Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a spare key fob, now original two dont work

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/08, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a spare key fob, now original two dont work

I think this is my second thread since I've gotten the car. Basically, I got a third key FOB off Ebay and programmed it according to the user manual procedure. Now I come to find that the original two key FOBs don't work anymore. I've tried reprogramming the original two and the car doesn't even recognize them anymore. This isn't urgent, cause I do have the working Ebay one, but it seems like I just paid $20 on ebay to reduce my working remotes from 2 to 1.

Any ideas? I hope the answer isn't dead easy but it might be. I just spend 5 hours in the sun installing sound deadener.
Old 3/11/08, 08:52 PM
GT Member

after some time on google, i've found that when I programmed the third, it erased the programming on the original two. However, I still can't figure out why I can't reprogram the original two by repeating the procedure.
Old 3/11/08, 09:15 PM

I think you need two keys to reprogram a third key, and that's a security feature so somebody can't make a copy of your key with just one key.

Can you elaborate on what you found on Google RE: erasing the original two keys? Is that generally what happens, or did you do something wrong? If so, what?
Old 3/11/08, 09:22 PM
GT Member

I'm just talking about the key FOBs that operate the alarm and trunk release and such. It has nothing to do with the PATS chips or ignition keys.
Old 3/12/08, 05:20 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you have to program all 3 key fobs at the same time.
Old 3/12/08, 07:53 AM
GT Member

lets say "hypothetically" that I didn't program all three alarms at the same time. Does that mean that the two original remotes that weren't programmed with the third are now useless? I'm wondering why I can't seem to reprogram all three remotes by just repeating the programming procedure.

I guess they are just locked at this point. At least they are only $20 off ebay. Live and learn... story of my life.
Old 3/12/08, 08:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

They should not be locked, they can't be. The transmitters do not change anything, the car just learns what frequency code the transmitters are using. You are actually programming the car, not the transmitters.

You are either missing a step, or doing something wrong because you can program the other transmitters to the car if you follow the instructions.
Old 3/12/08, 11:29 AM
GT Member

Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter Programming
CAUTION: All remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters must be programmed at the same time.

The vehicle must be electronically unlocked before entering program mode, via the RKE transmitter or the door lock control switch while the driver door is open.
Turn the key from the OFF to the RUN position 8 times within 10 seconds, with the eighth turn ending in the RUN position. If the module has successfully entered program mode, it locks and then unlocks all the doors.
Within 20 seconds, press any button on an RKE transmitter, and the doors lock and then unlock to confirm that the RKE transmitter has been programmed. Repeat this step for each RKE transmitter.
If the door locks do not respond for any RKE transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Inspection and Verification. Make sure that no more than the maximum number of RKE transmitters are attempted to be programmed.
Exiting the programming mode is accomplished if one of the following occurs:
Turning the key to the OFF position.
20 seconds have passed since entering programming mode or since the last RKE transmitter was programmed.
The maximum number of RKE transmitters have been programmed.
Old 3/12/08, 04:12 PM
GT Member

That is exactly the procedure I followed. I don't think I'm missing a step because I can program the ebay remote just fine each time and the car confirms by locking/unlocking the doors. So I'm positive I'm getting the procedure correct. However, when I try to subsequently program the two original remotes, it doesn't even recognize them.

I've even swapped the ebay battery with the original to rule that out. I'm stumped.
Old 3/13/08, 04:25 PM

Your problem is probably that your going through the WHOLE PROCESS for each fob, that's what I did when I bought two spare fobs from my FORD dealer and I nearly went insane because I was having the same problem you are having with only one fob working at any time. The secret to success is simple, all you have to do is activate the system as explained by partsbill (i.e.) cycle you key from OFF to RUN position 8 times within 10 seconds, with the eighth turn ending in the RUN position. If the module has successfully entered program mode, it locks and then unlocks all the doors.
Within 20 seconds, press any button on the FIRST RKE transmitter, the doors will lock and then unlock to confirm that the RKE transmitter has been programmed.
Then press any button on the SECOND RKE transmitter, the doors will lock and then unlock to confirm that the RKE transmitter has been programmed.
Then press any button on the THIRD RKE transmitter, the doors will lock and then unlock to confirm that the RKE transmitter has been programmed etc...until ALL fobs are done.
DO NOT CYCLE THE IGNITION KEY BETWEEN OFF AND RUN FOR EACH FOB. Trust me on this, my cats are still scared of me after the cursing I did until I figured it out.

