2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

You won't believe this...

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/05, 09:03 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must say, I would have done the same thing as that buyer, wait a minute, I did. The local dealer would not give me the x-plan so I ordered from a dealer that was 20 minutes away and save thousands. I'm not sure I understand why some dealers are not accepting the x-plan. A sale is a sale and if you upset 1 customer I guarantee you he is going to tell everyone he knows not to deal with your location.
Old 5/7/05, 09:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt have told him about X plan either, just as I wouldnt mention a trade in until I have a price. Soon as you say trade in the game is on. I have no issue with a dealer making money, it is hwy they are in business. But have some morals. If you want to make money do things right. Dont screw customers, tell lies, talk about things like build dates, when you have no clue and are just going to tell the customer in a few weeks you have no idea and all that BS. Service the customer, treat them with the respect you would want to be treated with when buying something that costs more than the average person makes a year. And learn to fix the F'n cars. My time going back and forth to your shop to get the same darn thing fixed over and over is valueable too. if you want to gouge me then I should be able to gouge you back for my lost time. They charge you for a 4 hour book time job that sometimes only takes an hour. BS but a fact of service life nowadays. I can deal with it just dont do a crappy job and make me have to come back. Value added is the way to make the darn money dealers not by gouging.
Old 5/7/05, 09:31 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
adrenalin:

Woulda done the same thing.

And with the internet being the way it is now, it does NOT take much for bad word to get around.
Old 5/7/05, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by houtex@May 7, 2005, 1:23 AM
I had this guy come in my dealership, and wanted to order an 05 Mustang GT. Which was fine by me, he looked like a responsible person, and we can get anybody credit. No problem.

We got the options, color, etc, all worked out. It came time to talk about the bottom lines, when he hit me with "Oh, I have an Xplan pin, can I use it?"

Being the up front salesperson I was, I admitted to him that it was unlikely. Our allocation, while not small, was not such that the sales mangers and owner felt they could spare Xplans for the '05 Mustangs.

I started to tell him how V6s could be had for MSRP and the GTs were getting $2k over (which is less than some places, mind) when he cuts me off and says to me "Well, here's the thing. Either you get me the Xplan, or I'll go somewhere else to buy the car."

I asked him real quick if there'd be another car, say a Focus ZX, that he could use the Xplan pin on instead of the Mustang? Because that I could do, no problem. Or maybe an F150?

Nope, it was the Mustang GT or nothing, he says.

Well, at that point, I realized it was futile. We talked briefly a bit more, trying to get him to buy the car here, as that's my job. At the end, I wished him well, of course, on his search for an Xplan for the '05. And of course, I give him my card and ask him to call me when the furor dies down or if, remote as that is, he decides to buy from here with the markup.

But inside I was seething. And I had to face my manager on that. You know, you get that 3 or 4 times a week, the time spent, and it looks like I'm lollygagging. Which is not true. The NERVE of the guy to come in to this dealership, and ask for an Xplan. The car is dang near unobtainable, and he wants an Xplan. I can get Xplan on anything but that car. Greedy buyers. Always trying to bend us over on price. We gotta eat too, ya know.

Well, that's my story. Opinions?

/the preceeding is fictional, but is probably happening in real life ™.
//Are the dealers really greedy folks? Methinks the pot is calling kettle some names...
///yep, I'm officially tired of the whole greedy dealer thing. And NO, I am not a dealer or salesperson. I just work on their computers.

I got my GT on x-plan. So I guess I am greedy too. You want to talk about greedy, If it wasn`t for my salseman, the salesmanager tried to sell my car out from under me because someone saw the car being unloaded off the truck and offered him 5K over sticker for my car whick I ordered, signed the deal and put a deposite on. I got the last laugh though, I decided not to finance through the dealership and went to my credit union for the loan. Greedy my a**
Old 5/7/05, 10:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Was there a moral to this story other than never read a thread you start?
Old 5/7/05, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think what he was trying to convey is that a dealer is no different than a buyer in that neither wants to lose money on a deal. I think we all understand that but it is the way the dealer goes about things..not all dealers but some...that pisses people off. If that isnt the moral then I have no clue what it is.
Old 5/7/05, 10:27 AM
2&2
GT Member

