2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

New Mustang :)

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/07, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 99 V6 when I was 16, and I had trouble with that. You are extremely lucky for getting a GT. Im almost 18 now, and had I gotten a GT instead of the 6, I would probably be dead.
Old 6/5/07, 11:43 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangKid91
ya i finnally got my liscence today and intill my stang gets delivered my mom gave me her denali and i drove that around alot today..... but i went to the beach and let me tell ya ill be mad if i get sand in my new car lol... but if i had my mustang it would have been alot different day
Man and i thought i was lucky.. My high school graduation present is my fathers signature on the contract for me to get a mustang GT. I have to pay the downpayment, monthly's, insurance and gas. Still worth it though
Old 6/18/07, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

did you get it yet?
Old 6/18/07, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

ADVICE from someone who knows better by trial and error:

1.) Take delivery STOCK and enjoy it for at least a month before you buy any parts.

2.) The Stock Exhaust works fine and will keep you out of trouble with Johnny Law.

3.) If anything, the GT Autos need a CAI and Reflash for improved pedal response and better fuel mileage. I'm not so sure what a lease vehicle entails, but ask your dealer if they can assist you with this one.

4.) Realize this isn't really your car. Your parents are leasing it for you as a reward for being good. This includes being good throughout the lease.

5.) You can learn more in 10 minutes on a Track than 2 years on the road. The couple hundred bucks for track time is cheaper than your deductible!

Answers:

Yes it will beat most any stock V8 on the market. Reaction time and gear selection is what wins "races". Look at 1/4 mile times and all the street cars that look and sound "streetable" are in the high 11s to low 13s. A stock Mustang is a 13.5 car, so if you have a good reaction you can take cars in the mid 12s. Most people who own high end cars have money and no experience (like you NOW). What you want is to experience this vehicle and use it as a tool to build what you know. Then, once your parents push you through college and post grad...You can have the total package. Bone this up and plan on driving and S70!
Old 6/18/07, 08:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by n00bstang
did you get it yet?
called friday and said they were done being built so i hope i will have it this weeknd ...ill be sure to post pics
Old 6/19/07, 12:56 AM
FR500 Member

i remember i was 18 in ur position but that was 2005. now im 20. the car was impossible to get. just be careful the car is fast stock...even faster when u mod it. ull enjoy it. my brother tonight was making fun of me for driving like a grandma. hes 18, has a 2003 mach 1 he was driving in front of me, flying...soo just be careful and open it up when the road is completely empty
Old 6/19/07, 12:57 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Silver99v6
I bought my 99 V6 when I was 16, and I had trouble with that. You are extremely lucky for getting a GT. Im almost 18 now, and had I gotten a GT instead of the 6, I would probably be dead.

sorry but the way u worded this was funny
Old 6/19/07, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
16??? Sheet, my first car was a 75 Maverick with a 6 cyl. First wreck was 26 days after getting my license. Had a bit more after that not to mention a boat load of speeding tickets and a suspended licence by the time I was 19. My issue was I thought I was qualifying for Daytona everytime I got on the road. Thank god I didn't have my Stang back then. Now people tell me I drive it like an old man with the SC under the hood. Getting a CDL at 20 and driving trucks taught me a lot of what it's really like. Lessons learned.

Good luck with it and be safe, very safe. Even though your 16 with loads of sack and probably think "It won't happen to me", trust us old geezers on here..IT CAN and WILL if you push the envelope!

I can't believe I sound like my dad right now
Old 6/19/07, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on your new 'Stang! I got infected with the "virus" when I was an exchange student in '96 (17 years old), and in '06 I finally made my dream come true...
Old 6/19/07, 12:48 PM

I'm 24, and the three collisions I've been in, were when I was 17.

My parents gave me their old '95 Hyundai Sonata GLS (6cyl, 0-60 in like 9 seconds, which was pretty fast compared to my friends' even POS-ier hand-me-down cars) when I was 17. I used to race around in it, thinking I was hot sh*t, trying to convince every other motorist that I wasn't a "slow driving dork in a sedan."

Accident #1: Going 90 when someone pulls a U-turn into my lane. $3000 in driver-side/front-fender area. Fortunately for my lucky ***, it was determined to be his fault.

Accident #2: A few months later: Driver's door hanging open while backing up towards mailbox, because I'm lazy. I'm looking behind me and I lose my balance, foot slips onto gas, and it's practically WOT. Car reverses into mailbox at ~10-15mph, front door is ripped off. Cost: $2k

Accident #3: While my Hyundai is in the shop, I borrow my mother's 2000 Volvo S70. It is brand spanking new - I think a few months since she purchased it. I'm exiting the mall after a late night movie, am surprised by a hairpin turn labelled "15mph" as I am driving 55, and hit the curb, popped a wheelie, ran over some pretty large bushes and crashed down on the pavement on the other side. Lots of stuff broke, ~$15k in damages. (they still have the same bushes at that mall, and the two I destroyed 7 years ago look very out of place in the row of otherwise healthy bushes). Ironically, this is the same Volvo S70 that I am currently borrowing from my mother again.

A few years ago, when I was driving my Hyundai up i95 at about 80mph, passenger-side/front wheel fell off. My bumper/fender/brake-rotor scraped/sparked against pavement for about 100ft. You can blame Hyundai, but I blame all the jack@ssery I committed when I first learned to drive.

Lesson I learned: Don't drive like a jack@ss. You will get alot more respect for driving safely and courtiously. Also, teenagers can't drive. I always thought I was excluded from "typical dumb teenagers," but that wasn't the case.

