Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rust bubbles found! 2013 Mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/15, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rust bubbles found! 2013 Mustang.

Was outside admiring my 2013 Mustang and saw a nasty surprise....I got rust bubbles forming on the hood near front headlights by drivers side. Took it to Yorkdale Ford, since they are close to me. They took pictures and submitted to Ford Canada for approval. Service Advisor mentioned that hood might be replaced if it's made out of aluminium. Anyways, car is still within the 3yr/60k warranty. Check yours just incase!! I've searched around and this is pretty common for Ford in general.

Probably can't see s*** but it's there!

Old 9/3/15, 06:05 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
YUCK!!

I believe that it is an issue with a thread or two devoted to it on here...

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...issues-533119/
Old 9/3/15, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail dust. If it was delivered by train that's your issue. You'll never get it all out
Old 9/4/15, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rail dust appearing underneath paint?

Anyways, it wasn't there before. Dealership said they've seen this before and had replaced the entire hood. Right now it's pending approval from Ford HQ.
Originally Posted by Dwntyme
Rail dust. If it was delivered by train that's your issue. You'll never get it all out
Old 9/4/15, 12:02 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
it's been an issue since they went to aluminum hoods in 2005. I'm 2 for 2 with my 2005 and 2012.
Old 9/4/15, 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
But why are you getting RUST bubbles on ALUMINIUM?
Old 9/4/15, 01:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
But why are you getting RUST bubbles on ALUMINIUM?
You should read the hood corrosion thread. It's from iron particles that get on the hood before painting. Apparently the hood stamping dies can get iron into the hood and it will rust under the paint.
Old 9/4/15, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
You should read the hood corrosion thread. It's from iron particles that get on the hood before painting. Apparently the hood stamping dies can get iron into the hood and it will rust under the paint.
Ferrite (Iron) and aluminum will create dissimilar metal corrosion (Galvanic) when in contact with each other. It’s possible either the shear die or form die are leaving ferrite embedded in the aluminum parts and is the cause of the corrosion. That was the argument and findings in a class action lawsuit filed against Ford several years ago for the same issues we’re still seeing today. It could be they resolved that issue and is not at all what we’re seeing today. Other possibilities are contaminants getting trapped in the seam hems and between the inner and outer panels. It could also be very poor seam sealing allowing moisture and contaminants to enter into the joint. All of the above can cause corrosion.

If this corrosion is iron contamination, technically what is being seen is not rust at all: The ferrite embedded in the finished aluminum panels is causing the aluminum to corrode. The sad part is, there are die materials and post form surface treatments for the finished parts that largely negate this type of issue.

John

Last edited by Horspla; 9/4/15 at 03:51 PM.
Old 9/4/15, 09:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't see a problem. Better pics would help.
Old 9/5/15, 01:02 AM
GT Member

Ford replaced my Hood, service advisor said it is the only solution that works.
Old 9/5/15, 06:12 PM
V6 Member

I had my whole hood repainted and they refused to warranty their work. I will be not happy if they come back and they won't fix it. I wish they just replaced the whole thing.
Old 9/5/15, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 50HHHHH
I had my whole hood repainted and they refused to warranty their work. I will be not happy if they come back and they won't fix it. I wish they just replaced the whole thing.
I had a new hood put on my 2007 and it was corroded when I traded it for a 2011. The new hoods come from the factory.
Old 9/6/15, 03:55 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I think if the shop knows what they are doing it can be fixed. My 2014 had the same thing under the hood. My dealer did a great job and no return of it. It's been over a year.
Old 9/11/15, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by VidPro
I think if the shop knows what they are doing it can be fixed. My 2014 had the same thing under the hood. My dealer did a great job and no return of it. It's been over a year.
Keep an eye on it, because it will almost certainly come back, probably after your warranty expires and then Ford can tell you to get lost when you try to get it fixed again.

The problem is, the corruption is inside the seams, and there is no way to remove it from inside those seams. There are good dealerships out there that are standing by their customers and demanding a hood replacement because of this fact. But obviously it's cheaper for Ford to just let the dealers do the temporary fix and wait for the warranty to run out, so that is what they try to do in most cases.

I'd love to hear the Ford rep here explain why Ford is replacing some hoods but not others when they are all having the same exact issue.
Old 9/11/15, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by VidPro
I'm having my hood 'fixed' at my stealership, and I was looking at some of the cars on their lot and I saw a 2012 Mustang GT that seemed cheaper than it should be, and sure enough, there was a big chunk of paint missing at the front of the hood. Only had about 10k miles on it, I wonder why the previous owner sold/traded it in...
Old 9/11/15, 10:43 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Greywolf21
Keep an eye on it, because it will almost certainly come back, probably after your warranty expires and then Ford can tell you to get lost when you try to get it fixed again.

The problem is, the corruption is inside the seams, and there is no way to remove it from inside those seams. There are good dealerships out there that are standing by their customers and demanding a hood replacement because of this fact. But obviously it's cheaper for Ford to just let the dealers do the temporary fix and wait for the warranty to run out, so that is what they try to do in most cases.

I'd love to hear the Ford rep here explain why Ford is replacing some hoods but not others when they are all having the same exact issue.
I hear ya. Believe me every time I wash it and wipe down the car I'm looking and so far so good. It comes back then I have some explaining to the wife why there's a hood being shipped to me.
Old 9/11/15, 10:45 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Greywolf21
I'm having my hood 'fixed' at my stealership, and I was looking at some of the cars on their lot and I saw a 2012 Mustang GT that seemed cheaper than it should be, and sure enough, there was a big chunk of paint missing at the front of the hood. Only had about 10k miles on it, I wonder why the previous owner sold/traded it in...
Funny, I was just driving back to work from lunch and a 2005 or so was driving towards me and the front of the hood was in bad shape.
Old 12/31/15, 07:57 AM

Have rust bubbles along the lip of my 2011's hood and trunk. Ford wouldn't fix under warranty as 3 years were up. Already had trunk "repaired" once in 2014 and problem came back within 10 months. Any advice on what to do?
Old 12/31/15, 01:05 PM

As an owner of two Mustangs I noticed my 2012 had the aluminum hood cancer when it was three and half years old which as was poignantly pointed out by the dealer service department at three years and nine months, by the time I could get it in to the dealer, is out of the standard three year warranty period. Dispite all the reports of the problem on the web I got the "Oh my, never heard of it". They also told not to believe "anything" on the Internet.

Ford may also remember me as the buyer of a early production 2015 that was destroyed by Ford at the factory, along with an undisclosed number of others, while they dragged us along playing the waiting game for eight months without telling us.

Why Ford can't make a aluminum body panel that doesn't get body cankers is beyond me. I had a 1978 GM with a aluminum hood with no such issues. It sure would be beyond comprehension why anyone would have faith to buy the new Ford all aluminum body panel pickup truck given their inability to even make a aluminum hood. One can only imagine what they'll look like in a couple years! Cankers all over.

It sure would be nice if Ford would admit the issue exists and help customers that experience this hood problem.

Old 1/1/16, 06:01 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I guess I've been lucky with my hood repair that was done at a Ford dealership. The seam repair where I had blisters still holding up.

I did notice on the fender under the hood where the fender bolts down some ugliness but that is probably sloppy work. I'm not sure if I should leave it or touch it up.

Last edited by VidPro; 1/1/16 at 06:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Rust bubbles found! 2013 Mustang.