2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Might be go big or go home time on my '06

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/24, 04:28 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
I had Years of Emission Issues on My F-150 Harley Supercharged Until Finally Tracking it Down. It Also Took Forever to Get Ready. I Would Use This Process to Speed Up The Deal! Truck is Stock as a Rock! Had Small Exhaust Leak From Manifold to Headpipe! Tiny Man!

KC
Attached Files
Old 6/7/24, 05:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I had Years of Emission Issues on My F-150 Harley Supercharged Until Finally Tracking it Down. It Also Took Forever to Get Ready. I Would Use This Process to Speed Up The Deal! Truck is Stock as a Rock! Had Small Exhaust Leak From Manifold to Headpipe! Tiny Man!

KC
That sir is some great info! I'm probably trying to read into it too much, but that Catalyst test, is that cruising at 5 different speeds over a total 10 min, or 10 min @ each speed? Is that Amy 10 min period or only in the 1st 10 minutes of engine operation?(Like the evap test)

Looks like I've hit the conditions a few times, wonder how many I need

Old 6/7/24, 07:30 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
10 min Total Varying Speeds!

KC
Old 6/7/24, 09:00 AM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
Emissions testing? What's that??

Fortunately, I don't have to deal with any of that here. I did back in MD but always found ways around it, it was so easy. It's just a big money grab.
Old 6/8/24, 05:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
Emissions testing? What's that??

Fortunately, I don't have to deal with any of that here. I did back in MD but always found ways around it, it was so easy. It's just a big money grab.
Must be nice, but I take it you didn't live in a built up area in MD? Im in the congested suburban hell scape of Northern VA, and especially during rush hour you really can't open your windows the air quality is so bad. So I get requiring emissions. And I'm all for everyone else going electric for that same reason. The one good thing about all those COVID lockdowns was the air was noticeably clearer, even iny neighborhood.
Old 6/8/24, 05:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

And we're clear! My driving didn't match up with that procedure 100% but it definitely helped.

The Evap went first on my way home from work, then on my next drive the catalyst followed suit.

Sitting in line for inspection right now...
The following users liked this post:
05stangkc (6/8/24)
Old 6/8/24, 09:01 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Cavero
Must be nice, but I take it you didn't live in a built up area in MD? Im in the congested suburban hell scape of Northern VA, and especially during rush hour you really can't open your windows the air quality is so bad. So I get requiring emissions. And I'm all for everyone else going electric for that same reason. The one good thing about all those COVID lockdowns was the air was noticeably clearer, even iny neighborhood.
Before I moved I lived in the Baltimore Suburbs in the flight path of BWI Airport. I worked as a sales rep in Northern VA, Washington D.C., Maryland and Delaware for a number of years. Here is the problem....it's not really about emissions, it's about money. In Maryland the emissions program was run by a company out of Georgia. If the computer goes down(which it did fairly regularly) then to avoid the wait they just issued waivers...bam, good for 2 years. If you drove a lowered car(corvettes, Ferraris, etc were automatic) you would get a pass because they were afraid of the costs incurred if they damaged your car while putting it on the dyno. Since it was outsourced to an outside company it was a business so they did things to minimize loss and increase efficiency and profit. The things they would fail you for had aboslutely zero to do with emissions. If you had a valve cover leak and there was some smoke rising from the engine when they opened the hood, they wouldn't test you. Just like everything the Gov't gets involved in....it's really more about the money then improving anything.

Just like the program in California that Hot Rod magazine exposed back in the late 80's/early 90's where the refineries would earn credits for every 500 cars they crushed which they could use to not clean up their act....they bought a 69 Mustang and a camaro I think from that program and tested emissions against a 1986 Taurus with a dirty air filter and the muscle cars passed while the taurus failed...these were cars that ran but were destined to be scrapped.

In Northern VA there is access to public transportation...if more people used that it would make a difference. Electric cars mean the coal burning power plants work harder, more lithium mining and everything associated with building those batteries is not "Green".

The Batlimore DC area is suffering from overcrowding...it's ridiculous now and THAT is the reason the air quality in Northern VA is poor...Front Royal used to be rural, now it's a DC suburb. If there had been restrictions on how many homes could be built in a given area then you wouldn't be suffering from poor air quality. I never thought I'd see the day that there were town houses in the Front Royal area...it's ridiculous. Gov't is the reason on a number of levels but one is the bloated nature of the gov.t and related jobs. Heck, Manassas used to be rural! No amount of emissions testing or legislation is going to fix your problems with air quality there now. It's going to take a concerted effort of behavior change which people will not welcome. Everyone is selfish, nobody wants to walk or take the metro so they all drive despite the availability of public transportation.
Old 6/8/24, 01:55 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Here in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania, if 4000k miles or less are driven per year in counties like Allegheny which are located in the Pittsburgh metro region, we are exempt from emissions inspection...
If you reside in rural counties such as Butler and Washington, there are no emissions requirements at all, regardless of mileage per year... I'm quite certain other states also have similar emission exemption policies as well...
Old 6/8/24, 02:54 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Here in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania, if 4000k miles or less are driven per year in counties like Allegheny which are located in the Pittsburgh metro region, we are exempt from emissions inspection...
If you reside in rural counties such as Butler and Washington, there are no emissions requirements at all, regardless of mileage per year... I'm quite certain other states also have similar emission exemption policies as well...
Just a fun fact but in Allegheny county Maryland at least back in the 90's...it was the only county in MD that Chrysler wouldn't honor its rust warranty on new cars...LOL. That part of the country is brutal for corrosion on vehicles!
m05fastbackGT (6/9/24)
Old 6/8/24, 09:01 PM

