General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Now Now for something completely different...

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/15, 12:49 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like my previous car, a 2008 Mazdaspeed3. Loved the versatility and the looks, but it became a rattletrap in winter. Known issue with the windshield cowlcontracting in the cold and you get this maddening ticking on the glass. The TSB did not fix it, had to disassemble the cowl and stuff sound deadening underneath it. Also the turbo seals leaked at long idles, leading to excessive exhaust smoke. Applied the TSB for it twice and no dice.

Just food for thought buying the suped-up version of a $15k econobox: you're paying for the extra power, but don't get the extra quality.
Old 10/28/15, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Same with my pony. No quality issues. I'm actually surprisingly impressed.

Btw, your thoughts on this... My buddy is selling me his 15 STI base for 39k with only 4K miles but these mods

Intake
Down pipe
Id1000s
Air oil sep
Sway bar and end links
Turbo back exhaust
Boost controller
Gauge pods etc
Stage 2 Cobb tune for E85 or 91
Just be warned that Subaru is worse with voiding warranties on the STI/WRX than just about anyone. You are essentially paying 39k for a new car with no powertrain warranty.
Old 10/28/15, 04:49 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by imeyers302
Just be warned that Subaru is worse with voiding warranties on the STI/WRX than just about anyone. You are essentially paying 39k for a new car with no powertrain warranty.
That's another reason why I'm hesitant of getting his/that car. Essentially he already voided all his warranty right? So I pay more for a used STI, albeit more power, but with no warranty... Versus just getting brand new, stock, enjoying it that way with full warranty. I'd just get an intake and exhaust.
Old 10/28/15, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

That's another reason why I'm hesitant of getting his/that car. Essentially he already voided all his warranty right? So I pay more for a used STI, albeit more power, but with no warranty... Versus just getting brand new, stock, enjoying it that way with full warranty. I'd just get an intake and exhaust.
Basically. Powertrain warranty is done. Just so you know for example a transmission in that car is no MT82. It's $6000 to replace. If it were me I would go new but that's just me. If not racing though you may want to consider a wrx. Would save a ton of money and the newer engine in the wrx has much less turbo lag and a better powerband for daily driving.
Old 10/28/15, 05:58 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by imeyers302
Basically. Powertrain warranty is done. Just so you know for example a transmission in that car is no MT82. It's $6000 to replace. If it were me I would go new but that's just me. If not racing though you may want to consider a wrx. Would save a ton of money and the newer engine in the wrx has much less turbo lag and a better powerband for daily driving.
Significantly less power than the STI tho right? I guess there's just something "special" about getting an STI... What are the specs on the wrx vs STI? I need to read up on those
Old 10/28/15, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Significantly less power than the STI tho right? I guess there's just something "special" about getting an STI... What are the specs on the wrx vs STI? I need to read up on those
In around town normal daily driving the wrx will be as quick or quicker. Much better torque curve, as well as less shifting with the wrx due to the shorter gearing in the STI. On the track there is no comparison. The STI is much better suited for that. Don't let the STI mystique suck you in though. Test drive both and decide. It's a big money diff between the two. The extra goodies that shine on track in the STI really don't do much on the street. Under most circumstances that is.

Last edited by imeyers302; 10/29/15 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10/29/15, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Tired of the 2013 Mustang GT (Premium, 6-spd, only option is track pak)...will be gone tomorrow and in its place...

...a new 2016 Subaru WRX 6-spd. 420hp to 270hp...should be interesting change of pace.

Good luck with it! I have an old friend that has a wrx STI dyno'd at 400bhp and a massive blow off valve to boot. fun cars for sure.
Old 12/13/15, 01:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, just cruising on thru, still like reading about Mustangs and such.

3200 miles on WRX now, a few thoughts:

1. Paint is positively, uh, 'fragile'; just look at it the wrong way and it swirls. Yep, black...but Mustang paint was much more durable, resistant (black). Our Corvette paint is somewhere in the middle (black). WRX is definately gonna need some paint correction after the winter, followed by a durable more durable sealant than Zaino; likely 9ne of the more advanced ceramics.

2. Base stereo really blows; drove a car for 250K miles w no radio so that doesn't much bother me.

3. Shifter is horrible; long throws, wide gates, tall lever. Reminds me of my Dad's 1982 Dodge Omni. $55 in aftermarket shifter stop/bushings helped tremendously.

4. Big , big flatspot in powerband at 4k-5k rpm. Overall power curve takes a bit of getting used to; very touchy and non linear throttle mapping. Tune will smooth that out somewhat but not sure I wanna go that route.

That said , no regrets. Wrx is just a hoot to toss around...look forward to it each day, something I no longer felt with mustang. Guess it was time for something completely different.

Really fun stuff...just different.

Also interesting to dip a toe into the tuner world, something I kinda looked at with some disdain previously ('ricers' and all that)...no different than V8 world, just different mods, different names...but still full of real enthusiasts who are really into their cars. And generally younger than my creaky, old self.

Oh yeah, kids must wreck these things at a bit higher rate than Mustangs as insurance was a bit more for WRX.
Old 12/13/15, 02:38 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Good luck with the STi.