2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Weird turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/08, 08:04 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird turn signal issue

So yesterday I noticed that my right turn signal blinks fast when on compared to the left one which works right and blinks fine. Anyone ever have something weird like this happen? I figured if it keeps up I'll try disconnecting the negative lead on the battery to reset the computer. Otherwise if that doesn't work I may have to take apart the right brakelight cover and do some inspecting of the wiring harness.
Old 6/11/08, 09:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Check your lights , it may mean you have a bulb out ...
Old 6/11/08, 09:46 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out today.
Old 6/11/08, 09:50 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by Rudiepoo1
So yesterday I noticed that my right turn signal blinks fast when on compared to the left one which works right and blinks fine. Anyone ever have something weird like this happen? I figured if it keeps up I'll try disconnecting the negative lead on the battery to reset the computer. Otherwise if that doesn't work I may have to take apart the right brakelight cover and do some inspecting of the wiring harness.
Burnt out bulb
Old 6/11/08, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yep, bulb's going, or gone. There's no dashboard indicator for a light fault. Instead you get a rapid signal blink.
Old 6/11/08, 08:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it usually means the bulb is out, however if you check the bulbs and they are OK then you most likely have a smart junction box issue and that will need to be diagnosed and repaired by the dealer. If the bulbs are OK then i would check my passenger side floorboard area for moisture if it is damp then you may have the infamous water leak
Old 6/12/08, 05:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

The back ones are a ***** to get to. Gotta take all these covers off and stuff. Haven't done the front yet.
Old 6/12/08, 10:01 AM
GT Member

Yep.....one of the bulbs is burnt out in the back so I'll be inquiring about a replacement at the stealership
Old 6/13/08, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rudiepoo1
Yep.....one of the bulbs is burnt out in the back so I'll be inquiring about a replacement at the stealership
Depending on what part of the dual filament bulb is burnt out (and if you don't have sequentials), you could fix it for free with only your time and a wrench.

If the only the filament that lights during braking and turn signal use is out (major filament), then you can swap that bulb with the inboard bulb in the same tail light. Ford used the same dual filament bulb in all three spots, even though the inboard bulb only uses the "minor" filament to light with the parking lights.
Old 6/13/08, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

If it's under warranty, take it in, have them sweat over it, give you a brand new bulb, and enjoy.
Old 6/13/08, 11:23 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Arrow
If it's under warranty, take it in, have them sweat over it, give you a brand new bulb, and enjoy.
Yeah....that would be the easiest and wouldn't you know it that I'm about 100 or so miles over the warranty expiration
Old 6/13/08, 11:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mot250
Depending on what part of the dual filament bulb is burnt out (and if you don't have sequentials), you could fix it for free with only your time and a wrench.

If the only the filament that lights during braking and turn signal use is out (major filament), then you can swap that bulb with the inboard bulb in the same tail light. Ford used the same dual filament bulb in all three spots, even though the inboard bulb only uses the "minor" filament to light with the parking lights.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check and see if it lights when braking then.
Old 6/13/08, 02:24 PM
Cobra Member

Warranty or not I would not take my car in for that and risk then scratching the plastic trim in the truck or the paint..
Old 6/13/08, 03:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Warranty or not I would not take my car in for that and risk then scratching the plastic trim in the truck or the paint..
+1. I always find some defect somewhere on the car after the dealer touches it, and I can never remember seeing it before.
Old 6/13/08, 03:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't think bulbs are covered under warranty, are they? But if the bulbs are all lighting up correctly (except for the sequencing speed), then yes, Smart Junction Box issues should be covered under warrantee.
Old 6/14/08, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
...I would not take my car in for that and risk then scratching the plastic trim in the truck or the paint..
I don't get why people have such a big problem with this.

You take it in, and if they scratch it, you smash their head down on the counter and say FIX IT YOU DUMB@SS.

Honestly, though...they scratch, they fix. It's not hard. Especially if you have a reputation at the dealership for not taking bullshyt like that.
Old 6/14/08, 10:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You take it in, and if they scratch it, you smash their head down on the counter and say FIX IT YOU DUMB@SS.

Honestly, though...they scratch, they fix. It's not hard. Especially if you have a reputation at the dealership for not taking bullshyt like that.
I have worked at dealerships.
I have never seen fixed look better than not damaged.
It is very hard to get things to look like original to the trained eye.
Old 6/14/08, 10:44 PM
Cobra Member

Why have to deal with all that possible problmes when all you need to do is change a freakin light bulb. That is just asinine in my opinion.

Originally Posted by karman
I have worked at dealerships.
I have never seen fixed look better than not damaged.
It is very hard to get things to look like original to the trained eye.
Exactly

Last edited by 06GT4RAD; 6/14/08 at 10:46 PM.
Old 6/15/08, 12:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I had to repair a problem myself after I got my Pony home from the bodyshop. I discovered the left turn signals were blinking too fast. So I looked at the lamps. The LH front signal bulb would not flash. The rear signal bulbs would only flash the outer one, not the inner one. So I deducted reasoning that something must have happened when the taillamps were removed and replaced. Sure enough, two wires got pinched in between the taillamp mounting stud and the rear body panel. The insulation was damaged and the two wires were shorting to each other causing back feed. As soon as I seperated the two wires shorting out it everything worked like it was supposed to. I just repaired it with electrical tape and secured the wires up higher so they would not fall onto the mounting studs.

This never blew a fuse, I guess because of the back feed taking a route through one of the filaments into the bulb and then to a ground. Good thing the rear body panel was painted well or it could have grounded at the short and caused a fire.

Last edited by watchdevil; 6/15/08 at 12:15 AM.