Just a fun fact but in Allegheny county Maryland at least back in the 90's...it was the only county in MD that Chrysler wouldn't honor its rust warranty on new cars...LOL. That part of the country is brutal for corrosion on vehicles!
That area of MD is snow belt country isn't it? LOL.
Old 6/9/24, 08:32 AM
Service Manager

That area of MD is snow belt country isn't it? LOL.
Yes...LOL. I went to FSU in Frostburg and it's called Frostburg for a reason...in the spring our front yards were gravel. One year we had 6 feet of snow with 10' drifts and I didn't see my '88 Mustang for 2 weeks. All there was to do there was party and chase girls. There were some cool junkyards in the area just up into PA and into West Virginia though.
m05fastbackGT (6/9/24)
Old 6/9/24, 02:51 PM

Yes...LOL. I went to FSU in Frostburg and it's called Frostburg for a reason...in the spring our front yards were gravel. One year we had 6 feet of snow with 10' drifts and I didn't see my '88 Mustang for 2 weeks. All there was to do there was party and chase girls. There were some cool junkyards in the area just up into PA and into West Virginia though.
Geez, it seems just as bad as Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY and yes, I'm originally from the Buffalo/Western, NY region, so trust me, I experienced those over 6 feet of snow along with the 10" drifts quite often during my teenage years lol.
Old 6/10/24, 06:08 AM
Service Manager

Geez, it seems just as bad as Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY and yes, I'm originally from the Buffalo/Western, NY region, so trust me, I experienced those over 6 feet of snow along with the 10" drifts quite often during my teenage years lol.
I don't miss it, that's for sure! I remember one semester I had the bright idea of moving to Finzel, MD which was just 3 miles away but it was also up in elevation. Significantly more snowfall! White out blizzard conditions on the highway were fun too. I did discover though that studded snow tires on a 5.0 LX are pure gold! I could go anywhere!
Old 6/10/24, 02:28 PM

I don't miss it, that's for sure! I remember one semester I had the bright idea of moving to Finzel, MD which was just 3 miles away but it was also up in elevation. Significantly more snowfall! White out blizzard conditions on the highway were fun too. I did discover though that studded snow tires on a 5.0 LX are pure gold! I could go anywhere!
During the winter season, I don't miss it one bit either.. However, during the spring and summer seasons, the lakes are awesome for boating/fishing...
Old 6/13/24, 05:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Before I moved I lived in the Baltimore Suburbs in the flight path of BWI Airport. I worked as a sales rep in Northern VA, Washington D.C., Maryland and Delaware for a number of years. Here is the problem....it's not really about emissions, it's about money. In Maryland the emissions program was run by a company out of Georgia. If the computer goes down(which it did fairly regularly) then to avoid the wait they just issued waivers...bam, good for 2 years. If you drove a lowered car(corvettes, Ferraris, etc were automatic) you would get a pass because they were afraid of the costs incurred if they damaged your car while putting it on the dyno. Since it was outsourced to an outside company it was a business so they did things to minimize loss and increase efficiency and profit. The things they would fail you for had aboslutely zero to do with emissions. If you had a valve cover leak and there was some smoke rising from the engine when they opened the hood, they wouldn't test you. Just like everything the Gov't gets involved in....it's really more about the money then improving anything.

Just like the program in California that Hot Rod magazine exposed back in the late 80's/early 90's where the refineries would earn credits for every 500 cars they crushed which they could use to not clean up their act....they bought a 69 Mustang and a camaro I think from that program and tested emissions against a 1986 Taurus with a dirty air filter and the muscle cars passed while the taurus failed...these were cars that ran but were destined to be scrapped.

In Northern VA there is access to public transportation...if more people used that it would make a difference. Electric cars mean the coal burning power plants work harder, more lithium mining and everything associated with building those batteries is not "Green".

The Batlimore DC area is suffering from overcrowding...it's ridiculous now and THAT is the reason the air quality in Northern VA is poor...Front Royal used to be rural, now it's a DC suburb. If there had been restrictions on how many homes could be built in a given area then you wouldn't be suffering from poor air quality. I never thought I'd see the day that there were town houses in the Front Royal area...it's ridiculous. Gov't is the reason on a number of levels but one is the bloated nature of the gov.t and related jobs. Heck, Manassas used to be rural! No amount of emissions testing or legislation is going to fix your problems with air quality there now. It's going to take a concerted effort of behavior change which people will not welcome. Everyone is selfish, nobody wants to walk or take the metro so they all drive despite the availability of public transportation.
Yeah, the problem with public transportation is the metro is really only set up to bring people into DC, and not nearly big enough to handle it. And there's only a few pickup points for the metro outside of the city, and not nearly enough stops for the commuter trains. Aaaand there's a huge portion that work in the suburbs where the public transportation isn't set up to go, save for a few stops.

The other problem with overcrowinding is like you say, the Gov't, the defense contractors, the lobbyists, the tech corridor (data centers and everything that supports it), etc. And I think it got worse after the 2008 recession when businesses went under or got bought out and jobs got consolidated under a few employers. Kind of the problem with things in general these days, whether its jobs, or streaming and movies, or big tech companies getting bigger, or manufacturers. Everything is consolidating into a few behemoths.

...back to cars for a sec...

So on the snow...I grew up in central NY and specifically moved to VA for both work and to get away from the white crap. But honestly I'm like a kid every time it snows down here. Never thought I'd miss it. Then again, I only have to deal with it for a couple days and then its gone again. Don't have to deal with all the shovelling, the plows, or the SALT! My first car was a '91 Cavalier and the rust was so BAD on it, when the window popped out of the tracks, all I had to do was reach my hand up through the GIANT RUST HOLE in the bottom of the door and push it up again.

-------
BTW, got 525 miles in the Mustang and an oil change tentatively schedules for Saturday. After that, I finally get to start driving her like a Mustang again (but no I'm not touching redline for at least another 500 miles)