2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Did the mustang steal designs from Infiniti?

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/05, 05:53 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Kahdir@September 2, 2005, 6:16 AM
:nono: Both were wrong

G35 Coupe is the Skyline Not the 350Z!!! All those saying otherwise
Its like saying the Late 80's/ early 90's Buick Riviera & Reatta were the same...

G35 Sedan is Japan's Altima/Skyline (4dr)...

M35/45(Fuga) is a modified Maxima ie underping changes... kinda like Jag S type & Lincoln LS

Q45 = Cima --- Stretch Maxima in Japan
Have another look. Never said G35 coupe not eaxctly =350Z, obviously. Just they have almost identical mechanical composition and design. I am aware of the Skyline. Yes, it has the same frame/chassis as a G35 coupe. They are pretty much the same vehicle save body/driveline

The G35 sedan is the Maxima. Go onto a Nissan lot and have a look. Heck Google Image "Maxima" then try "G35 Sedan". Same car different driveline. The M35 is a heck of alot bigger than either Maxima or G35.

Anyway, its common for other countries (EU/Japan) to have different nomenclature. "Same name different car" as well as the usual "same car different name". Could be?

Thanks for the info on the Q45, I never knew where they got it from. Stretch makes sense. Like the A8L. They LOVE big cars in Japan. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise folks.

Anyway, I can't belive I'm arguing about this crap. :drive:

-C
Old 9/2/05, 08:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Ford05MustangGT@September 1, 2005, 8:56 PM
I think he meant..."The S197 takes its cues from all the previous Mustangs, 40+ years."

Not sure what you are trying to clarify there...who said anything about sedans, wagons, trucks, SUVs? All i've seen was something about 'coupes'. (2-door cars with a rear seat) ('2-door' cars are 2-seaters)
+1
The point I was trying to make was that the Mustang and the G35 will have some styling similarities because they are both 2 door coupes. You wouldn't expect a 2 door coupe to look like anything but a 2 door coupe.
Old 9/4/05, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by wilsonchristian@September 2, 2005, 6:56 PM
The G35 sedan is the Maxima. Go onto a Nissan lot and have a look. Heck Google Image "Maxima" then try "G35 Sedan". Same car different driveline.
While they do share the same basic suspension design, the fact that the G35 and Maxima have different wheelbases (112.2 vs. 111.2), different widths (69 vs 71.7) and the G35 is rear wheel drive and the Maxima is front wheel drive, I'd say your statement "the G35 is the Maxima" is far from correct.
Old 9/5/05, 06:15 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by cyoon@August 31, 2005, 9:32 PM
I was just driving along and I noticed a car that looked like the mustang from the obstructive view I had, but to my chagrin, I discovered it was an Infiniti G35 Coupe! Let me present exhibit A

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/infini.../photos/001.jpg

Compare that to Exhibit B

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/shows/inno...-SilverGT-6.jpg

The body is almost the same! Now the front and back are VERY different, but the basic shape of the middle part of the body is very similar. The tail is so similar, I can just see, if you photoshopped the tail lights onto the G35, it would look very similar. I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to notice this, but I'd imagine G35 owners would look down their noses at Mustangs because it's so similar.

Am I wrong in this thought? Did the G35 come after the Mustang? I don't know, but this is a little disturbing to me. Knowing that the Mustang isn't as revolutionary in styling as I thought.

All said, I still think the Mustang looks better than the G35. I just thought it was an original. But it doesn't seem as unique to me anymore. I'm not flaming the Mustang. I still love it. Just a funny revelation to me.

Edit:
To those who allude to the main body of the Mustang 05 looking like the 60's mustang. I disagree. None of the models had the style of the main body like the current mustang. The front looks mostly like the old mustang, and the shape of the entire body looks more like a G35 to me than an older mustang. Of course I know the new mustang is taking styling cues from the old 60's stangs, but that doesn't mean it didn't take styling cues from the Infiniti G35 Coupe. When I look that the G35 Coupe interior, the seat setup is also very similar to the Mustang. Even the back seats of the Mustang look like the G35.

http://www.infiniti.com

Check it out yourself and be the judge.
Don't forget that they both have four wheels. Ford DEFINTELY stole that idea from them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9/5/05, 07:05 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@September 4, 2005, 3:01 PM
While they do share the same basic suspension design, the fact that the G35 and Maxima have different wheelbases (112.2 vs. 111.2), different widths (69 vs 71.7) and the G35 is rear wheel drive and the Maxima is front wheel drive, I'd say your statement "the G35 is the Maxima" is far from correct.
Ummm..Dude, 1 inch difference between the wheels and a slightly wider track, is hardly worth mentioning. Some single models have differences between wheelbase (Elantra vs. Elantra GT, Golf vs. Jetta, A8 vs. A8L) As for the drivetrain, so what? Happens. Geez they turned the 3.5L Q engine 90 degrees, put on the standard Nissan truck/ auto tranny. G35 is a rebadged Maxima pure and simple. Nissan is getting a rep for acts like this just now. Parts Bin Products. Well, everybody is doing it with these prestige brands. :notnice:

Anyway. Respond one last time. I am done talking about Nissan products.

-C
Old 9/5/05, 07:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by wilsonchristian@September 5, 2005, 8:08 PM
Ummm..Dude, 1 inch difference between the wheels and a slightly wider track, is hardly worth mentioning. Some single models have differences between wheelbase (Elantra vs. Elantra GT, Golf vs. Jetta, A8 vs. A8L) As for the drivetrain, so what? Happens. Geez they turned the 3.5L Q engine 90 degrees, put on the standard Nissan truck/ auto tranny. G35 is a rebadged Maxima pure and simple. Nissan is getting a rep for acts like this just now. Parts Bin Products. Well, everybody is doing it with these prestige brands. :notnice:

Anyway. Respond one last time. I am done talking about Nissan products.

-C
This is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. Turning an engine 90 degrees, putting in rear differential, and dropping in a different tranny is "rebadging" to you? :scratch: If you want to see rebadging, take a look at the Nissan Armada and Infinit QX. Let me repeat myself once again: other than some similar suspension components, there isn't anything common between a Maxima and G35. If you have some info that contradicts that statement, then post it! Otherwise you just sound clueless.

Since we're talking about posting some info, here ya go:

The G35 sedan and coupe ride on the same rear-wheel-drive platform as the Nissan 350Z sports car and Infiniti FX35 and FX45 crossover luxury/utilities. This platform was specifically designed for mounting a V6 longitudinally behind the front axle in the so-called front mid-ship position. (Front-wheel-drive sedans typically mount their engines sideways, in front of the front axle.) Moving the engine rearward improves the balance of the car, and is a key to the G35's excellent handling. Rear-wheel drive is preferred by performance driving enthusiasts for its purer steering response and an inherent capability to turn the car using the gas pedal.
Link

That's from an article on Automotive.com. Funny thing is, I don't see the Maxima mentioned anywhere in there.

I bet you're confusing the Infiniti I35 with the G35. The I35 was indeed a rebadged Maxima.