2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Who has had their tint scratched by opening and

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/05, 09:31 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey gang, So my new tint is scratched all to heck. According to the guy that put it on, the seals in these new cars don't have felt in the seal. When debris gets in the rubber seal it acts like sandpaper. Anyone have a solution to this? Luckily my installer agreed to do the windows again but I obviously need a solution first.

Thanks in advance!

Adam
Old 3/18/05, 10:15 AM
V6 Member

I and a few others on this forum had the same issue,
soon as I rolled the window down it scratched the tint.
(happened on driver and passenger windows)
The tint also had tons of tint bubbles on it, they said the bubbles would go away but they never did, Plus I could see tiny little fibers was what was causing the tiny bubbles. So between the scratches and the bubbles
I wassent a happy camper. :bang:

I had them (the dealer) re dew the whole tint job. The dealer decided to use someone else and the tint job came out perfect (no bubbles)
I am still nervous about rolling the windows down but I have,and I haven't seen any scratches so far.
I am thinking it might of been the quality of the film they are using that kept
the tint from scratching
So maybe its that it don't have felt in the seal,but also may also have to do with the tint film also just a thought.

The film they used was called Solar Gard.
Good luck
Jason...
Old 3/18/05, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I had my window's tinted the guy took that rubber seal out and replaced it with a felt one. On the inside of the window that is. I have had no problems what so ever with scratches.

Nick
Old 3/18/05, 10:22 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had my tint for at least a month and a half - no problems whatsoever....

Had soem bubbles low in the back window after the guy finished - said they would go away - was nervous as heck about that - but day and a half later, they were gone....
Old 3/18/05, 10:26 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Hey nicksolheim, could you contact your installer and find out where he got the new seals. This is the route I need to go I guess.
Old 3/18/05, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine scratched and Ford paid to replace it. If you call your local BMW dealer, and ask them who installs their tint. BMWs have had this hard seal for a while.
Old 3/18/05, 10:41 PM
FR500 Member

As far as I know, the guy that tinted mine didn't quite bring the tint all the way to the top of the windows so when they roll up all the way and the windows go up into the seal about an eighth of inch or whatever it is, the tint doesn't touch the seal... it stops right at it. This might be a solution.
Old 3/19/05, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I have had the same problem. I got my windows tinted a week ago - professional quality tint film. BAM!!! Scratches on each side because of the seals. I'm going to go back this week and ask for a replacement.

Nick please let us know where you got the felt replacements. Thanks

Jay :scratch:
Old 3/19/05, 10:38 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
gonna move this to the proper section guys
Old 3/20/05, 05:32 AM
Cobra Member

Mine is all scratched up as well on both sides, especially around the front of the window by where the mirrors are. My wife noticed them first. What a drag. I guess I will be going to the tint shop that Ford used, I am going to ask them if they will go a little darker and do they have any advice for me as to stop the scratching.
Old 3/20/05, 08:20 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine are scratched in the same spot kevin. 2 lines on each window right near where the mirror is. Dirt got inside the trim and caused it, drat. OH well, life goes on.
Old 3/22/05, 08:04 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Ok, guys, this is not toooooo hard to figure out. Roll down your window. Stick your finger inside and feel the rubber, or should I say "FELT". Whoever says the car does not have felt has no idea what they are talking about.
Old 3/22/05, 08:06 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by nicksolheim@March 18, 2005, 11:22 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I had my window's tinted the guy took that rubber seal out and replaced it with a felt one. On the inside of the window that is. I have had no problems what so ever with scratches.

Nick
That's funny, my car and all the others at the dealership have felt on the inside of the rubber seals. Are you sure the guy didn't rip you off, besides, how do you think he replaced it since you can't use anything other than what was made for this panel.
Old 3/30/05, 03:51 PM
V6 Member

The inside seal is NOT felt it is some other harder substance. Mine is being reviewed by a FORD rep in the morning to determine if they will pay to replace the tint and fix the problem under warranty.

I will report back........
Old 3/30/05, 05:08 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I'd be surprised FORD is going to pay to replace the tint and if that is not felt what is it because it is hard rubber with a felt coating.
Old 3/30/05, 07:48 PM
V6 Member

I dont know what it is do you? All I know is its different than what has historically been used there. Dont guess it matters WHAT it is, it just doesnt work with tinted windows.
Old 4/1/05, 02:00 PM
V6 Member

FORD inspected the window tint and said its currently NOT a warranty issue due to the fact they have not had many reports of this. I still dont know what caused it but the dealer replaced the tint at no charge to me. I offered to pay to replace the seals if they thought that was the problem but I was told that no other seals are available yet. He specifically told me that if they see more of this problem, FORD will issue a TSB and come up with a seal alternative. So if we dont report it, it dont get fixed. Sounds like several people in here have experienced this problem in the very same area so I am curious how this will pan out over time. Thanks for all the input here ya'll.
Old 4/2/05, 09:51 AM
Banned

Mine has felt, and windows are fine. Got them tinted 5% on the back and 20% sides, they are fine........
Old 4/3/05, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

It looks like some tint shops put the felt on the inside chanell and some don't. I made sure they put the felt on mine last Thursday. I haven't lowered them yet, but will post a reply in the next few days.
Old 4/8/05, 04:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just noticed today that I too have scratches in my tint on the passenger side. Poop! they are minor... oh well for now.

I just went and checked my seals. I have felt on mine....except it is on the OUTSIDE seal, the inside is just rubber.

Quick Reply: Who has had their tint scratched by opening and