2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saleen super shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/11, 08:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made a decision and I am going to start to save up for the super shaker.

Was thinking about getting it from stage 3 motorsports because.I found a 5% off cupon online. Plus I want the 500hp rated one.

Question is I have a frpp throttle body steeds, udp's and cams. Can I use or is it recommended to use these bolt on's with the shaker supercharger? Also how do I have it calibrated before it is sent with those modifications?

And last. Any one know where I can get it the cheapest or have a warrenty with it?

Thanks guys

Last edited by mptant913; 5/31/11 at 08:31 AM.
Old 5/31/11, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I purchased my SS from JDM, at a very good price. Its been on the car 3 years now. Zero issues. The throttle body should not be a issue, and for the other mods, I believe you will just need a very good tune.

I am near BBR for my tunes, and now Chris emails them as well. Also know JDM does good tunes as well. So besides that, you should be good to go. I did have a warranty on the blower it self, and the Ford shop that does my warranty did not void me because I had the SS.
Old 5/31/11, 11:15 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
isnt the 500 kit requiring a forged bottom end to keep it from grenading the first time its floored? I had thought about 425 was the reasonably 'safe' limit?

in any event, thats a cool setup for sure- good luck in your shopping
Old 5/31/11, 11:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The SuperShaker kit straight from Saleen is rated at 500BHP ... that is the base SuperShaker kit ...

I also got my kit from JDM Engineering... Dyno'd 430 RWHP at 6K RPM.

The more mods you have the more likely you'll need a dyno tune instead of a mail order tune. I have 0 mods (except for the 39lb injectors included with the kit) ... so I am using JDM's tune.
Old 5/31/11, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well between the throttle body cams shortie headers with the pypes off road x pipe .. I should be making more the 500hp.. unless if I can use the jlt 110 mm cai with the regular 475hp supercharger then I can do that and save money but that shaker system looks sick
Old 5/31/11, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
isnt the 500 kit requiring a forged bottom end to keep it from grenading the first time its floored?
Thanks man..

Anyone hear about this?
Old 5/31/11, 01:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you're in New York I'd just go down to JDM and have them tune it for you. They have a lot of experience with the Saleen blowers and Jim Sr. is one of the best tuners for the Saleen.

As for the 500hp grenading the motor... this is an unknown really. A question that's been asked many times with varying responses.

500hp at the crank is 200 more than the motor was designed for so you are pushing it no matter what anyone tells you (vendors included).

If you drive the car hard and race a lot then the motor life expectancy will likely be lower than with a stock motor because of the added stress.... but if you just drive around town and occasionally get on it then you're likely to last a long time.

It all depends on so many factors that it's hard to say. Will YOUR motor be ok with 500hp? Maybe... but be willing to pay the piper if it's not.

I found with my Saleen that with round 8lbs of boost the car ran great, had no issues and was fun to drive. Once I went to smaller pulley (chasing the magic 500 number) I went through three clutches and lots of headache before I realized that my car was no longer fun to drive.

On top of that I was always concerned that I was pushing the motor too hard... that's MY thing though so you may not be as concerned. All depends on the owner and what he is comfortable with.

I went back to the 8lb pulley and the car was fun again
Old 5/31/11, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Imatk
Since you're in New York I'd just go down to JDM and have them tune it for you. They have a lot of experience with the Saleen blowers and Jim Sr. is one of the best tuners for the Saleen.

As for the 500hp grenading the motor... this is an unknown really. A question that's been asked many times with varying responses.

500hp at the crank is 200 more than the motor was designed for so you are pushing it no matter what anyone tells you (vendors included).

If you drive the car hard and race a lot then the motor life expectancy will likely be lower than with a stock motor because of the added stress.... but if you just drive around town and occasionally get on it then you're likely to last a long time.

It all depends on so many factors that it's hard to say. Will YOUR motor be ok with 500hp? Maybe... but be willing to pay the piper if it's not.

I found with my Saleen that with round 8lbs of boost the car ran great, had no issues and was fun to drive. Once I went to smaller pulley (chasing the magic 500 number) I went through three clutches and lots of headache before I realized that my car was no longer fun to drive.

