2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

im suppose to install front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/05, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on my gt but i really dont want to. will try without it for now.has anyone done the same and gotten away with it? what did u tell the cops? im thinking of just keeping the plate next to my seat. excuse " tell the officer im waiting for bracket" any good?
Old 2/3/05, 05:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Mike,
my front plate is under the seat, which is where I intend it to stay. Since these cars don't need to be inspected till '08 I think, I'm not worrying about it till then.

I will say though, that your idea about waiting for bracket is a good one. I'll use it if necessary.

Old 2/3/05, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A ticket is the price you pay, to have the privillage of doing what ever you want. Since that would be a simple equipment violation, there would probally not be any points associated on your insurance with that either.
Old 2/3/05, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I got stopped 3 times for no front plate on my 68. I just say "Gee officer I didn't know, I'll put it on right when I get home"... ya The funny part is I'm married to a Cop, he just shakes his head. What's he going to do arrest me?? :cop:
Old 2/3/05, 06:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have the same problem . So rather than getting the ticket I put it on. Good luck if you get away with it.
Old 2/3/05, 06:09 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone tried to mount it behind the bumper so it shows through the lower grill yet?
Old 2/3/05, 06:15 PM

Check the laws in your particular state, here in NV if a license plate bracket or place to mount your front license plate is not present then you don't have to put it on the vehicle.
Old 2/3/05, 06:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Robyn, I'm betting you're a whole lot cuter than most of us guys, so we may not get away with the 'ol "I didn't know" routine.

Good one though if you can pull it off, knock yourself out!
Old 2/3/05, 06:24 PM
GT Member

I think it depends on where u live on evry car ive owned since i was 16 (im 20 now) I have never put a front plate on and have nevr been pulled over for it (knock on wood!) But you can always say you dont know how to put it on? lol
Old 2/3/05, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

just place some kind of double-sided sticky tape on the back of the plate frame, then get it all dirty (the tape,that is) and if you get stopped, tell the cop the darn frame was hanging off the bumper, so you pulled it off so you wouldn't loose it. (you should have seen what I got away with in school!....Bueller,Ferris Bueller)
Old 2/3/05, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Or you could just move to a state that doesn't require you to have a front plate. That's one of very few perks of Tennessee. In fact I can't think of any others at the moment. Let me go think about what the others are.

Op, I think another is no state income tax. Let's see, what else? Nope that's it no state income tax & no front license plate. Yep guess I will stick around here for a while longer.

Seriously though, you could always wait till you find the retractable front plate bracket & get that. Then you really would be waiting for a bracket Until then I will just wish you good luck on not getting caught.

Laters
Old 2/3/05, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

The front plate is under the passenger seat. So far no problem.
We'll take the ticket before we drill the front bumper.
Old 2/3/05, 07:09 PM
GT Member

I haven't put my plate on yet and don't plan to. My excuse will be that I didn't know that TX required plates on the front, I mean, drove it off the dealer's lot with no front bracket.....I just thought I received and extra plate in case I lost the one off the back
Old 2/3/05, 07:35 PM
GT Member

I asked the dealer not to drill holes and he didn't. My plate is also under the front seat and I won't put it on until I'm told to do so. Even then ???
Old 2/3/05, 10:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
WHY are the plates required in the front? I see no reason for them to be. I'm a Texan, and have always thought this to be rather stupid, but for THIS reason:

They don't design cars with front license plates in mind. But they do design cars with California emissions in mind... So why are they stupid and "forget" the front plates?

At least the Corvette had a place for it. And the old '66 I had did as well. But most of today's cars seem to not be able to do it except in a rather ugly fashion, either a damaging front bracket, or the plate put in a very strange and ugly position. Is it *that* freakin' difficult, ya lameo engineers?!?!

Thanks, I feel somewhat better now...
Old 2/4/05, 02:06 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by houtex@February 3, 2005, 11:42 PM
WHY are the plates required in the front? I see no reason for them to be. I'm a Texan, and have always thought this to be rather stupid, but for THIS reason:

They don't design cars with front license plates in mind. But they do design cars with California emissions in mind... So why are they stupid and "forget" the front plates?

At least the Corvette had a place for it. And the old '66 I had did as well. But most of today's cars seem to not be able to do it except in a rather ugly fashion, either a damaging front bracket, or the plate put in a very strange and ugly position. Is it *that* freakin' difficult, ya lameo engineers?!?!

Thanks, I feel somewhat better now...
>They did a good job planning for it on the V6 Mustang. A flat spot indented for the plate.
Old 2/4/05, 02:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could always buy some land in Florida. Register your vehicle here and only have a rear plate.
Old 2/4/05, 02:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't plan on putting my plate up front. I also have two friends in other sports cars that don't have the front plate on. Neither has had any issue with the law.

Talking with other people, the worst that's happened around DFW to them was being pulled over and the cop just gives them a once over. The officer used the plate as "probable cause" to pull them over.
Old 2/4/05, 02:54 PM
GT Member

I told the dealer NOT to install the front plate, including drilling ANY holes. In CA not having a front plate is a "Fix-it" ticket, so if I get written up, I'll use double-sided tape to hold it on for a few minutes while a police officer signs off on it, then I'll just take it off again afterwards. A signed off Fix-it is only like $25 fine. I can live with that versus drilling baby and putting that ugly tin on the front! :bang:
Old 2/4/05, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

do u do everything your told? F conformity

Quick Reply: im suppose to install front license plate