2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Handling problems after service - opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/08, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handling problems after service - opinions please.

I'll provide all details and let you guys decide what is pertinent.

2006 Mustang GT 22,000 miles - almost all highway, so suspension is in great shape - no worn parts. Stock 18" tires, stock suspension - not lowered.

Took the car in for oil/tire rotation/alignment. No problems at all before the visit - alignment was just preventative maintenance.

Afterwards, it didn't want to track straight - constantly fighting to keep it from drifting left and right. Took it back to recheck the alignment - they said everything was good. So, I checked the tire pressure (Accu-gauge dial type gauge) and it read 24 all around! So I filled to 32. thought that would do it.

It actually seemed worse - felt like driving in heavy wind with no wind. Took it back again - again everything in spec (this time I got the printout), BUT, they said tire pressure was at 45! Long story short, my "Accu"gauge was off by about 12 PSI.

However, I'm still having issues. Car tracks straight and steady now, but I'm getting significant tramlining (tendency for the car to pull in the direction of a longitudinal rut or crease in the road). Never did that before. Tire pressure is definitely correct now. No bumpsteer at all.

Here's the alignment results:

Camber: Right -.06 Left -1.0 Total -.03 Factory Range: -.08 to +.08
Caster: Right +6.5 Left +7.0 Total +.05 Factory Range: -.08 to +.08
Toe: Right +.05 Left +.08 Total +.12 Factory Range: -.10 to +.30

So, questions:

- Is it possible for the alignment to be incorrect even if the print out says all is within spec?
- Could the tire rotation have brought on the tramlining (i.e the tread wear on the front wheels is different than the ones that were there before the rotation)?
- Is tramlining usually due to tires or suspension/alignment?
- If it is in alignment, could they have messed with something else that could cause tramlining?
- What do you suggest I do next?

Thanks in advance.
Old 1/12/08, 02:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no idea what could be causing it, but I just wonder why you had them do an alignment if there was nothing wrong in the first place. If you don't ever hit a curb or major pothole, alignment really will not change. It's not a regular maintenance item, it is a repair item.

That being said, I still don't have any answer for you. Sorry!!
Old 1/12/08, 04:28 AM
GT Member

It could be what is called "radial pull". Have them switch the front tires from side to side and see if it pulls the opposite direction. If it does its one of the tires.

Also read this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47
Old 1/12/08, 05:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
I have no idea what could be causing it, but I just wonder why you had them do an alignment if there was nothing wrong in the first place. If you don't ever hit a curb or major pothole, alignment really will not change. It's not a regular maintenance item, it is a repair item.

That being said, I still don't have any answer for you. Sorry!!
I know I'm not the only person who has the alignment checked every so often - once every 20,000 miles or so. My tires generally last me at least 40,000 miles, so for $55, it's worth knowing I'm not ruining them with uneven tire wear due to mis-alignment.
Old 1/12/08, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jahnnee5
It could be what is called "radial pull". Have them switch the front tires from side to side and see if it pulls the opposite direction. If it does its one of the tires.

Also read this:

+1 I have this problem with my work van right now. Just had it aligned
Old 1/12/08, 11:14 AM
V6 Member

Also read this:

I agree most likely a tire problem which showed up from the wheel rotation.
Old 1/12/08, 01:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mine is doing it pretty bad now too, just had some work done to the front suspension (took it in for strut caps, got lower front control arm w/ new bearings instead). When it goes back for the strut caps (tech decided AFTER the control arms that I was right), I'm going to let them know about this tramlining!!
Old 1/12/08, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Switch the tires back to the way they were ,then drive the car it were it was then the tire have a wear factor if it not the same the F.W.A is off try another shop? Hope this helps.
Old 1/12/08, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Only problem is I wasn't there when they rotated the tires, so I don't know if they crossed them or just did front to back. I'll have to call and ask the tech who did my car how he did it.
Old 1/12/08, 08:02 PM
GT Member

If the alignment is to specs and the problem showed after they did the rotation, it really is irrelevant if they crossed when they rotated.
The tires ended up where they are and the car is doing what it is doing.
Have them cross the front from side to side and see what happens then.
Do not bother having them put them back on the rear.
Diagnosing the type of problem you are having takes some effort on the shops part.
Old 1/12/08, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Have them cross the front from side to side and see what happens then.
I'm planning on doing that myself tomorrow - good excuse to use my new jack and stands.