On top of that I was always concerned that I was pushing the motor too hard... that's MY thing though so you may not be as concerned. All depends on the owner and what he is comfortable with.

I went back to the 8lb pulley and the car was fun again
To be honest I go back and forth with what to do. I want decent power but still have a daily driver so I did bolt ins but it feels like I need more hp ... so I was thinking to add a supercharger but im more fond of the bolt on supercharger like saleen or Roush rather then vortech or procharger... I figured being that I have some bolt ons already I can get a saleen super shaker or the 475hp version and reuse everything and just sell the frpp intake manifold... and probably hit 500 hp anyways because of the bolt ons
Old 5/31/11, 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mptant913
To be honest I go back and forth with what to do. I want decent power but still have a daily driver so I did bolt ins but it feels like I need more hp ... so I was thinking to add a supercharger but im more fond of the bolt on supercharger like saleen or Roush rather then vortech or procharger... I figured being that I have some bolt ons already I can get a saleen super shaker or the 475hp version and reuse everything and just sell the frpp intake manifold... and probably hit 500 hp anyways because of the bolt ons
The 500 hp version on JDMs site looks to be running the 3.6 pulley as it states:

" Boost levels are a conservative 6-7 psi at redline which keeps the engine safe and will provide total reliability."

So I think you'd be fine with that man. That's the same setup I ran on my car and it drove great and I loved it!

It was when I went to the 3.2 pulley (10-11 lbs) that things went all to hell.

Are your headers long-tube or shorties? With the headers you'll likely see a pound or so less of boost, but you'll make more power with the headers and the blower I suspect (30 or so hp maybe).

With the cams and TB I really don't know what that would do for you. If you called JDM they will likely know what you'll make with your setup.
Old 5/31/11, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Imatk

The 500 hp version on JDMs site looks to be running the 3.6 pulley as it states:

" Boost levels are a conservative 6-7 psi at redline which keeps the engine safe and will provide total reliability."

So I think you'd be fine with that man. That's the same setup I ran on my car and it drove great and I loved it!

It was when I went to the 3.2 pulley (10-11 lbs) that things went all to hell.

Are your headers long-tube or shorties? With the headers you'll likely see a pound or so less of boost, but you'll make more power with the headers and the blower I suspect (30 or so hp maybe).

With the cams and TB I really don't know what that would do for you. If you called JDM they will likely know what you'll make with your setup.
Sounds awesome thanks for the info... I have frpp shorties with pypes off road x pipe
Old 6/2/11, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ninjak
the Ford shop that does my warranty did not void me because I had the SS.
How did they not void the warrenty?

I thought once you put a supercharger on it voids it?
Old 6/2/11, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mptant913
How did they not void the warrenty?

I thought once you put a supercharger on it voids it?
A warranty can really only be voided "legally" if the aftermarket part can be proven to cause a failure and need for warranty repair.

In other words... you blow up your motor with a supercharger they're not gonna fix it... but if say a wiper motor fails then you'll be alright since the supercharger could not have possibly had anything to do with that failure.

NOW if you get a real uptight dealership they might deny you warranty work just because they don't want to deal with the possibility that it gets denied by Ford.

If you're truly concerned about warranty find a dealer you like and trust and form a relationship with the service manager and let him know what your plans are and ask if they would continue to honor the warranty minus the obvious motor blowing up scenario mentioned above.
Old 6/2/11, 12:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The only warranty I am aware of is if a Saleen Speedlab does the install ... Saleen basically picks up the Ford Warranty for the drivetrain ... I think you are also required to use the Saleen Tune for the Saleen warranty.
Old 6/4/11, 11:43 PM

I think u'll be alright with the cams and throttle body but I think that the harmonic balancer will have to be changed so the UDP's won't work. But the new kit should come with the new harmonic balancer specific to the kit.
Old 6/5/11, 12:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I hear either JDM or Brenspeed are the best vendors to buy a Saleen charger from as they have lots of experience with them.

I am going to wait until later in the year when things slow down for the vendors and hopefully someone will have a good sale on them.