2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Issue with power steering pump pulley not fully seated?

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/22, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with power steering pump pulley not fully seated?

I'm redoing the power steering system on a 07' GT. While installing the pulley onto a remanufactured motorcraft pump, the bolt from the cheap pulley installer kit I purchased broke in half.

It's not quite at flush, but close. Can I get away with leaving this as is rather than buying a new pump and starting over? Any idea what issues this might cause?

Old 4/12/22, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other half of the installer bolt is still in the shaft of the power steering pump, so as far as I'm aware not possible to get that broken piece back out.

Old 4/12/22, 10:09 PM
BRD
V6 Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Just my humble opinion, having the pulleys even just that little bit off, would probably chew up belts like crazy. That sucks that thing broke, not sure if you could go back to the manufacturer of the install tool and they would resolve it or find another way to seat that pulley? I've never done it before, so someone that has some experience may be able to help more or give you an idea.
The following users liked this post:
houtex (4/13/22)
Old 4/13/22, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts

You need to get that aligned correctly as he says, chewed belt or even more fun a thrown one. And while you could swap it out like you say, the other possible is to drill the bolt out that snapped off. You might can use left hand drills and it back right out, or at least stick a hole in it that you can stick an ez out in and get it out that way.

You can also try a small enough dot of JBWeld or other such amazo 'glue' to stick a bolt down there, let it stick, and then turn the bolt back out, which will extract the broken bit. Or weld that bolt on, but I don't know how... maybe somehow rig up a stick weld with the bolt on the end and stab it on... Not a weldor, just have enough info to suggest stupidness like that.

All these are possibles, mind, suggestions, all up to you to decide if you want to try or not. Time, effort and money considerations are all on your end.

And if you get a new pump, you still have to get the pulley off, or buy a new one, so... yeah, might be worth the effort to quickly try and see what happens.

Hope that helps, and good luck! Welcome to the forums!