You are wrong about him being a greedy buyer. He was just laying it on the line for you, if you want to compete.That is up to you,the dealer. Now he does not know if he can find a dealer to go for it,but he is going to try. IT IS JUST A CAR. There will be more Mustangs to come out. This '05 model is not even anything special. You have to use you imagination to try to come up with a reason why this years ordinary Mustang will become highly prized down the road. I feel that paying MSRP and not trying to deal down, is a mistake. Even though X-plan my be too low and out of the question, he is going to have to find that out for himself. Chill out. If he came off cocky, he more that likely is not a true Mustang nut, and he will not buy one anyways.
Old 5/7/05, 10:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the local dealers practically laughed when I mentioned X plan on a GT. One did not and he has my order.

What is wrong with trying to get the most bang for the buck? Why pay more than you have to? This isn't $50, this is a good chunk of money to be saved.
Old 5/7/05, 10:33 AM

Mike, I would have to say that you may have cost your dealership 1 good customer and possibly 10-15 more depending on who that individual talks too. I purchased my 05 GT premium at dealer invoice with a military discount. It happened to be the only GT that my dealership has had all year. But his philosophy is good prices and move volume. He believes the more vehicles he moves at a "fair" price that he will make out quarterly with manufacturer kickbacks. So I would say that selling a vehicle on a plan is a consumer and sellers fair right. I do have a history in sales and would say that not honoring a customer's x-plan option is only going to produce bad advertising for your dealership. The best advertising is word of mouth with a dealership that the customer can trust. I have already sent my salesman 8 customers in the last 45 days and he has sold all 8 of them cars. Three which happen to be 05 Mustangs. Now that's quality 5 star service!!!!
Old 5/7/05, 10:35 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We as humans are greedy in general.

When you're getting a profit (albiet small) its still a profit, to want more (and be greedy) is human nature.
A car is only as valueable as the money put forth.
If you have a 500,000 car, is it really worth 500,000 if no one will buy it?
Money is just a number really....value and worth are in the mind of the buyer/seller....one may be higher, one may be lower

I feel this car is only worth 10 dollars...but the dealer may not agree
Old 5/7/05, 12:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally posted by Webba@May 7, 2005, 10:12 AM
I think what he was trying to convey is that a dealer is no different than a buyer in that neither wants to lose money on a deal. I think we all understand that but it is the way the dealer goes about things..not all dealers but some...that pisses people off. If that isnt the moral then I have no clue what it is.
Ding ding ding!!! You win! I don't have anything for ya though, sorry.

BTW, if some of you actually read my post all the way through, you'd see I am NOT a dealer. Funny how I now have a dealership and I lost a bunch of customers.

It was an experiment, to see if I could make people think about the other side of the issue. Do you feel used?

It was written somewhat in jest, to be honest, but I see that many are ready to villify someone for stating (or actually experiencing, if this were to be a real dealership post) the opposite side than not, it would appear. The big bad dealerships, as it were.

Ah, the interesting flow of a forum post. Funtimes. Amazing response, if you ask me, for only 1/2 a day's cookin' in here.

I will shut up about it now. Thank you for your participation!

Edit: Dang. One 'L' in 'vilify.' Ok, it's fixed.
Old 5/7/05, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

What the buyer did in houtex's story is EXACTLY what every customer SHOULD be doing when hunting for an '05 Mustang. Absolutely REFUSE to pay any markups. If you have X-Paln, DO NOT SETTLE. If no one is willing to pay markups or MSRP, the dealerships will have no choice but to accomodate the general public.

The buyer who walked out of that dealership is a great example for all of us! Do NOT give in to markups! Shop around! Houtex is pissed off because he KNOWS that buyers who shop around can get a car for less money! THEY HATE THAT!

Keep the faith, guys! Don't pay markups! Demand a deal! WE are in control of what we pay for a product, and dealerships HATE that fact! Remember that!
Old 5/7/05, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

It is the dealers right to ask what ever they what for a vehicle. However, it is the buyers right to go somewhere else when they feel they are not treated fairly. (Which includes going to other brands.) Marking up vehicles and not honoring plan prices hurts in the long run. Even the people who buy over invoice will think twice about going back for their next vehicle.

