2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Who has an issue with the throttle response?

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/05, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Badandy@January 9, 2005, 12:34 PM
Stubbies- You let your manual coast into a stoplight? You don't downshift while you are slowing down using the breaks?

Just for reference, you DO NOT want to do that. You should always have your transmission engaged until you are going slow and you have to put it into neutral. Engine breaking really puts a negligable amount of wear on the tranny and clutch, but more damage will be done to your breaks than your tanny and clutch. It helps your brakes immensly.
As he said, it's easier (and cheaper) to replace brakes than it is to replace a clutch.

While you can give an argument for downshifting for safety reasons (if you need to make a sudden acceleration to avoid an accident, etc.), talking about wear on the mechanicals, it's better to not downshift.
Old 1/9/05, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Badandy@January 9, 2005, 10:34 AM
Stubbies- You let your manual coast into a stoplight? You don't downshift while you are slowing down using the breaks?

Just for reference, you DO NOT want to do that. You should always have your transmission engaged until you are going slow and you have to put it into neutral. Engine breaking really puts a negligable amount of wear on the tranny and clutch, but more damage will be done to your breaks than your tanny and clutch. It helps your brakes immensly.
It is extremely rare for me to downshift when coming up to a red light. Only if it was a surprise and I needed all the help I could get to slow the car down. For day to day driving I take it out of gear and coast up to lights.

IMO, the brakes on this car are plenty fine for stopping it, no need to waste gas and induce more wear by downshift/engine braking.

This one will be a to each his own kind of thing.

Just for curiousity sake tho, why are you adamant about engine braking? True it will help on slowing the car, but to me, it just wastes gas. The brakes are built to stop the car, and do a great job at it. Me personally, I'd just as soon change out brake parts on a higher interval and not worry about it.
Old 1/9/05, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For every day driving it is fine, but as I have already said, for racing it is not good. I don't want the brakes to fight the engine as well as trying to stop the car very quickly.
Old 1/9/05, 07:39 PM

i dont think not pushing in the clutch while braking wastes gas. whem your foot is off the gas the engine gets enough gas to let the engine idle. if it lets gas into the engine you will burn the gas and make some power. this would waste brakes and gas. true brakes are cheaper than clutches but, if you learn to properly match revs when down shifting you arnt slipping the clutch when you reengage it.
Old 1/9/05, 07:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

All 5.0's had that idle problem, and i had it fixed by getting a spacer for the AIC controller which was a recall bulletin from Ford.....Still not perfect, but much better since i can adjust the amount of air that gets in the AIC with screws located on the side of the spacer...
Old 1/9/05, 08:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I had to vote for "I hadn't noticed." Mostly because I don't have one.

/I'm funny. Someone should send me checks.
Old 1/9/05, 08:48 PM
FR500 Member

Wow! I guess to each his own, but in my many stick based vehicles spanning almost 2 decades I've NEVER had to replace a clutch and I ALWAYS downshift.
On those vehicles, I don't recall doing any brakes before 50k miles either.

Sorry I don't buy the saving the clutch argument, they're manual transmissions, and downshifting them to provide engine braking is normal operation.