Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil consumption ?

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/15, 03:08 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil consumption ?

Ok so my 2013GT drinks about a quart of Motorcraft 5w20 every 3,000 miles not really excessive but more annoying then anything else. The car has 16,000 or so miles on it and runs fantastic with no motor "Tick" I'm thinking about moving up an oil grade say 5w30 Mobil 1 or even the 0w40 M1 grade to see if my oil use drops What do you all think should I give it a try?
Old 6/4/15, 06:22 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
As you say it's more of an annoyance than anything to really worry about. Sometimes a change in brands or going to 5w30 can help, but most of the time the change isn't major. What were your break in driving habits? I know this sounds a bit brutal, but I've learned from experience that a fresh engine gets the best ring seal if run hard through the gears for the first few hundred miles. I don't hammer too hard in 1 st. gear because there is too much gear reduction there to really load the rings against the cylinder walls. I run them hard from 2 nd. through 5th. up to at least 4,500-5,000 rpm. After the miles build up I increase the rpm until it's close to the limiter. I back off the throttle occasionally while doing this. This produces cylinder pressure which forces the rings hard against the walls. Backing off quickly creates vacuum which pulls oil past the rings momentarily thus cooling any hot spots that may exist. My '14 GT used about 1/2 a qt. in the first 3,500 miles. Now it dosen't use hardly any at all [ not enough to see on the dipstick ] between my 5,000 mile oil changes. I used this same procedure on a fresh rebuild on the small block Mopar in my '72 'Cuda with equally good results. I don't advocate being a maniac and bouncing the engine off the limiter every time you drive the car, but it is possible to baby them a bit too much as well.
Old 6/4/15, 07:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SilrBult
As you say it's more of an annoyance than anything to really worry about. Sometimes a change in brands or going to 5w30 can help, but most of the time the change isn't major. What were your break in driving habits? I know this sounds a bit brutal, but I've learned from experience that a fresh engine gets the best ring seal if run hard through the gears for the first few hundred miles. I don't hammer too hard in 1 st. gear because there is too much gear reduction there to really load the rings against the cylinder walls. I run them hard from 2 nd. through 5th. up to at least 4,500-5,000 rpm. After the miles build up I increase the rpm until it's close to the limiter. I back off the throttle occasionally while doing this. This produces cylinder pressure which forces the rings hard against the walls. Backing off quickly creates vacuum which pulls oil past the rings momentarily thus cooling any hot spots that may exist. My '14 GT used about 1/2 a qt. in the first 3,500 miles. Now it dosen't use hardly any at all [ not enough to see on the dipstick ] between my 5,000 mile oil changes. I used this same procedure on a fresh rebuild on the small block Mopar in my '72 'Cuda with equally good results. I don't advocate being a maniac and bouncing the engine off the limiter every time you drive the car, but it is possible to baby them a bit too much as well.
I totally agree with you on your engine brake in procedure I have used the exact same process to brake in many a motor with great results and none have used any oil past say 5 or 6,000 miles or after the first oil change. The only problem with my 2013GT is I did not brake her in I bought it used with 7,000 or so miles on it when I bought it. The oil was new and fresh but frankly I believe the car was not driven hard at all for the first 7,000 and that's not good It would have been better if it was frankly driven hard. I have tried to load the engine to try and make sure everything is seated but no luck it still seems to drink a bit of oil. Again a quart every 3,000 is not excessive in my expierence just annoying. Other then that the 5.0 runs great a bit rough when cold but that's not really a bother. I think I will try going up to say a 5w or 10w 30 synthetic and see what happens. Although if the dredded 5.0 engine "Tick" shows up after the oil change I will be pissed!
Old 6/4/15, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Kestral , I am in the same boat. My 14 GT has 24k mi and it uses at least a qt ( using mobil 1) every 4k mi . I have to say I probably babied it too much during break in.
Old 6/4/15, 07:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BackroadGT
Kestral , I am in the same boat. My 14 GT has 24k mi and it uses at least a qt ( using mobil 1) every 4k mi . I have to say I probably babied it too much during break in.
It is not a fun feeling when your new car is an oil burner although I was talking with my father the other day and we had a Ford "89" van that he bought new and it always used just over a quart of no matter what oil he tried every 3,000 miles and he drove it for 20 years and over 200,000 miles without issue so I guess it's nothing to get all worked up about.

