2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

No test drive allowed!

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/04, 04:08 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ponyboy66+October 22, 2004, 4:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ponyboy66 @ October 22, 2004, 4:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-JZInternet@October 22, 2004, 1:00 PM
Who would buy a car without test driving it first?
Me would. And did.[/b][/quote]
First time I did that... but I did..
Old 10/22/04, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Any self respecting dealer should have a V6 and a V8 demo car. And shouldn't let anyone drive any of the stock cars.
Old 10/22/04, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't worry, when the fad is over, they'll be throwing the keys to you!
Old 10/22/04, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@October 22, 2004, 1:04 PM
Happened to me last Saturday. The dealer close to me told me a green gt had just arrived. I broke all laws of traffic to get there quickly and go drive....Get there and the **#($ thing was on the showroom floor. We arent letting people drive it, so it won't have miles on it. WTF, I was kinda poed.

Apparently not ten minutes after I left some poor soul came from MS and snatched it up. $29,730 later.....the poor dears for an auto.
Hey, can I come over and take your Bronco for a joy ride? I am not buying one right now, but I really want to drive one. You don't mind if I take your truck for spin, do you.
Come on. Why should a dealer let you joy ride in their car. You have said you are not even buying one. If you want to drive one, go rent it.
It's so funny. In one thread there are people complaining about miles being put on their cars and saying how they wouldn't buy one that has been test driven. And in this thread people are complaining about not getting to test drive a car they have no intention of buying. Do you people listen to yourselves.
What should dealers do. Let you all take their car for a joy ride and then try to get someone else to buy it after you beat on it?
Old 10/22/04, 05:21 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

You are welcome to go back into your hole now.
Old 10/22/04, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Eric B@October 22, 2004, 4:35 PM
Any self respecting dealer should have a V6 and a V8 demo car. And shouldn't let anyone drive any of the stock cars.
Dealers can't even get enough cars for their sold customers. How are they going to have a GT just sitting around for people to take a spin?
Yes, once Ford gets production up then there should be cars to drive. But right now you aren't driving one unless you convince them you are serious about buying it.
Old 10/22/04, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@October 22, 2004, 5:24 PM
Before I go, I welcome any rational discussion of your point of view.
And, I take it that's a "no" to my test drive request.
Old 10/22/04, 05:30 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by GTMAN+October 22, 2004, 6:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GTMAN @ October 22, 2004, 6:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EleanorsMine@October 22, 2004, 5:24 PM
And, I take it that's a "no" to my test drive request. [/b][/quote]
Like I am going to sell something to someone without letting them test it out right. But as it were, I am not going to get into a peeing contest with someone who comes on here and their first four posts are nothing but trash talk.
Old 10/22/04, 05:40 PM

Most of the salesmen here are pretty leniant of test drives but of course the cars we want to test drive are not brand new and are highly anticipated. We've also had the luck of getting begginner salesmen. But once in Fremont we saw a Stage 3 Roush(before my dad got the roush) it was in the showroom. He said we could test drive it but then the manager was there and was hesitant and was like are you sure you want to buy it? So we said aw screw it and left. But like a year later we went to frontier ford just to look at roushs, and we saw a dark shadow grey stage 2 in the showroom. It was beautiful. Next day we come back with both my parents and we actually start to be talking to lower the price and we had a last straw where if they didn't want to lower the price this much, I dunno it was confusing, that they would not buy it. He came back and shook his head smiling and they budged. And the rest is history and that roush is in the garage. But that still is screwy on the stinginess of not letting people test drive. Who in their right mind would buy a car BEFORE test driving it?
Old 10/22/04, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by EleanorsMine+October 22, 2004, 5:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (EleanorsMine @ October 22, 2004, 5:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by GTMAN@October 22, 2004, 6:30 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-EleanorsMine
@October 22, 2004, 5:24 PM

And, I take it that's a "no" to my test drive request.
Like I am going to sell something to someone without letting them test it out right. But as it were, I am not going to get into a peeing contest with someone who comes on here and their first four posts are nothing but trash talk. [/b][/quote]
agreed
Old 10/22/04, 06:16 PM

Why does it matter how many posts I've made. I always think it is funny that when someone new says something contrary, people try to invalidate it by pointing out that they are new. Why don't you just say that maybe your attitude is wrong.
I am not trash talking. I just disagree with what you and others are saying. Isn't that sometimes the point of conversation. To discuss a different opinion.
Old 10/23/04, 12:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok guys I can see both sides. GTMAN has a point. As does April. I agree with gtman on the whole why allow someone to test drive a car that they have no intention in buying right now. And April I can also see where you have a point in not buying before test driving.

