2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

It's Official: Glass Roof in 2009!

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/07 | 05:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
The color of the top is always dark because of the tint regardless of the color of the car, right?

If this is the case I'm not so sure I'd like how it would look with colors other than black or alloy.
Looks even better on bright-colored cars like VB, TR, GRABBER ORANGE
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Barrett, I was waiting for you to quote my reply. Our facts regarding glass roofs on cars with over 400 lb ft of torque are falling on elcaminoguys' deaf ears. Your car is a proven FACT that there is 0 wrong with the setup. Guess he thinks the thin tin roof is stronger than the inch thick glass setup.
I hate when people pull out of their . I think the argument is that metal will bend and the glass will break. Yeah, and so will my windshield...
Old 12/15/07 | 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

looks gay to me, sorry
Old 12/15/07 | 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05boss
looks gay to me, sorry
I think it would look great on a "Boss"...
Old 12/16/07 | 05:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Barrett, I was waiting for you to quote my reply. Our facts regarding glass roofs on cars with over 400 lb ft of torque are falling on elcaminoguys' deaf ears. Your car is a proven FACT that there is 0 wrong with the setup. Guess he thinks the thin tin roof is stronger than the inch thick glass setup.
Really now, So what I get then is that Unibodies don't flex,
Glass roofs are just great in 110 degrees..
1 inch of glass in the roof actually improves structural rigidity..

Really, Fascinating...

Gee, That's just great.

I'm done with this whole freakin forum.

Any freakin' moron who thinks cutting a hole in his roof and putting a piece of glass in there actually improves the structure is smokin' something. I supposed next I'll hear how safe covertibles are in rollovers too.

I'm done with all of this. Go ahead enjoy fantasyland...

Don't bother replying either, I'm dumping this whole forum...BYE

oh yeah and for the lug nuts who will reply....

..and the horse you rode in on!
Old 12/16/07 | 12:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by elcaminoguy

Really, Fascinating...

Gee, That's just great.

Any freakin' moron who thinks cutting a hole in his roof and putting a piece of glass in there actually improves the structure is smokin' something. I supposed next I'll hear how safe covertibles are in rollovers too.

Old 12/16/07 | 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by daleksarewimps
1+ Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 12/16/07 | 09:03 PM
FR500 Member

wow...im sooo mad
Old 12/16/07 | 09:48 PM
V6 Member

Really now, So what I get then is that Unibodies don't flex nearly as much as they did 30 years ago
Glass roofs are just great in 110 degrees.. if you design them correctly and offer a retracting shade
1 inch of glass in the roof actually improves structural rigidity.. according to the laws of physics, whatever those are...

Really, Fascinating...

Gee, That's just great.

Fixed that for ya

Take your ball and leave.

~Mike~
Old 12/17/07 | 01:32 AM
Bullitt Member

WOW.. What the heck has happened here? Calm down people and lets just discuss this rationally.

First off you need to remember that the glass used in the roof is convex in the middle. With even a small amount of reinforcement it will supply more lateral rigidity than any metal, as glass is less malleable than metal, and therefore less deformation will result. You also must remember that its not glass in the traditional sense (silica), rather its made of composite material that will prevent cracking down the middle. This is not the same as the tempered glass in the windshield.

One must also realize how far they have come with rigid lightweight glass in recent years. I've had the pleasure of riding on the new TGV bullet train in France. That thing zooms at 360mph (not a typo!!!) It has a full glass roof, and I'm sure the body is experiencing more forces than a 400ft.lb car.

But not to compare apples and oranges, I can think of many cars with way more than 400ft.lb that have glass roofs.
-The Maybach 62S with 650hp and over 750ft.lb.
-The Bugatti Veyron now comes with a glass roof option. The Veyron is the fastest car in the world with over 1000hp and 850ft.lb.
-All Koenigsegg cars, and not one of them is under 500ft.lb
-Ford GT-X1 comes with a glass roof now too
-Maserati MC12 with 630hp and 455 ft.lb
Old 12/17/07 | 05:44 AM
Cobra R Member

i always thought that the roof itself was not a majorly stressed component of the car. The rigidity i would think comes from the hoop that goes around from the b-pillar like you see on the headliner of the glass roof option. I dont mind if was going to reduce the rigidity. I want the roof open. I would love to have it retract too. If there are other people involved i would love to be on a team to figure out a porsche targa style roof. but this would def. do, as i said before for the factory version i would gladly pay 2k for the option. I MIGHT even be willing to trade to an '09
Old 12/18/07 | 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Sweet! Now people can watch me pick my nose in all 3 dimensions.
Old 12/18/07 | 08:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I just can't see it being popular in the southwest. Even with the a/c cranking, it'd be hot in the car in summer.
Old 12/18/07 | 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm seriously thinking of postponing my Mustang purchase 6 months just for this. I live in Chicagoland and winter is a four month thing that really ruins the fun of convertibles as daily drivers. I know, I had a convertible for quite a while.

Also have a Scion TC with the sliding glass roof option and am very glad Ford is not going the sliding roof option. Why? That piece of glass wobbles like nobody's business over 40mph and has developed interesting rattles and personality quirks that I thought Toyota built cars weren't supposed to have. Live and learn I guess. Nice to have it on a sub 18k car, but not too sure about longevity of it as I've had the car for two years.

Oh, and the TC has a sliding sunshade for it's glass roofs, and it's done a wonderful job of blocking the sun on our 100+ degree days.

Either way, glad Ford has it as an option for those who want it and those who like to keep things traditional.

As for the structural rigidity of glass versus metal?
I agree, the glass would be better than metal, those roofs aren't very strong. But seriously, why would you assume the roof would be subject to more flex than the front and rear windshields? I mean, I'm sure it's happened as a freak accident before, but I've never heard of a windshield breaking from having too big an engine. That's a pretty amusing logical trap you set for yourself.
Old 12/19/07 | 12:11 AM
Cobra Member

Really, Fascinating...

Gee, That's just great.

Old 12/19/07 | 12:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GhostTX
Even with the a/c cranking, it'd be hot in the car in summer.
It's not...A/C is just fine.
Old 12/19/07 | 11:54 AM
Cobra Member

Not really a must-have option for me, but it looks really neat and unique. Not many other car makers offer a glass roof option besides Ford.
Old 12/19/07 | 12:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Really, Fascinating...

Gee, That's just great.

WOW!!! And how old are we, 8? Talk about childish? Anyhow, as others have posted, "don't let the door hit you on the way out!! SEEYA!!
Nothing else needs to be posted in regards to the strength of the car that has already been explained. Our cars are SO stiff compared to the old cars. THe only thing I will add is on this forum, a picture was posted of a convertible doing an autocross event, and the inner wheel that was closest to the cone he was cornering arund, was actually off the ground! The S-197 chassis is STIFF!!
Old 12/19/07 | 01:23 PM
Cobra R Member

just read that the glass roof is added after final assembly at the for personalization plant. that seems to me that the roof is put on AFTER the metal roof is assembled retrofit. I am on the fence, by about half way through the 09 model year i would be in a position where i think i could buy an 09 and sell my 07. i would still much rather own my car with glass. BUT if they do release a boss model. its done, boss with glass please
Old 12/19/07 | 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not to keen on the idea... mainley because where I live when it's cold unless you have the defogger on the front and back the windows fog up like no other car I've had.

I'm sure the glass roof will be just as bad...
Old 12/20/07 | 05:40 AM
Cobra R Member

but what do you need to see through the roof for?

Quick Reply: It's Official: Glass Roof in 2009!