2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Should I pressure the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/05, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice from someone knowledgeable of how dealer size, volume, etc. affects when their orders get pulled.

I ordered my 05 vert - GT, 5 speed, IUP on Sept 04. Dealer called last week and said their dealership is only being allocated one vert (mine). They also said that because of the shortage of components, I may not get mine until May/June of this year.

So my question is this - How much pressure should I apply to the dealer to try and get my order bumped up? I think they are a small dealer (Central Illinois - middle of corn country) compared to those in big cities. With that in mind, with them being lower on the totem pole as far as volume is concerned, would it do any good to whine about the delay? I was originally told it would be late Feb/early March before I should expect it.

Appreciate any insight some of you might have regarding my dilema. Thanks.
Old 2/27/05, 10:05 AM

Todd, I think you should try to contact a forum member: "Karpro" (Paul). He works for a Ford dealer in Victor New York and he is always very helpful. (Also, his dealership sells all Mustangs for $200 below invoice, but they are about 700 miles away from you; not a bad-roadtrip). He can answer all you questions. Hopefully he will see this post and reply.
Old 2/27/05, 10:33 AM

John, thanks for the tip. I'll hang out today and see who replies.
Old 2/27/05, 11:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Pistolepete- I ordered a V6 premium vert 12-13 with ICAP and IUP. Its scheduled to be built 3-1. From the various threads, it appears that GT orders take longer than the V6 but COME ON...If your ordered back in September, and the Verts started production Jan 31st and your dealer says they only have ONE allocation for a Vert and it is YOURS, then your car should be on the production line no later than Feb 1st! Find out from the dealer what components there is a "shortage" on, cause if they tell you its the IUP, I would have a hard time buying that since my car is being built with the IUP next week and I ordered mine 3 months after you ordered yours. Oh, and by the way, the dealership I ordered from is in a small, rural area with very small allocations on the Stangs since they deal mostly with trucks.
Old 2/27/05, 05:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I would talk to your dealer. V6 verts seem to be about the easiest build right now. They need to build verts but with the backlog of GT coupe orders they don't want to start building a ton of GT verts ahead of the orders. With that being the case, they are forcing us to take a V6 vert for stock. The allocations are for Mustangs in general, not a particular configuration. The only restrictions are the available weekly commodities.
Old 2/27/05, 05:43 PM

Karpro, if I understand correctly, the GT Coupes are taking priority over GT verts, no matter when the verts were ordered?

Also, if mine is the only one they are getting at the dealership, you think I should press them to get it bumped up?

Just want to make sure I am not blowing smoke when I give them a call. If you have any other "ammunition" that would support my case I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 2/27/05, 05:52 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Todd, this might not be the most ethical thing to do... but if I had to order again I would've ordered the same car from two different dealers. You'll know within the first few weeks who's going to move your order along faster, then just tell the other dealer you want your deposit back. Make sure it's refundable in the first place and try to cancel the second before it gets pulled. I wouldn't feel too bad, they aren't going to have trouble selling it anyway.
Old 2/27/05, 07:03 PM

I kinda got a problem with that idea. I figure if I am upfront with folks, they'll do the same. Maybe I will have to end up waiting until June.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 2/27/05, 07:43 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I understand. I kinda have a problem with it too and thought the same thing. But I learned that when being upfront with my dealer, I didn't get the reciprocity. Hopefully you'll have better luck.
Old 2/27/05, 07:52 PM

Appreciate the vote of confidence. I'm going to chat with them tomorrow and see if there is anything that can be done to speed them up.

I know, I'm like the rest of the group that is "patiently" waiting for their car to arrive - it ain't happening fast enough!!
Old 2/27/05, 10:47 PM
FR500 Member

speeking of weekly commodities....i must have missed it this week
Old 3/1/05, 04:08 PM

Just talked to the dealer about my vert order. According to their zone rep, it will probably not get built until May!! Since mine is the only vert they get allocated this year, it must mean they are way low on the dealership priority.

Guess that is what I get for living/buying in smallsville usa. The wait is going to kill me!!
Old 3/1/05, 04:19 PM
FR500 Member

i feel like contacting the zone rep....how do i contact them??
Old 3/1/05, 05:25 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by RaGsHoCkEy88@March 1, 2005, 5:22 PM
i feel like contacting the zone rep....how do i contact them??

Ditto! Or the Regional Rep? Or anyone with answers? :bang: