This should life styles of the rich and famous but with cars. I want to see jet setters not three forms of captian plaid.
Old 11/30/10, 06:56 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, guys, I'm just not getting into Top Gear USA. America bashing notwithstanding, Top Gear UK is far superior in every single way, IMO.
Old 11/30/10, 07:02 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Well Top Gear UK guys have been together for 15 seasons. Top Gear USA guys have been together for ... 2 episodes.

I saw each and every episode of TG UK ... they were really terrible in the beginning.
Old 11/30/10, 10:20 PM
FR500 Member

2nd ep. better, but each host needs to get better at developing a distinct persona sooner, rather than later. I'm resigned to the fact it won't be as good as TG-UK, and give it some time to stand on its own as a "junior series" to the OG.
Old 11/30/10, 11:17 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MARZ
Sorry, guys, I'm just not getting into Top Gear USA. America bashing notwithstanding, Top Gear UK is far superior in every single way, IMO.
Agreed. I've been disappointed with the car selection so far as well...
Old 11/30/10, 11:25 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
What is this Top Gear everyone talks aboot? Some kind of TV show or something? Does it have any hot broads on it?
Old 12/1/10, 09:24 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by MARZ
everyone gets it in the show. they even rib brits. its like picks on your friends at the bar. You know your buddy doesnt have relations with his sister but you still act as if its fact.

Last edited by Flagstang; 12/1/10 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12/1/10, 09:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hi5.0
2nd ep. better, but each host needs to get better at developing a distinct persona sooner, rather than later. I'm resigned to the fact it won't be as good as TG-UK, and give it some time to stand on its own as a "junior series" to the OG.
I feel all the hosts are too young for me to respect their knowledge of a vast array of cars. I mean, all I keep hearing from them is how 'cool' the cars are and 'wow'. How about we use some bigger vocabulary and make the car have more persona than 'cool' and 'wow'. I just don't respect what the hosts bring to the show. It just seems like a bunch of young guys getting their rocks off driving some high end cars they would otherwise never get a chance to drive.

-danny
Old 12/1/10, 11:14 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
What is this Top Gear everyone talks aboot? Some kind of TV show or something? Does it have any hot broads on it?
There actually are some hot chicks in the British version. They carefully place them right in the camera's view during the interview segments.

That's another little Easter egg that the U.S. spinoff version is missing...
Old 12/1/10, 11:21 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by pegasusphototx
It just seems like a bunch of young guys getting their rocks off driving some high end cars they would otherwise never get a chance to drive.

-danny
As opposed to some older 'blokes' across the pond!
Old 12/1/10, 04:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Episode 3 is the moonshiners episode, should be their best chance to show their personalities.
Old 12/1/10, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Bingo!!! It's not TGUK, and probably never will be. But, at least it's not Survivor: Antigua or Pawn Stars either...........Maybe, just maybe, some public comments will put some American muscle shine into the show. If they're gonna carry over anything from the Brit version, lets hope that when they compare cars together, we get an honest-to-goodness drag race outa these guys.
I'm looking forward to the moonshine episode.........and I loved that a blind guy did burnouts.......

Last edited by Ghost; 12/1/10 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12/2/10, 12:34 PM
Needs to be more Astony

I just watched the first2 episodes last night. I don't understand why they copy some stuff and not all of it. They don't reference the british show at all and play it off as one of its own so why not use the things that work in that show. No funny thngs about Stig? Stig is such a boring character so far. And Big star small car, why change the name of a segment when you are coping the whole show in the first place.

Also the hosts, mostly Tanner Foust needs acting lessons. Top Gear has always been a scripted show that they play off as unscripted, in this one you can clearly tell their lines are scripted. I know these guys are new at it and it might be mor natural later but still.
Old 12/2/10, 03:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
According to Jalopnik, the crew has had a couple 2011 Mustang GT's for the show during filming.
Old 12/2/10, 05:06 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

In the next episode they'll be "testing" a turbo Thunderbird from the 1980s ...
Old 12/2/10, 05:48 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
According to Jalopnik, the crew has had a couple 2011 Mustang GT's for the show during filming.
Originally Posted by Red Star
In the next episode they'll be "testing" a turbo Thunderbird from the 1980s ...
Sounds promising on both accounts!
Old 12/5/10, 08:26 PM
MOTM Committee Member

This episode is great so far! And I hate tanner foust
Old 12/5/10, 08:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This episode is great so far! And I hate tanner foust
He is one of those who just hate American Cars..... I would love to have him get beat in one of those Boss 302's he was turning his nose up at.....
Old 12/5/10, 08:55 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by jacostang
He is one of those who just hate American Cars..... I would love to have him get beat in one of those Boss 302's he was turning his nose up at.....
Exactly! I liked him at first, but in this episode he's acting like one of those people who make EVERY excuse not to like american cars.

Quick Reply: So what did you think of Top Gear?