2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Got The Call...It's Almost Here!

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/07 | 05:00 PM
GT Member

Two thoughts:

1. Did the car that came in for you have "the" white plastic shield over the SJB beneath the access panel in the passenger footwell? I'm curious as it regards the leak issue.

2. In my signature, you will see a link to my photos. I have an 07 with red / charcoal Katzin leather. It was installed by my dealer's subcontractor before delivery [I ordered it this way.] It was put in flawlessly with no scratches, etc.

Your dealer should be able to do this for you - no problem. Their cost should be insignificant.

My photos were taken immediately when I received the car. The leather is now factory tight from the sun; and I have installed the red leather faced front headrests that are Katzin as well.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - get the car you want.

Good luck.
Old 3/27/07 | 05:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thats the same dude they would call in for us to fix something like that. We have Classicsofttrim franchises that handle all that stuff. All of the upholstery guys I have seen are awesome.

I was going to go with cloth and have pumpkin leather(its better looking then it sounds) installed custom, but wanted Premier trim goup, so I went with red as a comprimise as I've always like it anyway. I like the dark charcoal too, but if you get the two-tone bug its hard to like anything else. I like saying I have red leather and having people cringe and later saying 'holy **** that's nice' when they see the car....I'd flip my lid if it had come in with charcoal. I still can't imagine that no one caught it not having KR/crimson in the weeks prior to it being built.

I just went through my pending orders and checked all the paperwork yet again(I do it once a week) for the 10th time that I already knew they were all right. I like influencing future Mustangs too, all 5 I have on order have the Premier trim group(and only 2 with their long-thought out 'list' had it picked)...If I had someone with something like red leather on their order, I would **** well know the car was in the system with red leather.
Old 3/27/07 | 05:07 PM
Cobra Member

Why do I have a feeling this isn't an uncommon scenario? I think we may hold one of the keys to Ford's woes. People want to buy their cars but can't! They need to clean up the order process and re-train the dealers. Welcome to the big letdown club! What's another few weeks?

+1 on the re-skin by the way. Yeah the codes won't match, but does it really matter?
Old 3/27/07 | 05:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's happened at every dealer I have worked at, as complicated as it is it can and will happen once in a while. It shouldn't happen REGULARLY though. Most other makes do not give you nearly as many choices and you can find the 'perfect' car somewhere. German cars are pretty much normal for custom orders outside the 'entry' models.

I find most Japanese car owners don't really ever order something custom, they settle pretty easilly. The high end stuff like lexus is package based and you only have to get 3 or 4 items right. Mustang GTs get custom ordered here at about 1 in 8 ratio. in a non high-line japanese dealer, its probably a once-a-year thing. If they are picky there is always something close enough nearby.

With Ford, the super duty 250 line is so complex, there are more possible combinations then the entire Toyota product line of 20+ models. Sometimes its good, sometimes its bad. The only missordered S-197 Mustang I have ever seen here was a convertible that did not have the cloth top, and wasn't a big deal(the cloth top isn't like the 03 cobra cloth and its a pain to keep clean anyway).

If they will do that(again they can re-sell the charcoal skins in a cloth GT), you still have right to refusal of the car and a warranty.
Old 3/27/07 | 06:20 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by mrkabc

I'd let them swap out the leather. Like Kevin says, no big deal.
I'm not sure if you're talking about the whole seats or the leather/leatherette surfaces here...?

If just the surfaces (remember there's the door panels, too), that wasn't even suggested to me.

If it costs them more $$$ to do so that is your problem how?
It's my problem in the sense that I should have caught the error on the print off he gave me. It can be quite confusing with the abbreviated names of features and the corresponding codes (particularly when packages change groupings from year to year), and I didn't think I needed to worry about it because I had been very specific in asking for the red interior. That said, I should have double checked it. So we're both at fault in that regard. But, mistakes happen...that's life.

Also, if they are going to go to that much trouble I'm sure that they will do it so that they don't damage anything else.
In theory, one would hope so.

IMHO not worth waiting another 8 weeks? 12 weeks? 6 months? for a car that STILL might not be correct. Your car is there. Go get it.
Simply put, I want the car I ordered, otherwise I would not have factory ordered a new car to begin with. I would be willing to accept comprimises if this were a used car I was buying. It is not.

