2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

It's Official: Glass Roof in 2009!

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/08 | 08:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The Edge owners commented that if you don't pull out the sunshade in the summer, the interior WILL get hot with the vista roof.
Old 3/10/08 | 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Ask some Corvette owners about their "glass" tops and for the most part they usually complain about how hot it gets in their vehicle...I think I'll pass on this option...besides $2 grand is a lot of $$$ for this type of option.
Old 3/10/08 | 10:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The thing though is that I did get a rental car with a sunroof during the summer and it was very cool. At highway speeds I could not open the window due to the noise, but the extra light was very welcome and I was able to open the hatch at under 50 mph. I didn't really have a problem with excess heat from solar loading and the A/C was more than powerful enough to keep me cool.

If I were to buy a new Stang, I'd definitely think long and hard about the $2000 option. Natural lighting totally changes the atmosphere, whether it is in your office or in your room, natural lighting has a positive effect on people.
Old 3/10/08 | 10:50 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by metroplex
...Natural lighting totally changes the atmosphere.
Just ask any vert owner...the ultimate in natural lighting.

No way I'd want a car with a greenhouse roof on it.
Old 3/10/08 | 11:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RagtopV8
Just ask any vert owner...the ultimate in natural lighting.

No way I'd want a car with a greenhouse roof on it.
A convertible is also noisier and I've never liked the look of the ragtop or cloth top. I despise wind noise and refuse to even open the windows at highway speeds. The vista roof is the way to go IMHO but they should have at least given the option of opening a portion as a "hatch" ala a sunroof.
Old 3/10/08 | 11:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wonder if Ford will offer this as an installation for us pre '09 owners?

I saw a GT in my dealership's showroom the other day that had a glass roof installed. What was cool about it was that the roof had been painted so that the body color and the stripes showed up, yet on the inside you could see out. Wasn't totally clear, it was that window paint stuff that's kinda one way...don't know what it's called. Anyway, looked really sweet.

I've been thinking about doing this mod for a while, since I'm tall and with my head so close to the roof it does kinda feel a bit dark. Having the glass roof would help brighten things up. However, I have stripes on my 'Stang, and was skeptical about the glass roof looking good without being striped. If I could figure out that paint scheme I saw in the dealership, that would rule.
Old 3/11/08 | 12:36 PM
Cobra Member

Arrow, check out this glass roof with stripes. Click to see.
Stangnet.com GT500-Project
Old 3/18/08 | 11:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AGBULLIT
Arrow, check out this glass roof with stripes. Click to see.
Stangnet.com GT500-Project
Yeah.

The one I saw in the dealership was black, if I remember right. The perforated vinyl (if that's what they did) probably looked better in black than that GT500 in white...Personally (I'm no expert) but it seemed like they should have gone with a brighter white vinyl. The white looked kinda crappy and dull gray, vs white.

Still, that would be the look I'd want. My coupe has stripes, and they're staying. The car just looks better with them (IMO), so if I got a glassback, I'd have to get some kind of vinyl job like that, too.

Although I suppose you could do a classic Boss stripe job, and just avoid the top all together. That would still look good.
Old 3/20/08 | 03:07 AM
GT Member

wow glass rof is cool.....but ford doesn t like the se people....straight from the 09 orderguide

Glass Roof (59G) available on V6 & GT Premium coupe
arrays. Available with the following interiors: Charcoal
Black, Black/Red, or Black/Chamois color accent only.
N/A with Bullitt™ Package (54B), GT California Special
(54C), or Racing Stripes (47A)

so only v6 and standard gts will get it.