2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Seven ugly GT-R pictures

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/04, 10:59 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can definitely see someone campaigning a GTR-like car in the Speed World Championship series (or whatever they are calling it now). Afterall, if Cadillac can dress a Corvette C5R up as a CTS V-Type and go hunting Vettes, 996's, and Audi A6's, someone can pull the same off with this car. People already run Saleens and Steedas in that series and do fairly well.

Further, the Cobra R has always been intended to be a race-ready Mustang. Don't be a bit surprised if the next one comes out looking a lot like the GTR. Robert Yates (for non-NASCAR fans, Yates and Jack Roush are the two Ford big dogs in the series) is on record pushing for approval to run the 5.0 Cammer in NASCAR. They are already running these engines in endurance racing. His engine builder in charge of the mod engines indicated in an interview (I think it was MM&FF or 5.0) getting well in excess of 500HP requires little to no effort.

I'd love to see a GTR in the old-school GT40 orange/baby blue Gulf livery swapping paint with Corvettes, Porsche 996's, and anything else someone wants to line up next to it.

Wouldn't you? B)

Clint
Old 7/22/04, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

IMO, the GT-R owns all and those who say it's rice should be shot on the spot. B)
Old 7/22/04, 01:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by bobdobolina@July 22, 2004, 11:02 AM
I can definitely see someone campaigning a GTR-like car in the Speed World Championship series (or whatever they are calling it now). Afterall, if Cadillac can dress a Corvette C5R up as a CTS V-Type and go hunting Vettes, 996's, and Audi A6's, someone can pull the same off with this car. People already run Saleens and Steedas in that series and do fairly well.

Further, the Cobra R has always been intended to be a race-ready Mustang. Don't be a bit surprised if the next one comes out looking a lot like the GTR. Robert Yates (for non-NASCAR fans, Yates and Jack Roush are the two Ford big dogs in the series) is on record pushing for approval to run the 5.0 Cammer in NASCAR. They are already running these engines in endurance racing. His engine builder in charge of the mod engines indicated in an interview (I think it was MM&FF or 5.0) getting well in excess of 500HP requires little to no effort.

I'd love to see a GTR in the old-school GT40 orange/baby blue Gulf livery swapping paint with Corvettes, Porsche 996's, and anything else someone wants to line up next to it.

Wouldn't you? B)

Clint
Good information, I must admit that some if not most of it is news to me. I wish the Mustang well in racing. Now if I only had a million or two to spare.

I thought that I saw a Ford GT (GT-40) in the four race class pack of 996's, Viper's and Vettes. It was on ESPN, the one where Jr. in his Vette got burned (6%)................it made the news, you could not of missed it. The top class was taken by Audi with a bunch of Lola's on it's tail.

I am not a racing expert, and do not pretend to be. I do know that in last weekends race the Viper was running like a slow dog. At one time the Viper ruled it's class, so tables can turn overnight.

The GTR is not rice......................don't shoot me.
Old 7/22/04, 01:38 PM
V6 Member

Three victories in a row for the car and driver below, the Stang would definately be in a different racing class.

Old 7/22/04, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kach22i@July 22, 2004, 1:29 PM

I thought that I saw a Ford GT (GT-40) in the four race class pack of 996's, Viper's and Vettes. It was on ESPN, the one where Jr. in his Vette got burned (6%)................it made the news, you could not of missed it. The top class was taken by Audi with a bunch of Lola's on it's tail.

There aren't any Ford GTs running in ALMS yet. I suspect you saw either the Saleen S7 or one of the Lambo Murcielago Rs. It would be nice to see either the GT or the Mustang GT-R running next year. heck, it would be nice to see anything new. Right now, the top class (P1) has one Audi and two Lola-MGs. In the GTS class, there are 2 C5Rs, 1 Saleen, 2 Lambos, and a Viper. In the GT class, there are 10 911s, 1 360 Modena, and 1 Panoz.