2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Who has an issue with the throttle response?

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/05, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sent an email to MM&FF magazine asking for an answer to my issues with the throttle response on my 05. The issue is the engine not fully throttling back when you let off the gas after WOT. I got a reply stating that they think I should take it to the dealer because they have not encountered this.

Question, anyone else have this problem? :scratch:
Old 1/6/05, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has been some discussion on this, and the concensus is it is a "Normal" built in lag for Emmission reasons. It's possible a reflash or tune can be done to change the throttle position, but its not likely to come from FOMOCO.
Old 1/6/05, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have experience this delayed throttle response with my automatic 05 GT.

I'm not sure if this is the same issue though.

I'll be getting an SCT Tune real sone so I hope I can get rid of it.
Old 1/6/05, 08:10 PM
GT Member

Oh the irony...My 05 does this also-at any throttle position! It just hangs for a few seconds, dropping the rpms very slowly. What's ironic is: My 85 Porsche Carrera would drop the rpms so fast off throttle, it drove me crazy! I even adjusted the idle manually to about 1200 rpms when I knew I was going to be driving the **** out of it so I wouldn't be "catching up" after a shift. I guess its be carefull what you wish for. I do know that this is considered "normal" for elctronic throttles and it doesn't bother me at all. It makes downshifts into full throttle easier for me and , it seems, the car. Different, but once used to it, good!
Old 1/6/05, 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

The problem I have is what it will be like at an autocross event. When you got from WOT straight to hard braking for a corner, the engine is still putting out a bit of power when you want to try and slow down hard.

Easier downtshifting, yes, but I prefer heel-toeing it. (manually)
Old 1/6/05, 09:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've definitely noticed it, it's blatantly there but, it isn't troublesome for standard use. I can understand where you're running into an issue cause it sounds like you might be looking for a little engine braking. You'll need to change throttle calibration to get it for sure. Perhaps the flash will set you up.
Old 1/8/05, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

ttt
Old 1/8/05, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

A little off topic, but the 04 F150s did it as well.
Old 1/8/05, 06:27 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have that but mine is an auto. I hate it.

Service said don't let off your foot while accelerating, that makes it quit.....

Then again he also told me my car had a six speed transmission....
Old 1/8/05, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I just don't know any better. My last car was a 98 VW Golf auto. I have no idea how to heel toe, how fast throttle can come down, or anything else.

Interesting read so far tho...
Old 1/8/05, 07:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cop on my back@January 6, 2005, 10:20 PM
The problem I have is what it will be like at an autocross event. When you got from WOT straight to hard braking for a corner, the engine is still putting out a bit of power when you want to try and slow down hard.

Easier downtshifting, yes, but I prefer heel-toeing it. (manually)
Wouldnt that mean that you are actually letting the car coast at some point around a track? I NEVER let a manual coast unless I am coming to a stop at about 5mph or lower before pushing in the clutch. My SVTF hangs a bit and helps downshifting for and auto throttle tip-in effect, making downshifting two gears at a time MUCH easier and faster. It makes the 5th to 2nd downshift incredibly quick. The effect is completely null unless the clutch is in, it doesnt carry throttle while in gear. Three laps at an autocross ususally equates to well under 4 sec total time with the clutch disengaged for all shifting. I used to heel-toe, but I never made one iota of time up doing it, I am always much faster without doing it. 800+hp in a 1800lb car, and maybe then I can see the advantage.
Old 1/8/05, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

In autocross (at least the way I drive and was taught in driver training) you rarely, if ever, coast. Generally you go from wide open throttle to hard braking at the last second to make a corner. Depending on track layout, there may be an opourtunity to do some trail braking, but that is still not really coasting. Some of our track layouts require many gear changes as well. We get up to about 90 mph from time to time.

As you are decelerating you down shift through the gears so that the engine will help slow the car as well as the brakes. This is also helpfull so that when you get back on the gas coming out of the corner you are already in the correct gear and the clutch is dissengaged, so there is no wasting time. The competition is very close so every tenth of a second counts.

With the throttle behavior on the 05 that is really not as effective, at least from what I have felt from driving so far, because the engine will not help slow the car when down shifting and hard braking, it still wants to propell it slightly.

As another member stated, with normall driving, even aggressive driving the 05 is great, but autocross is right on the edge of loosing control. The car, tires and brakes are being pushed very hard. Makes for a great adrenalin rush!! So I am hoping that a retune can get rid of this problem.
Old 1/8/05, 10:54 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I read a similar situation on the mach1registry website. Apparenlty the idle air controller lets a lot of air in for emissions reasons. A member had a cheap & simple mod that blocked off one of the ports on the IAC which allowed the revs to drop much quicker.
Old 1/9/05, 07:53 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Looks like you guys got a bunch of lemons.
Old 1/9/05, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Perhaps this would be an issue for me if I were to actually use my '05 for autocross, or even do engine braking like that. I look at it this way. For the vast majority of my driving, the brakes will do more than sufficient to stop my car. Why would I want to include engine braking, and put more wear/tear on my engine/clutch plate? I'd just as soon use brakes only. They are much easier to swap out.

As it is, I have noticed this lag as well, but for standard driving (read: just brakes) its not bothersome at all.
Old 1/9/05, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

The added wear is just the way it goes when you reace a car. If you want to go fast, you are going to wear out parts quicker, just the nature of the beast
Old 1/9/05, 10:31 AM
Cobra Member

Stubbies- You let your manual coast into a stoplight? You don't downshift while you are slowing down using the breaks?

Just for reference, you DO NOT want to do that. You should always have your transmission engaged until you are going slow and you have to put it into neutral. Engine breaking really puts a negligable amount of wear on the tranny and clutch, but more damage will be done to your breaks than your tanny and clutch. It helps your brakes immensly.
Old 1/9/05, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

You're correct there!
Old 1/9/05, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

My 02 has been like that, since day 1. If you push in the clutch, it takes 3-5 seconds before the revs drop down to the normal speed. When I test drove the 05, I noticed it too, but I thought it was better than the 02.

Does anyone else here have the last generation that they can compare to the 05?
Old 1/9/05, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RottenRonny@January 9, 2005, 6:13 PM
My 02 has been like that, since day 1. If you push in the clutch, it takes 3-5 seconds before the revs drop down to the normal speed. When I test drove the 05, I noticed it too, but I thought it was better than the 02.

Does anyone else here have the last generation that they can compare to the 05?
Yes my Bullitt has some throttle lag....The 05 is clearly more pronounced however.

Quick Reply: Who has an issue with the throttle response?