2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

PCM crapped out - Dealer is NOT making me happy

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/09, 02:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That price is nuts! Dealer = $$

Give these guys a call and see what they say.

http://www.fordecu.com/?gclid=CN6jrI...FdA65QodFRg-rw
Old 12/10/09, 05:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiberius1701
PM me with your VIN and I can look into coverages..
Check your PM
Old 12/10/09, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
That price is nuts! Dealer = $$

Give these guys a call and see what they say.

http://www.fordecu.com/?gclid=CN6jrI...FdA65QodFRg-rw
They don't list our PCM in stock. They say its special order.
Old 12/10/09, 06:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I hear ya Tommy. A lot of dealerships used to offer loaner cars just as long as the car was purchased from and being serviced at the dealer. I don't see that much anymore. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's anything in the warranty anyways about getting a rental car... is there? My understanding is that it's usually just done for customer service reasons. Correct?
When you buy a genuine Ford ESP, Ford reimburses the dealer for a loaner car when the car is left longer than a day for a covered repair. If the repair is not covered by warranty, Ford does not cover the loaner car.
Old 12/10/09, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Sorry to hear about all the problems Tommy. Hope you get the Stang back on the road without a big hit to the wallet.

I still have no A/C to this day, but that's how I roll.
For some strange reason, this made me laugh.
Old 12/10/09, 09:11 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429

just got to thinking too- you need to restore your old tune before unhooking the old pcm or the tuner wont acknowledge the new processor serial number - correct?

QFE. Good call Tim. I think that's correct, but if it's not, I'd make darn sure it isn't.
Old 12/11/09, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Well here's the update.... The part arrived early - came in yesterday, and I got the car back last night. (THANK GOD!)

It all worked out - Ford got the new PCM in the car, and everything is was working okay. (no more codes). However, I told them not to drive it since it has the JLT intake in there with a factory tune (no bueno!) - and it needs the almighty RET tune to run correctly! (Racers Edge Tuning - Downey, CA)

So they didn't want to upload the SCT tune at the dealership since they weren't familiar with that type of tuner. I told them to button it up, and when I got there I'd plug in the SCT myself. So I uploaded the RET tune again, and the car fired right up stronger than ever!

Now the fun part - Greg (RET) was right in the fact that the TB took a crap. The problem is that when it took a crap it shorted out, and blew the pin on the PCM. Luckily I saved my stock TB so I was able to drop that off at Ford and they swapped them. They said that when they tested the GMS throttle body, it was sending out all sorts of either low voltage, or it would freak out and send a voltage spike as well. They think this was slowly killing the PCM which was causing my rough idle conditions and hard starting. All of that is gone now!

As soon as they got the new TB in, and I updated the new PCM with the RET tune, the car fired right up with more power than it had in June when Greg tuned it! The whole car feels so much stronger now! I can't wait to get it on the dyno again, and see if it breaks the 300rwhp mark!
(I'm wondering if the reason it only pulled 293 in June is the ****ty TB acting up)

But anyway... BBBIIIGGGG thanks to Greg for all his help on Monday trouble shooting everything with me on the phone all day! Now I just gotta save up for my headers again - so I can have him re-tune for those and some CMDPs!

-Tommy
Old 12/11/09, 01:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So, your aftermarket TB from GMS was the cause of your PCM failure? And you were mad at the dealer (and Ford?) because they wouldn't do you any favors on the cost to fix it or a loaner car?

Anyway, I'm glad that your car is fixed and stronger than ever! Go out and enjoy, get back to the dyno, and let us know if you're over the 300 rwhp mark yet!
Old 12/11/09, 01:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
So, your aftermarket TB from GMS was the cause of your PCM failure? And you were mad at the dealer (and Ford?) because they wouldn't do you any favors on the cost to fix it or a loaner car?
Yes - I was. Because at the time when they were telling me they weren't going to cover anything or help me out with a loaner, they hadn't even found the cause of the problem yet! They were not pleasant to deal with at all during this process. Nothing was tied back to the throttle body yet. In fact I had even mentioned it was an aftermarket TB, and they said that shouldn't be a problem, as they didn't think it was the cause at first. They were not being very pleasant about it, and seemed to give off a vibe that if you didn't have a warranty anymore, they didn't care. That's why I was pissed. The actual work on the car was fine, but the customer service was terrible.

My gripe was never with the part failing (although it sucked it happened right out of warranty). Now that they showed me what the GMS TB was doing, and that it was the TB that caused the PCM failure, I understand it won't be covered at all . That's the risk we take with aftermarket parts I guess.

Car hits the dyno tomorrow - I'll let you know if it picked up anything on paper! (The butt dyno is definitely feeling an increase! haha)
Old 12/11/09, 02:58 PM
GT Member

Ive never been a fan of GMS stuff and this is more proof that it is junk.
Old 12/11/09, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jasongt06
Ive never been a fan of GMS stuff and this is more proof that it is junk.
Yeah man... I got a sick deal on that TB (no wonder).

I'M NEVER BUYING GMS AGAIN!
Old 12/11/09, 06:19 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I've heard too much bad about GMS to ever put any of their stuff on my car. Glad you got your problem solved.
Old 12/11/09, 09:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm glad you got it all worked out, and you gotta come down to the Fontana drags again!!
Old 12/12/09, 02:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I was going to say a short somewhere or bad ground. Then read more and more, and you got it going again.
Then I was going to say GMS = crap. Then an aftermarket TB on a N/A car is a waste of money.
One of the 1st times I ever said this, but I side with the dealer on this case.
All in all, I'm glad the car is up and running!
Old 12/25/09, 10:35 PM
Cobra Member

Glad you got your car up and going again. But I seriously question the cost you quoted in your first post. I have replaced my PCM twice. Once because it original crapped out, and once when I swapped from a standard transmission to an automatic. Neither time did it cost me a thousand dollars.
Old 12/26/09, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm just surprised it's only $1100 for a PCM.
Old 8/31/19, 10:29 AM

Do the pcm part numbers have to match can I put a 09 pcm in a 08

Originally Posted by hawgman
Glad you got your car up and going again. But I seriously question the cost you quoted in your first post. I have replaced my PCM twice. Once because it original crapped out, and once when I swapped from a standard transmission to an automatic. Neither time did it cost me a thousand dollars.
Do the part numbers have to match can u put a 09 pcm in a 08