In any event, the sales manager just called me, and he offered up some info that might be useful to others here:

First up, the Premium wheels are shorted right now, as is the NAV system. Apparently Ford underestimated the demand for the NAV, so much so that the supplier can't build enough units to meet the demand. I'm told the problem is SO serious that Ford may have to drop NAV as an option on '08 Mustangs; we'll see what happens on that front.

As to "skinning" the seats - according to Dan, that's way more expensive than just swapping seats between two cars, which he assured me is a straightforward process for their body shop (the guys there said it's a 'no-brainer'); just a bit time consuming - two to three hours.

And as it turns out that's exactly what they're going to do tomorrow. He promised me I wouldn't even be able to tell it had been done, and that I could fully inspect the job before agreeing to take the car. Bottom line: they simply can't order me another car to my specifications. So I guess Redire with the red interior, fanblades and NAV will be a very rare animal.

So we're back on schedule again. Should pick the car up on Thursday.

Once again, service is excellent with these guys.
Old 3/27/07 | 06:31 PM
Cobra Member

Congrats on getting her back on track. I was feeling a little better for while there but now I'm REALLY jealous!
Old 3/27/07 | 06:34 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by RobK
Congrats on getting her back on track. I was feeling a little better for while there but now I'm REALLY jealous!

"All good things..."
Old 3/27/07 | 06:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT

"All good things..."
I know. I know. I'm a very patient soul. Heck I re-ordered with the SAME dealer that goofed the first time around. Waiting is starting to cost me too much money though. If I actually had the car I would be spending my time installing the goodies I already have and driving it. All I have to occupy myself now is shop for parts!
Old 3/27/07 | 07:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
As to "skinning" the seats - according to Dan, that's way more expensive than just swapping seats between two cars, which he assured me is a straightforward process for their body shop (the guys there said it's a 'no-brainer'); just a bit time consuming - two to three hours.
Its less expensive to the DEALER untill someone needs to fix the one red car missing its interior. As luck will have it the next car that will sell will be the one that had the red leather 'stolen' to a customer that wants red leather. Thats the easy way out for them, at least to get a number before the end of the month. If you want to be evil, have another dealer DX the donor car in to thiers, and throw a fit and walk out when it has black leather and let them fight it out

We've never taken the aproach to 'violating' other cars for parts on the down-low as every car will be someone's dream car someday. I usually stock 5-10 cars with custom leather so its not that big a deal to have 'custom' leather put into yours. Every time one sells I have another one made up within 2-3 days. There's nothing bad for you for them to swap out the door panels and seats though. They at least won't need to take much apart that way. They will probably have to do it the hard way to fix the donor car later. Now they just involve two cars in the process. But in Vancouver BC it may not be as easy to get the right people anyway, as there are 20+ Ford dealers alone here within an hours drive so specialty shops are everywhere. Well congrats and get that sucka!

I was also going to mention that premium optioned GTs are a big pain to order right now. I can't believe they just don't adjust for demand and instead 'determine' what people will want over a year in advance and stick with it even when they are wrong.
Old 3/27/07 | 07:08 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by kevinb120
If you want to be evil, have another dealer DX the donor car in to thiers, and throw a fit and walk out when it has black leather and let them fight it out

Problem is, I don't have the heart to do that. They've treated me right so far, and at the end of the day, I'm just happy to be getting the car I ordered.
Old 3/27/07 | 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Knight
Wow congrats. I can't wait to see the gripes thread soon as you get home from the dealer
Until then, enjoy the "before I took delivery" gripes thread.

I'd take the charcoal interior personally, I just don't get the redfire and red interior.

I'd also wonder why "your" car came in so much sooner than originally scheduled.

But most importantly, Congratulations! (I think)
Old 3/27/07 | 07:12 PM
GT Member

Why do I have a feeling this isn't an uncommon scenario? I think we may hold one of the keys to Ford's woes. People want to buy their cars but can't! They need to clean up the order process and re-train the dealers.
This is a good thought.

When I ordered my 07, the salesman had to hand print an order form that was such a rudimentary document, it looked like something out of the 1940's. I ordered my vehicle fully equipped, so in fact, the salesman had to almost cram all of the information (codes) on the form.

Next, the document when to the sales manager who reviewed it, and had to approve it before they would take my deposit check.