I mean I have a local dealer who is supossed to call me when they get in an 05 & I have already told him that I am not looking at buying cuz I already have one on order. And therefore I ahve NO intention of asking for a test drive. I just wnat to see on & sit in one to see how they sit & to get a feel for one. Maybe crank it up & listen to it run. But I don't want a test drive. I will test drive mine when I go to pick it up.

Now, if I was going down there with the intention to buy then yes I wuold probably demand a test drive or else I would walk out. But really guys, how many of you want to go to buy a new car only to find that it has 150 miles on it only because people have been coming for a joy ride in the thing. I am not. If I went to buy a new car & it had 150 miles on it then I would NOT pay the new car price. I mean the car is not new anymore. You loose more money driving it off the lot with 150 or even 50 miles on it than if you purchased a new one with 15 miles on it. It's a total rip off & some people are just naive enough to fall for it.

I am sorry if I offended anyone. That was not my intention. I just can see how both sides have a point. That's all. Cheers mates.
Old 10/23/04, 12:58 AM

Just a question for everyone displeased at not being able to test drive a new Mustang. If you were truly satisfied with the car, would you have bought it?
Old 10/23/04, 03:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kerafaith@October 23, 2004, 1:00 AM
Ok guys I can see both sides. GTMAN has a point. As does April. I agree with gtman on the whole why allow someone to test drive a car that they have no intention in buying right now. And April I can also see where you have a point in not buying before test driving.

I mean I have a local dealer who is supossed to call me when they get in an 05 & I have already told him that I am not looking at buying cuz I already have one on order. And therefore I ahve NO intention of asking for a test drive. I just wnat to see on & sit in one to see how they sit & to get a feel for one. Maybe crank it up & listen to it run. But I don't want a test drive. I will test drive mine when I go to pick it up.

Now, if I was going down there with the intention to buy then yes I wuold probably demand a test drive or else I would walk out. But really guys, how many of you want to go to buy a new car only to find that it has 150 miles on it only because people have been coming for a joy ride in the thing. I am not. If I went to buy a new car & it had 150 miles on it then I would NOT pay the new car price. I mean the car is not new anymore. You loose more money driving it off the lot with 150 or even 50 miles on it than if you purchased a new one with 15 miles on it. It's a total rip off & some people are just naive enough to fall for it.

I am sorry if I offended anyone. That was not my intention. I just can see how both sides have a point. That's all. Cheers mates.

I see where you are coming from but I WILL be ordering mine in 2 months so yes I want to know how my car is going to drive.

<EDIT> On the other hand I don't think it's right that people that have no intention or don't have the money to buy this car go test drive it and rack up miles on the only car at the dealer. Although I think that the majority of people that take a car for a test drive actually consider buying it or another vehicle at the lot. </EDIT>

Instead of letting people test drive the thing for 10 or 20 miles a dealer could let them take it down the road a mile or around the block. It may not be the best test drive, but so what. At least it gives the customer an idea of the performance and overall feel of the car. At that rate, they would have to give out a ton of test drives on each car before they would reach 150 miles. In that case I seriously doubt that the car would be test drove that many times before someone would actually buy it.

The dealers that only have 1 or 2 right now will probably sell them within a week or so anyway. After the car has been out for a while and there are 15 of them on the lot and the novely has worn off, then it's not a big deal.

Another thing to think about: What do you think happens when a dealer makes a trade with a vehicle a hundred miles away? They drive the vehicle to the dealership. Atleast they did for me before.

I really don't think it's a major problem for most dealers as you hear more people that have had test drives then not. If they majority of dealers don't care why should I?

No offense to anyone else, but I know for myself that If I'm spending 30 grand for a new car I want to check it out first. That is certainly more important than worring about putting a couple miles on a car that someone else will buy IMO anyway.