Best of luck
Old 3/13/08, 05:21 PM
Cobra Member

Stupid question.. isn't there a chip in the key itself that the car needs to be programmed for or does the process above do that as well? Basically what I'm asking is.. after I get the key and follow the steps above all I'll need to do is get it cut for it to work right?

Thanks
Old 3/13/08, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I am sure that I am doing the procedure correctly. I turn the key from off to on 8 times with the 8th time ending in run (I know this is correct because the doors lock then unlock to confirm programming mode). I hit a button on the ebay transmitter and it is programmed (I know this is correct because the doors lock then unlock to confirm successful programming). Within 20 seconds and without touching anything else, I hit a button on one of my original transmitters from Ford. Nothing happens. The doors do not lock/unlock to confirm successful programming. Same thing for the third transmitter. After 20 seconds, the programming mode times out and exits (confirmed by locking and unlocking the doors). I don't start the whole process over for each key fob.

If any of what I have said is not in line with what I should be doing, I am open to criticism.

I'm not trying to be difficult... and once again, thank you for all your help
Old 3/13/08, 05:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
Stupid question.. isn't there a chip in the key itself that the car needs to be programmed for or does the process above do that as well? Basically what I'm asking is.. after I get the key and follow the steps above all I'll need to do is get it cut for it to work right?

Thanks

There is a different programming procedure outlined in the owners manual for programming spare ignition keys. As I understand it, you will have to get the key blanks cut before attempting to program the chips inside. That is only because you will have to turn the spare keys inside the ignition during the programming procedure.

Last edited by sook; 3/13/08 at 05:35 PM.
Old 3/13/08, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by sook
Thanks everyone for all your replies. I am sure that I am doing the procedure correctly. I turn the key from off to on 8 times with the 8th time ending in run (I know this is correct because the doors lock then unlock to confirm programming mode). I hit a button on the ebay transmitter and it is programmed (I know this is correct because the doors lock then unlock to confirm successful programming). Within 20 seconds and without touching anything else, I hit a button on one of my original transmitters from Ford. Nothing happens. The doors do not lock/unlock to confirm successful programming. Same thing for the third transmitter. After 20 seconds, the programming mode times out and exits (confirmed by locking and unlocking the doors). I don't start the whole process over for each key fob.

If any of what I have said is not in line with what I should be doing, I am open to criticism.

I'm not trying to be difficult... and once again, thank you for all your help
No, your doing it exactly right. Have you tried going through the procedure again starting with the original fobs first?

Denis

Last edited by 08 Shelby; 3/13/08 at 05:47 PM.
Old 3/13/08, 06:09 PM
GT Member

yeah, i've tried the procedure and have started with each of the three remotes. It only seems to work for the ebay remote no matter where in the line up it is. Thanks for your time shelby... It was a good try. I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy another remote off ebay.
Old 3/13/08, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

Just take your original two back to the dealer

yeah, i've tried the procedure and have started with each of the three remotes. It only seems to work for the ebay remote no matter where in the line up it is. Thanks for your time shelby... It was a good try. I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy another remote off ebay.
Old 3/14/08, 06:28 AM
Cobra Member

There is a different programming procedure outlined in the owners manual for programming spare ignition keys. As I understand it, you will have to get the key blanks cut before attempting to program the chips inside. That is only because you will have to turn the spare keys inside the ignition during the programming procedure.

Thanks!
Old 3/14/08, 09:04 AM

Just to rule it out, have you changed the batteries in the 2 original fobs?
Old 3/14/08, 01:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to have at least two key fobs to add a third to the system. Each fob is preprogrammed with a unique code and all you are doing is making your system learn each unique code. When you re-program you must use all existing fobs. Since you didn't include the original fobs with the programming of the new fobs their codes were deleted and the system doesn't know they exist. You now have to take your car to the dealer to add the original fobs back into the system.

Good Luck

Bob
Old 3/14/08, 01:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Just don't tell the dealer about the Ebay fob. Take your 2 fobs in and play dumb.

"I just came out one day and it didn't work, so I grabbed the other one and it didn't work either."

If you are under warranty they should get them working for free.

Quick Reply: Got a spare key fob, now original two dont work