Only through blood, sweat, and tears (or superhuman maturity & responsibility) do I think a person can really care about what they earned. Hopefully you can be a better man than I was, and learn from other's mistakes instead of having to make them on your own!

Anyways... sorry if that was a little negative. Just trying to get to you before anything bad happens, because your new ride is gonna be so sweet! I hope you have a great time with your stang!
Old 6/19/07, 01:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^WOW.
Old 6/19/07, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dude just seriously be careful. I know everyone has told you that and you have said you will but you are 16 and temptation will get you. You may think you can drive well and nothing bad will happen but I can tell you first hand nothing is worse than lying there in a pool of your own blood waiting for EMS and saying "Ill never be so dumb just let me live". Not something you want to be doing. You have many, many years to have fun. 16 year old fun is crap. Wait until you have 25 year old fun. So make sure you live to see it. And most importantly!!!!!....dont forget the pics of your mom
Old 6/19/07, 02:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
I'm 24, and the three collisions I've been in, were when I was 17.

My parents gave me their old '95 Hyundai Sonata GLS (6cyl, 0-60 in like 9 seconds, which was pretty fast compared to my friends' even POS-ier hand-me-down cars) when I was 17. I used to race around in it, thinking I was hot sh*t, trying to convince every other motorist that I wasn't a "slow driving dork in a sedan."

Accident #1: Going 90 when someone pulls a U-turn into my lane. $3000 in driver-side/front-fender area. Fortunately for my lucky ***, it was determined to be his fault.

Accident #2: A few months later: Driver's door hanging open while backing up towards mailbox, because I'm lazy. I'm looking behind me and I lose my balance, foot slips onto gas, and it's practically WOT. Car reverses into mailbox at ~10-15mph, front door is ripped off. Cost: $2k

Accident #3: While my Hyundai is in the shop, I borrow my mother's 2000 Volvo S70. It is brand spanking new - I think a few months since she purchased it. I'm exiting the mall after a late night movie, am surprised by a hairpin turn labelled "15mph" as I am driving 55, and hit the curb, popped a wheelie, ran over some pretty large bushes and crashed down on the pavement on the other side. Lots of stuff broke, ~$15k in damages. (they still have the same bushes at that mall, and the two I destroyed 7 years ago look very out of place in the row of otherwise healthy bushes). Ironically, this is the same Volvo S70 that I am currently borrowing from my mother again.

A few years ago, when I was driving my Hyundai up i95 at about 80mph, passenger-side/front wheel fell off. My bumper/fender/brake-rotor scraped/sparked against pavement for about 100ft. You can blame Hyundai, but I blame all the jack@ssery I committed when I first learned to drive.

Lesson I learned: Don't drive like a jack@ss. You will get alot more respect for driving safely and courtiously. Also, teenagers can't drive. I always thought I was excluded from "typical dumb teenagers," but that wasn't the case.

Only through blood, sweat, and tears (or superhuman maturity & responsibility) do I think a person can really care about what they earned. Hopefully you can be a better man than I was, and learn from other's mistakes instead of having to make them on your own!

Anyways... sorry if that was a little negative. Just trying to get to you before anything bad happens, because your new ride is gonna be so sweet! I hope you have a great time with your stang!

I dont think its fair saying teenagers cant drive. Im turning 18 soon and been driving for almost 2 years with no tickets or accidents. Its all about whether your mature enough to operate a vehicle. Its not like you turn 20 and suddenly your a good driver
Old 6/19/07, 02:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm sorry, but a brand new Mustang GT at 16 is a horrible idea. Its totally not about the money, it's about safety. The cars are pretty safe but most likely everyone else won't be.

Get the kid the car when he's 19, not when he's 16. There is a huge difference in just those 3 years. For now, buy him a 90hp Toyota. You can only get in some much trouble with one of those.
Old 6/19/07, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RaGsHoCkEy88
sorry but the way u worded this was funny
lol I meant I had trouble handling the power, not buying it.
If I were you, I would do a high performance driving school. It will probably keep you out of a lot of trouble.
Old 6/19/07, 09:10 PM
GT Member

ya i will be careful i am driving my moms truck right now and its got a v8... and thats even got alot of power lol so im nervous but also excited to see my mustang... and ya i wont forget those pics lol
Old 6/23/07, 09:58 PM
GT Member

will be in monday... how long can i expect to wait for the strips to be put on... i will have pics monday with out the rims im putting on the strips and the tint
Old 6/23/07, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Beat the hell out of it...learn the limits of it and yourself right away. On an empty road, of course. And have fun. Don't let the naysayers get you down.
Old 6/24/07, 01:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bingo
Beat the hell out of it...learn the limits of it and yourself right away. On an empty road, of course. And have fun. Don't let the naysayers get you down.
naysayer here:

he can't drink till 19 cdn 21 us
he can't smoke till 18ish
but ford can sell him a screaming V8 GT at 16
what doesn't add up????

im sorry, but both his mom and ford are being very irresponsible in selling him this car...i don't care how good of kid he is....he is just that a "kid"....like he won't be tempted by his buddies or some hot young gal to give it just a little more gas!!! not to mention how can his driving skills be anywhere good enough to handle situations that may occur in this powerfull of a machine...

ps:MustangKid91...hope i don't offend you with my above post...think of it as another loving parent who wants to see you grow old and wise...tell your mom thanks,and get a V6....
Old 6/25/07, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by MustangKid91
will be in monday... how long can i expect to wait for the strips to be put on... i will have pics monday with out the rims im putting on the strips and the tint
Did ya get the car?!

My stripe install took maybe an hour or so at the dealer. It was a pain though because I had to make separate appointments for the stripes, tint, and heated seat install.

Quick Reply: New Mustang :)