Jason
Old 10/23/04, 06:24 AM
V6 Member

would you want a bunch of people test driving your car before you bought it?
Old 10/23/04, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by zinn@October 23, 2004, 6:27 AM
would you want a bunch of people test driving your car before you bought it?
All that matters is I get to test drive one before invest all that money on it. And no that wouldn't bother me. They wouldn't do anything that I wouldn't. Not much you can do in the middle of town where the speed limit is 35 mph and traffic everywhere anyways. What is the worst that they can do go 5 over the speed limit? Whether the car has 10 miles on it or a 100 miles it makes no difference because I plan on putting on the next 100,000.
Old 10/23/04, 09:27 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by shashou@October 23, 2004, 2:01 AM
Just a question for everyone displeased at not being able to test drive a new Mustang. If you were truly satisfied with the car, would you have bought it?
I am buying it either way, because I am nuts in love with it. I just like to see what I am in for before I get it. I know this time next week I will be in Atlanta tearing one up, so its not sooooo bad. This is the first car ever I have been excited about. As well, I have been to dealerships I am not sure about buying from just to see about the sales staff and how they act. That's ultimately how I decided who to purchase from. I am ordering in January, and will be picking it up in March.

I would NOT want to drive a car that had been ordered for someone else and was waiting to be picked up by them, but a car sitting on the dealer lot is something else entirely. Everyone has test driven a car. I have before done so and decided yes and no. As I am sure all of you have.

As for the Bronco- We originally picked it up to be a total restoration project, and my husband was only selling it to get me an 04 until I could have my 5. We since thought about it and realized we could take the second car payment money and sink it into the restoration- paint, soft top, interior redo etc. When we are done, Itll be something. If Overhaulin chooses it, that's a whole other ballgame. BUT If it were still for sale, and someone was interested, YES they would drive it before they decided.
Old 10/23/04, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by shashou@October 23, 2004, 1:01 AM
Well, how can you be truely satisified, if you haven't even taken it for a test drive?
they advertise for you to come in and test drive where I live.

They have to. Not everyday someone comes along with 40 G'S to purchase a new car.
There's an old saying.... "To EACH HIS OWN"
If I was going to fork over $40,000, I sure as heck would want to see where my 40 grand is going!

Would you buy a new house, without checking it out?

If the car means more to the dealer to have it sit on their lot, than sell them, well then, they can keep them. Hope they use them for planting flowers, or something
Like someone else has already mentioned here.............................................t hey are called Demo's people. My salseman will have one.
PLAIN AND SIMPLE
No test drive................. No buy!
Old 10/23/04, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GTMAN+October 22, 2004, 5:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GTMAN @ October 22, 2004, 5:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EleanorsMine@October 22, 2004, 1:04 PM
Happened to me last Saturday. The dealer close to me told me a green gt had just arrived. I broke all laws of traffic to get there quickly and go drive....Get there and the **#($ thing was on the showroom floor. We arent letting people drive it, so it won't have miles on it. WTF, I was kinda poed.

Apparently not ten minutes after I left some poor soul came from MS and snatched it up. $29,730 later.....the poor dears for an auto.
Hey, can I come over and take your Bronco for a joy ride? I am not buying one right now, but I really want to drive one. You don't mind if I take your truck for spin, do you.
Come on. Why should a dealer let you joy ride in their car. You have said you are not even buying one. If you want to drive one, go rent it.
It's so funny. In one thread there are people complaining about miles being put on their cars and saying how they wouldn't buy one that has been test driven. And in this thread people are complaining about not getting to test drive a car they have no intention of buying. Do you people listen to yourselves.
What should dealers do. Let you all take their car for a joy ride and then try to get someone else to buy it after you beat on it? [/b][/quote]
Good thing it's not my Bronco!

I would'nt let you take it for a test drive, because you just stated that you have no intention of buying one right now.

So that would tell me, that you, are just a tire-kicker! :clown:
Old 10/23/04, 11:28 AM

I test drove a V6 one one dealer's lot and was up front about the fact that I had a V8 on order from another dealer. Had I truly loved the V6 would I have bought it, possibly. And, I believe the dealer at least partially suspected this which is why he allowed a test drive. Further, I was up front with him, explaining I already had an order and inquiring as to how quickly they could get a GT with my exact specs.

So, here is my 2 cents...

Ask yourself whether or not you intend to purchase a Mustang. If you do, than expect and demand a test drive. If you do not get one, do business elsewhere.

If however, you have no intent to purchase immediately, stop whining and wait until they become more readily available for test drives.

Quick Reply: No test drive allowed!