2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

No test drive allowed!

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/04, 11:34 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im sure if you show up with money or approved finacing for the amount of the car they would be willing to let you take it for a test drive. but if your just one of the 40 or so people that day to come in asking for a test drive you bet they are going to say no. when i worked at a motorcycle dealership we didn't let people test ride the bikes until we had money or finacing in hand. if at that point the decide they didn't want it we would give them there money back and put the bike back on the showroom.
Old 10/23/04, 11:37 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I use two dealers..

One is close to my house, and I really really like the salesman there. Problem is, the dealership has a bad rep for overjacked pricing. The salesman there knows I am buying, just not until early next year. He is absolutely ok. I have not gotten pricing from them, because well...even for an 04 they had been selling vanillas at GT prices. I go there to find out info, and I was called there to see their mustang. I don't expect to get my car here at the same price as the larger no haggle dealer.

The second dealer is further, its a no haggle low price ford dealer. The salesmen are ok........but kinda gold chain polyester like. I have went a little further with them, and gotten pricing ordering info etc. We sat down Wednesday and talked about what needed to be done to get me into the 05. They do not have 05s and no ETA either.

Still, I want it, both know it, and whichever one makes me happier in the end-----I
drive off in it. If I happened by a car dealer today, and they had a black/charcoal/white stripe manual IUP mustang with a shaker that was not promised to anyone, I would absolutely drive home in it today AFTER I took it down the street. If it were promised, I would totally drool over it, and go home sad.

If they want my car for a trade in, do they not test drive and examine it first? Yes they do...
Old 10/23/04, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by cdcdany@October 23, 2004, 11:31 AM
I test drove a V6 one one dealer's lot and was up front about the fact that I had a V8 on order from another dealer. Had I truly loved the V6 would I have bought it, possibly. And, I believe the dealer at least partially suspected this which is why he allowed a test drive. Further, I was up front with him, explaining I already had an order and inquiring as to how quickly they could get a GT with my exact specs.

So, here is my 2 cents...

Ask yourself whether or not you intend to purchase a Mustang. If you do, than expect and demand a test drive. If you do not get one, do business elsewhere.

If however, you have no intent to purchase immediately, stop whining and wait until they become more readily available for test drives.
Exactly cd! If your up front with them, and show that you are a responsible person, most experienced salsepeople will let you take it for a test drive.

You can bet your boots that an experienced salseman knows the diff. between a tire kicker, and someone that is truely interested. They were'nt born yesterday.

Case in point...... Yesterday 3 teenagers were racing along the main drag, close to my hometown. Car went sideways across 2 sections of highway. Hit a pole. 2 survivors. the driver was pulled from the car. The 16 year old, in the back seat was burnt, and died when the car exploded.

The car was a toyota Camry!

Now can you just imagine any one of these 3 people walking on a lot and asking for a test drive in a 300hp Mustang,?...... because I certainly cannot? :bang:
Old 10/23/04, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Merlot+October 23, 2004, 10:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Merlot @ October 23, 2004, 10:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shashou@October 23, 2004, 1:01 AM
Just a question for everyone displeased at not being able to test drive a new Mustang. If you were truly satisfied with the car, would you have bought it?
Well, how can you be truely satisified, if you haven't even taken it for a test drive?
they advertise for you to come in and test drive where I live.

They have to. Not everyday someone comes along with 40 G'S to purchase a new car.
There's an old saying.... "To EACH HIS OWN"
If I was going to fork over $40,000, I sure as heck would want to see where my 40 grand is going!

Would you buy a new house, without checking it out?

If the car means more to the dealer to have it sit on their lot, than sell them, well then, they can keep them. Hope they use them for planting flowers, or something
Like someone else has already mentioned here.............................................t hey are called Demo's people. My salseman will have one.
PLAIN AND SIMPLE
No test drive................. No buy! [/b][/quote]
right on brotha!
Old 10/23/04, 01:53 PM

I absolutely agree that if a customer is truly in the market for a car, they should be granted a test drive. The retailer is obligated to provide that. However, it sounds like some people want a test drive but have no intention of buying. A lot of people behave as though the dealer is a test facility. If I was a dealer and someone who didn't want to buy a car from me wanted to drive my car, I would also deny them.
Old 10/23/04, 02:00 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I think I have been misrepresented as one of the buys without driving...Sorry if this is the case. I didn't mean to represent myself as such and must apologize if that were the case.

I am buying, I do know where, but I still want to see feel and touch one. Problem is here, they are distributing them funny. Dealer A may have a whole scad, Dealer B may be mustangless for and up to the near future.

ALL the dealers I have messed with know I am not buying this second.The one I am actually 100% buying from(but need a good salesman) even knows I gotta get rid of my olds first. They also know unless my exact car shows up somewhere, I will order it from AAI. I don't like playing the misrepresent game.

So with that said, the salesman I like will let me play when his next shipment comes in, and knows I need a deal.He knows how much I adore it, and let me play all over the green one they got last weekend. I would give anything if he would move to the dealer I like.
Lot B(Don't have a salesman I like there yet) knows I want to see feel and touch, and love their price but has promised nothing but a good price.

In either case, all my curiosity will be over this time next week- I got a 3 pm slot in Atlanta next Saturday.