BackroadGT what M1 oil weight do you run?
Old 6/4/15, 07:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm using the 5w50 for trackpack cars. That's all I've ever used. The car runs great , idles fine , no issues.
Old 6/4/15, 10:30 PM
GT Member

i have no oil consumption, but i could be because i have a V6
Old 6/5/15, 01:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Another option is the PCV system. You may be sucking some of that quart through the intake. Take the PCV hose off of the intake tube and check for oil. I have a Bob's oil separator and it catches a few tablespoons every 3k miles. It could also be a combination of both issues.
Old 6/5/15, 04:28 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I bought my 2014 GT I drove like I stole it from the beginning. No oil consumption at all. On the other hand it was delivered from another dealer 200 miles away, driven by a 70 year old man. Maybe he broke it in easy and I did the fun part! I have 13800 miles on it now after a year.
Old 6/5/15, 05:05 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
35600 miles in my '13 GT. No oil consumption at 5K miles (when I change the oil). Using the recommended 5W-20.
Old 6/5/15, 06:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whowasthat
i have no oil consumption, but i could be because i have a V6

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I'm at 27,000KM... I typically go 10k between oil changes and will start to check the dipstick once a week once I hit that 8k on that oil change and my oil levels are in the normal range as well. haven't added a drop yet.

I use the 5w20 motorcraft oil from Ford.
Old 6/5/15, 06:26 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Kestral
Ok so my 2013GT drinks about a quart of Motorcraft 5w20 every 3,000 miles not really excessive but more annoying then anything else. The car has 16,000 or so miles on it and runs fantastic with no motor "Tick" I'm thinking about moving up an oil grade say 5w30 Mobil 1 or even the 0w40 M1 grade to see if my oil use drops What do you all think should I give it a try?
You could try a heavier weight oil just to see if it makes a difference. May not help much but won't hurt any either.

Originally Posted by SilrBult
I know this sounds a bit brutal, but I've learned from experience that a fresh engine gets the best ring seal if run hard through the gears for the first few hundred miles. I don't hammer too hard in 1 st. gear because there is too much gear reduction there to really load the rings against the cylinder walls. I run them hard from 2 nd. through 5th. up to at least 4,500-5,000 rpm. After the miles build up I increase the rpm until it's close to the limiter. I back off the throttle occasionally while doing this. This produces cylinder pressure which forces the rings hard against the walls. Backing off quickly creates vacuum which pulls oil past the rings momentarily thus cooling any hot spots that may exist. My '14 GT used about 1/2 a qt. in the first 3,500 miles. Now it dosen't use hardly any at all [ not enough to see on the dipstick ] between my 5,000 mile oil changes. I used this same procedure on a fresh rebuild on the small block Mopar in my '72 'Cuda with equally good results. I don't advocate being a maniac and bouncing the engine off the limiter every time you drive the car, but it is possible to baby them a bit too much as well.
This is also what I experienced with my GT Track Pack. At 3000 miles the car was no using any oil. I took it to my first track day, and it ate half a quart the first day. I think 30 minute sessions of 4000-7000rpm sealed the rings, and the next day it used no oil at all. Now, over 10k miles later I haven't noticed any consumption.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 6/5/15 at 06:28 AM.
Old 6/5/15, 03:40 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
As anyone with an oil separator [ at least a properly functioning one ] knows, some oil will come through the PCV system. Usually it's not enough to show on the dipstick. Of course the poorer the ring seal the more blow by and consequently the more oil you will have going through the PVC system.