1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

thrown rod

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/06, 02:58 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thrown rod

hey guys, i think that a rod connector broke and bounced around my oil pan, bending the dip stick in the process. thats just the most logical thing to me, because it idles really rough, like an up and down, and in my radio, i have engine noise, which ive always had, but you can hear the alternator whining up and down, at a really fast rate. what would my options be at this point? it drives ok, and just does that like at a light. so ive parked it for now. not really sure what to do, except for bringing it to a shop. but tomorrow, im gonna drop my oil pan and see if anythings in there, or hanging around there.
Old 8/29/06, 06:35 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Umm if you broke a connector rod, your motor wouldnt be running. Metal slinging around in the block is never a good thing. You defnitely need to get it checked out, drain the oil before dropping hte pan and see if you see any metal (flakes or bits) in it.
Old 8/29/06, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What mods have you done to the car? Like it has been said, you did not bust a con rod, because you would not have a running engine in that case. Have you been keeping tabs on your oil level? Is there a check engine light set?
Old 8/29/06, 08:54 PM
V6 Member

i recently started driving a lot of miles on the highway, and didnt know it burned so much oil, so when i checked it, right after this started happening, it was just on the stick, at the end. so i put in two quarts there. and just got done changing the oil a few minutes ago, i had two bolts off the oil pan and received a call, from my friend, who talked to someone we both know with an 03 gt (a member of some other mustang forum) he said something about it mis-firing, to check the coil packs. or whatever is right on top of the plug. so thats where im at now. i didnt take the pan off to check.
Old 8/30/06, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

If youve got a 2000 GT, it has COP (coil over plug). They're along each side of the engine, above the spark plugs.
Old 8/31/06, 02:21 AM
V6 Member

today my friends dad came over..and i explained the problem. and he asked me to start it, so he sat in it about 30 seconds, got out and told me my fuel injectors were dirty, so i put a full tank in and changed the oil again, because he said that when fuel injecotrs are dirty they dump fuel in instead of it straying. he said right when you turn the car off they still dripping for a minute and that gas makes its way into the oil by gravity. anyway to make a long story short ive got about an eigth of a tank left after i put a full tank of 89 in with a full bottom of fuel injector cleaner. and i just got back from a drive and i took it to about 140. he told me a place to go run at WOT for a couple minutes, and after the got off the freeway it felt like a whole different car. and it put royal purple in it. so now its fast again and the shutter is gone, but when i got out in the driveway the car smelled immediatly like something was burning. well more like roasting. and i checked the new oil and it smells like gas again. sorry for such a long post..but..any suggestions?
Old 8/31/06, 10:58 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just wondering how many miles are on your car?
Old 8/31/06, 01:22 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe the injector is completely shot... It sounds as if they will need to be replaced