2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

You won't believe this...

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/05, 12:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I originally demanded the X-plan from my dealer and was denied. The reason I got the x-plan pin is because the dealer was jerking me around and Ford Corporate stepped in and offered me a pin number. The dealer STILL wouldn't accept the pin so I called another dealer in front of the salesmen, drove off the lot, and within' five minutes had my order in.

From what I have read here, getting exactly the car you want, in a reasonable amount of time, at a reasonable price is the exception. A week doesn't go by without someone posting a story about getting screwed over by a dealer. If gas prices continue to increase, foreign auto makers' market share will also continue increase, and you will be begging for guys to come in with an x-plan pin.
Old 5/10/05, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by houtex@May 7, 2005, 1:23 AM
I had this guy come in my dealership, and wanted to order an 05 Mustang GT. Which was fine by me, he looked like a responsible person, and we can get anybody credit. No problem.

We got the options, color, etc, all worked out. It came time to talk about the bottom lines, when he hit me with "Oh, I have an Xplan pin, can I use it?"

Being the up front salesperson I was, I admitted to him that it was unlikely. Our allocation, while not small, was not such that the sales mangers and owner felt they could spare Xplans for the '05 Mustangs.

I started to tell him how V6s could be had for MSRP and the GTs were getting $2k over (which is less than some places, mind) when he cuts me off and says to me "Well, here's the thing. Either you get me the Xplan, or I'll go somewhere else to buy the car."

I asked him real quick if there'd be another car, say a Focus ZX, that he could use the Xplan pin on instead of the Mustang? Because that I could do, no problem. Or maybe an F150?

Nope, it was the Mustang GT or nothing, he says.

Well, at that point, I realized it was futile. We talked briefly a bit more, trying to get him to buy the car here, as that's my job. At the end, I wished him well, of course, on his search for an Xplan for the '05. And of course, I give him my card and ask him to call me when the furor dies down or if, remote as that is, he decides to buy from here with the markup.

But inside I was seething. And I had to face my manager on that. You know, you get that 3 or 4 times a week, the time spent, and it looks like I'm lollygagging. Which is not true. The NERVE of the guy to come in to this dealership, and ask for an Xplan. The car is dang near unobtainable, and he wants an Xplan. I can get Xplan on anything but that car. Greedy buyers. Always trying to bend us over on price. We gotta eat too, ya know.

Well, that's my story. Opinions?

/the preceeding is fictional, but is probably happening in real life ™.
//Are the dealers really greedy folks? Methinks the pot is calling kettle some names...
///yep, I'm officially tired of the whole greedy dealer thing. And NO, I am not a dealer or salesperson. I just work on their computers.
My opinion, you should be up front with the guy and tell him in the beginning that although the sign out front says FORD, you in fact do not honor the FORD sponsored plans on certain vehicles on youre lot, due greed, hopefully joe consumer will not forget the price gouging certain dealerships have taken upon themselves to make policy, well I hope they will be out of Business as quickly as possible, let the reputable dealers have our business now and in the future, yes there will be a tomorrow, and yes you will lose and will continue to lose potentiall return customers, I hope this is the case !!!!!