2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Who has had their tint scratched by opening and

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/05, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Adrenal@April 3, 2005, 5:23 PM
It looks like some tint shops put the felt on the inside chanell and some don't. I made sure they put the felt on mine last Thursday. I haven't lowered them yet, but will post a reply in the next few days.
Just a follow up report. It's been over a week now and there are NO scratches. Seems the added felt has resolved this problem.
Old 4/11/05, 11:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have a lot of scratches on both driver and passenger windows. My tint guy is willing to re-tint for free but knows nothing about the felt. I need to find out where to buy the felt prior to having my tint redone. So, can someone please provide
info on where to order the felt?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4/11/05, 02:24 PM
V6 Member

the place where I had mine tinted (tint devil in San Diego) added a felt strip to the seal. they recommended it, so far no issues. Of course that recommendation came at a price 150 dollars... yuk. I figured if you want it done right... write the chk and accept it.

apparently the new mustang isn't the only car with this issue, the sales guy rattle off other high end cars too.
Old 4/11/05, 05:59 PM

Ditto. Had mine tinted in January and noticed a scratch on the passenger window about two weeks ago. :bang: I'm open to options, so maybe the felt theory is the way to go. :scratch:
Old 4/11/05, 06:21 PM
V6 Member

Here is a pic of the felt strip I put on you can hardly tell its not factory installed
Old 4/12/05, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Mark - where did you purchase the felt lined strip. Did you have to cut it or was it an exact fit? :scratch:
Old 4/12/05, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

I got it from a tint shop in Edmonton, The strip was $4.oo in total for a 1"x8' strip. I did cut it to 3/4" and a angle cut at the mirror side then length of the rubber
Old 4/12/05, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry it took soooo long to respond. I haven't been keeping up with all the threads I have been posting in.

Anyways, as for the felt. I talked to the guy that did my tinting. He told me the felt that he uses, he buys in surplus and cuts each peice to fit. This is probably why I paid $220 for the tint job. Anyways, I have had my windows tinted now for 3+ months and no scratches/problems.

Nick
Old 4/13/05, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

My tint guy charged me $30 extra for the felt. Well worth it if it eliminates the scratches.
Old 4/13/05, 09:24 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had my windows tinted for a couple of weeks and had my fingers crossed the whole time. Didn't work. Now I have scratched tint and cramped fingers.
I warned the tint guy before he did the job. He said if it gets scratched, he'd replce it. Time to make an appointment.
Old 4/15/05, 03:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by RDSox04@March 18, 2005, 10:34 AM
Hey gang, So my new tint is scratched all to heck. According to the guy that put it on, the seals in these new cars don't have felt in the seal. When debris gets in the rubber seal it acts like sandpaper. Anyone have a solution to this? Luckily my installer agreed to do the windows again but I obviously need a solution first.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Hi RDSox04.
Got the same problem with mine. Took it back to the guy who did the job and as it turns out, there are non inner felts in the seal. Look it up. There's one outer but no inner. So anyway the guy will do the job over but he will first put inner felts so it doesn't happen again.

Perhaps you should ask your installer to put these in first.
Good luck anyway.

John.
Old 4/18/05, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I found the moleskin channel liner that is recommended to fix the scratching problems. You can see it at this link:
http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPag...7.html?Origin=
Unfortunately it only comes in 100 ft rolls, I'm bought 1 roll and cut it into 10 ft pieces. I am having mine installed tomorrow, I have a couple 10 ft pieces left, I will sell 1 10 ft piece for $10 shipped to anyone who needs it. PM me if you're interested.
Old 4/20/05, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys who claim all the cars have felt guides might want to use your small finger and go just a bit deeper. The upper part IS a felt wiper who's job is to keep dust and dirt out of the window guide. The window guide is made of a hard plastic. Even without any grit on the guid, it can easily scratch tints. It happened to my car the very first time the windows went down!

The part that pissed me off about that was I talked to the tinter before he installed it. He said he uses the adhesive felt to prevent scratches on hard guides. Take a wild guess what he DIDN'T install? Yup. The felt.

After the job was done, he told me that he didn't install the felt because it already has felt guides. I KNEW I should have taken him back out to the car and shown him the problem in person.

Oh well. The tint has a life time warrenty against scratching, so I will have him replace it as soon as I have some free time. And he BETTER put that felt on this time! Unless he likes replacing tint every other week...
Old 4/20/05, 06:18 PM
V6 Member

Those that are having this problem with dealer installed tint, need to report it to the dealer so FORD will do something about it.
Old 4/20/05, 09:26 PM
V6 Member

Does "dealer installed tint" mean they took it to a tint shop or the dealer did it? The only way I can see Ford doing anything about this is if it scratched the window it self. Tinting the front side windows is not a factory option. Wish it was but I know here in Canada you can only legally do it in 2 provinces.
Old 4/21/05, 07:08 AM
V6 Member

I paid the dealer to install the tint. I know they didnt do it and dont really care but there IS a problem with the channel seal and it is scratching the window tint as we all are aware of here. I took mine back to the dealer and they said if there is a problem, FORD will honor it under warranty. After review of the car, FORD said they didnt have enough data to confirm there was a problem but if more cars showed up with this issue then they would address it later with a TSB. They replaced my tint at no charge but I am not rolling down my windows at all if I can help it until I know this problem can be solved. I have ordered some moleskin and will install it myself soon, but my point is FORD said they WILL do something about it if enough of the problems show up so REPORT it if it was dealer installed otherwise FORD will never address it.
Old 4/21/05, 08:15 AM
V6 Member

I know there is a problem did your Ford dealer say it will scratch the "factory Glass" because as many know Ford is not the only one using this type of rubber seal...that’s the why tint shops have the mo hair on stock and I work for Ford and have talked to people involved with warranty and the only way this would be covered is if it scratches the factory glass not tint but if enough people complain you never know but If I was thinking of putting tint on my front side glass spend the $4 and put a mo hair strip on!
Old 4/21/05, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Ford replaced my window and tint after the glass was scratched (on the outside). Now the tint is scratched and I'm not about to take it back to Ford. I installed the moleskin channel liner and haven't had a problem since.
Old 4/24/05, 12:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

im trying to gather informatino to take to my dealer to have them pay to have the windows retinted as they have both been scratched by the opening and closing of the windows. if youve got that problem or had it resolved please sound off here. thanks in advance
Old 4/24/05, 03:03 PM
V6 Member

I've got a couple of scratchs on mine. :notnice:

The problem (as I see it) is caused by the interior window seal strip which is a reinforced rubber strip with a textured surface that the window slides across when raising or lowering it. Dirt (or some other type of hard particle) gets stuck in the textured spaces and scratches the softer tinting material. Having the tinting replaced before you correct the problem will just guarantee that your new tint will get scratched soon after it gets installed, unless you never roll your windows down. I inspect the interior seal every few days to keep it as clean as possible, but even that wasn't good enough to keep mine from coming up with a few scratches over the past 3 months. :notnice:

I've heard of some people getting felt installed over the inner seal strip, but I don't know any more about it than that.

Anybody out there got a fix for this problem?

Kind of hope that Ford hears about this problem and changes the interior seal...

Quick Reply: Who has had their tint scratched by opening and