Then it went to the "order guy" who I do not think was in everyday of the week. He had to then take the information off the form, and enter it into the Ford ordering system (computer system). He printed off a sheet - 2 pages if I remember - and my salesman reviewed it.

It really was 2 or 3 days before I was able to see a Ford computer system generated document that I could personally review for completeness.

My salesman -- who in fact was the dealership's Ebay guy because he was computer savy -- said the dealership would not allow him or any other salesman to enter orders into the system directly.

He also used his own email account for business and not a Ford.com or a dealership.com address.

It was a joke. They're in the dark ages.
Old 3/27/07 | 07:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by incomingRPG
I'd also wonder why "your" car came in so much sooner than originally scheduled.
He's using European date format. i.e. 5/3/07 is 3/5/07.
Old 3/27/07 | 07:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Why not trip on down to the rail yard and have a look, if it hasn't left yet nah better not it may be so dirty you will not like what you see. Bet you start having trouble sleeping ! Almost congrats.
Old 3/27/07 | 07:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mail906
This is a good thought.

When I ordered my 07, the salesman had to hand print an order form that was such a rudimentary document, it looked like something out of the 1940's. I ordered my vehicle fully equipped, so in fact, the salesman had to almost cram all of the information (codes) on the form.

Next, the document when to the sales manager who reviewed it, and had to approve it before they would take my deposit check.

Then it went to the "order guy" who I do not think was in everyday of the week. He had to then take the information off the form, and enter it into the Ford ordering system (computer system). He printed off a sheet - 2 pages if I remember - and my salesman reviewed it.

It really was 2 or 3 days before I was able to see a Ford computer system generated document that I could personally review for completeness.

My salesman -- who in fact was the dealership's Ebay guy because he was computer savy -- said the dealership would not allow him or any other salesman to enter orders into the system directly.

He also used his own email account for business and not a Ford.com or a dealership.com address.

It was a joke. They're in the dark ages.
We always go over the order guides, when all is ready a manager will sit down with the customer and enter it line for line in CONCEPTS with them and print the summary screen when the order takes in the computer and double and tripple check everything, especially on something ultra complicated like a loaded super duty.
Old 3/27/07 | 07:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mail906
They're in the dark ages.
You could say that again. You can go on FordDirect.com and build a car to your liking. It's a no-brainer. It's even sophisticated enough to search local inventory, a VERY nice feature. Why can't they just set it up such that you can "build" your car online and save it in a "shopping cart". Then you select your local dealer and drop by at your convenience to complete the order and drop off your deposit. Bada bing you're done! It gets around the direct manufacturer sales issues by requiring you to complete the transaction through a dealer.
Old 3/27/07 | 07:23 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
... Bet you start having trouble sleeping!

Start? He hasn't slept in weeks.

Old 3/27/07 | 07:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just don't pick your interior color scheme based on the flash 'guide' on the website But yea you can bring it in with the codes and do it that way. On interior colors like red or dove that can be suspect, or something like the IUP colors, you have to make sure they have seen it in person on another car. Build a GT with the Dove ICAP based on the website and see what happens 8 weeks later.
Old 3/27/07 | 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
We always go over the order guides, when all is ready a manager will sit down with the customer and enter it line for line in CONCEPTS with them and print the summary screen when the order takes in the computer and double and tripple check everything, especially on something ultra complicated like a loaded super duty.
I wish my dealer did that. They entered a bogus VOC in CONCEPTS just to get the pricing and for me to sign off on the options. They went back later and rebuilt it based on the first "sign off" copy. That's where they goofed. The sales manager and salesman really should have double-checked it. I didn't notice until later that the VOC I signed off on was order number 9999, priority 99 and with Smith for the customer name.
Old 3/27/07 | 07:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

You could say that again. You can go on FordDirect.com and build a car to your liking. It's a no-brainer. It's even sophisticated enough to search local inventory, a VERY nice feature. Why can't they just set it up such that you can "build" your car online and save it in a "shopping cart". Then you select your local dealer and drop by at your convenience to complete the order and drop off your deposit. Bada bing you're done! It gets around the direct manufacturer sales issues by requiring you to complete the transaction through a dealer.

You can That's how I had ordered my GT/CS as well my 05 GT It was thier first Internet sale they told me ?