I was turned down for an A-Plan once at a Ford dealer. My family and I have NEVER been back to that dealer. Together we have bought at least 8 new vehicles sense that time. It's been 9 years and every time I go by that dealer, I'm still a little bitter. :angry:

With that type of dealer experience, I wonder why Toyota is number 2 now.
Old 5/7/05, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

ROTFLMAO..people it was a ficticious story and he isnt a dealer as he said in his story and just said again in another post. It was a reflection story to get us to think of the other side. Deep down I dont think anyone truly hates car dealers. They are a neccassary fact of our lifestyle. We just hate liars, cheats, and snakes. There are some of those in every profession. it is funny how when you read something though you sometimes read only what you want to and dont even pay attention to the rest.
Old 5/7/05, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Deep down I dont think anyone truly hates car dealers. They are a neccassary fact of our lifestyle. We just hate liars, cheats, and snakes.
Well said.
Old 5/7/05, 01:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

If this story were true, you would not lose only the x plan buyer, but also his recommendation. Though you may make a few extra dollars selling over MSRP, when the customer who pays the premium hears that there were dealerships who sold at MSRP or less, do you think he will be back in a few years to you when he needs another car? Maybe not, do you think he will recommend you to his friends and family? You have to think about the long term.
Old 5/7/05, 01:28 PM
V6 Member

I shopped for a V6 Mustang today. We worked it out last night, and finally decided to go ahead and purchase a V6.

So I spent several hours on forddirect.com last night to come up with a game plan for today. I found a few dealers with the car I want (Sonic Blue). I am eligible for X-Plan, so that was my #1 concern. I called the dealerships this morning, asked if they had the car in stock, and if yes, would they accept X-Plan. 1 dealership out of 7 said yes, but only on V6s (which works for me in this case). The only dealer that actually has the car I want is several hours away, and they do not accept X-Plan. I told the Manager what I wanted, and how I was willing to drive out there, and they decided to give me X-Plan. I was upfront, and did not waste their time or my time by telling them about X-Plan at the last second.

As mentioned in a previous post, both the buyer and dealer want the best deal. It is natural that both sides will push for a favorable outcome. Generally, dealers have an advantage, especially when a car is popular, or when you have specifics wants.

In any case, once my X-Plan pin is generated (hopefully this afternoon), I will be on my way to go buy the car. We'll see if they honor their X-Plan. I'm holding my breath. This will either be a GREAT dealership that works with people, or a HORRIBLE dealership that goes back on their word. It's their choice!

joe
Old 5/7/05, 01:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Very childish thread pretending your something your not,just to get a reaction from fellow members! Go ahead and cry wolf,but i for one will remember this thread and pass on reading any of your future ones!!! ding ding ding*
Old 5/7/05, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by houtex+May 7, 2005, 2:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(houtex @ May 7, 2005, 2:18 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Webba@May 7, 2005, 10:12 AM
Ding ding ding!!! You win! I don't have anything for ya though, sorry.

BTW, if some of you actually read my post all the way through, you'd see I am NOT a dealer. Funny how I now have a dealership and I lost a bunch of customers.

It was an experiment, to see if I could make people think about the other side of the issue. Do you feel used?

It was written somewhat in jest, to be honest, but I see that many are ready to villify someone for stating (or actually experiencing, if this were to be a real dealership post) the opposite side than not, it would appear. The big bad dealerships, as it were.

Ah, the interesting flow of a forum post. Funtimes. Amazing response, if you ask me, for only 1/2 a day's cookin' in here.

I will shut up about it now. Thank you for your participation!

Edit: Dang. One 'L' in 'vilify.' Ok, it's fixed.
[/b][/quote]

I think your full of crap. What has really happened is that you did not hear what you wished to and you are now changing your story. Nice try though.
Old 5/7/05, 02:58 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Around my area they were starting to put on 8-10k mark ups..
by shopping around I Finally found a decent dealership willing to sell the car for what its worth, 1500 over invoice. Shopping around is a good idea.

Unfortunately for the local dealership - I have done nothing but give then really bad press which I know for a fact has cost them customers. So they have lost far more than the extra cash they would have gotten by squeezing me for a few thousand If I had bought their overpriced GTs, If they had given me a decent deal - I would have told everyone how great a place to they were to buy a car.

Quick Reply: You won't believe this...