2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Did the mustang steal designs from Infiniti?

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/05, 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I was just driving along and I noticed a car that looked like the mustang from the obstructive view I had, but to my chagrin, I discovered it was an Infiniti G35 Coupe! Let me present exhibit A

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/infini.../photos/001.jpg

Compare that to Exhibit B

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/shows/inno...-SilverGT-6.jpg

The body is almost the same! Now the front and back are VERY different, but the basic shape of the middle part of the body is very similar. The tail is so similar, I can just see, if you photoshopped the tail lights onto the G35, it would look very similar. I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to notice this, but I'd imagine G35 owners would look down their noses at Mustangs because it's so similar.

Am I wrong in this thought? Did the G35 come after the Mustang? I don't know, but this is a little disturbing to me. Knowing that the Mustang isn't as revolutionary in styling as I thought.

All said, I still think the Mustang looks better than the G35. I just thought it was an original. But it doesn't seem as unique to me anymore. I'm not flaming the Mustang. I still love it. Just a funny revelation to me.

Edit:
To those who allude to the main body of the Mustang 05 looking like the 60's mustang. I disagree. None of the models had the style of the main body like the current mustang. The front looks mostly like the old mustang, and the shape of the entire body looks more like a G35 to me than an older mustang. Of course I know the new mustang is taking styling cues from the old 60's stangs, but that doesn't mean it didn't take styling cues from the Infiniti G35 Coupe. When I look that the G35 Coupe interior, the seat setup is also very similar to the Mustang. Even the back seats of the Mustang look like the G35.

http://www.infiniti.com

Check it out yourself and be the judge.
Old 8/31/05, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Seeing as how the S197 takes its cues from all the previous cars, 40+ years. I would say its just the fact they are two door coupes, so they are bound to have some familiarities.
Old 8/31/05, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by cyoon@August 31, 2005, 10:32 PM
Am I wrong in this thought? Did the G35 come after the Mustang? I don't know, but this is a little disturbing to me. Knowing that the Mustang isn't as revolutionary in styling as I thought.
The current Mustang is based on the old Mustangs which came way before the G35.

The styling of the new Mustang isn't meant to be "revolutionary", its meant to be retro.
Old 8/31/05, 09:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Only if Infiniti designed the G35 in 1963.
Old 8/31/05, 09:47 PM
GT Member

The look is similar no doubt, but by no means identical. I really love the look of both cars and I almost bought a G35, except for the issue of cost. I bought an 06 GT coupe.
Old 8/31/05, 09:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange how two cars designed for pretty much the same market (one upscale, the other "muscle car") that are both 2+2 designs might actually look similar from certain angles.... This is just silly!

Besides, go take a good, close look at a 1969 fastback. Then visualize how you would morph that to turn it into a modern car. What you would end up is VERY close to the current Mustang (I guess I can't keep saying "05 Mustang" anymore....

I've seen several G35s around town and I have NEVER mistaken them for a current Mustang. On the other hand, I HAVE gotten glimpes of some HOT cars only to realize that they are current Mustangs! Not once did that "hot car" I saw turn out to be a G35...
Old 8/31/05, 09:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Exclamation

Your comparison holds as much water as my claim about the S197 & the V8 Vantage being the strangely similar

[attachmentid=32378]

or The Jag...

[attachmentid=32379]

Fast back coupes are not revolutionary...
Old 8/31/05, 10:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually Kahdir, I think you have a point. I think the bodies are similar. But also the interior seats of the G35 look a lot like the Mustang to me.
Old 8/31/05, 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont see how they are similar at all, the mustang is made by Ford (American Muscle) the infiniti is made by Nissan (Japanese Rice). Problem solved.
Old 8/31/05, 10:05 PM
V6 Member

Okay, time to put the pipe down.
I guess I see a TINY resemblance, but not enough to mistake one for the other. I'd never mistake a Nissan for a Mustang.
Old 8/31/05, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@August 31, 2005, 8:52 PM
Strange how two cars designed for pretty much the same market (one upscale, the other "muscle car") that are both 2+2 designs might actually look similar from certain angles.... This is just silly!

Roamer, My counterpoint would be, looking at the 04 mustang. I don't think the body styles are even close to similar, and both are 2+2. So I don't think it's silly.
Old 8/31/05, 10:15 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Kahdir@August 31, 2005, 10:59 PM
Your comparison holds as much water as my claim about the S197 & the V8 Vantage being the strangely similar

[attachmentid=32378]

or The Jag...

[attachmentid=32379]

Fast back coupes are not revolutionary...
Same company, maybe similar driveline components between these two. However, bet on both chassis being unique to each other and with respect to other Ford Family models, esp. the Aston.

I know that the current Aston and Jag XK8 are worlds apart under the skin surface.

P.S. Humbug on the G35. Actually I like it. Its a nice looking auto, but c'mon: the dual exhaust is nearly fake (splits somewhere under the car).

I love the wedge design tho. Kudos to Nissan Corp. on the bold GT car design, compared to dowdy old toyota (Solara or SC430? Gack). The BZZZZZZZZZ acceleration sounds lame though, and you'd never mistake one for a stang, ever.

My uncle who incidentally used to drive a '72 Charger remarked that the G35 had the most unique (and best) exhaust note he had ever heard. Surely he must be having a mid-life crisis or has forgotten his muscle car roots Haahah.. I plan on a visit with my 05 Gt next month to show him where the differences lie.

-->Do any car mag comparison btw. 05 GT and 03-05 G35 Coupe exist?

-C
Old 9/1/05, 12:21 AM
Cobra Member

Old 9/1/05, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by cyoon@August 31, 2005, 9:32 PM
Someone important once said, "I have not invented a "new style," composite, modified or otherwise that is set within distinct form as apart from "this" method or "that" method. On the contrary, I hope to free my followers from clinging to styles, patterns, or molds. Remember that Jeet Kune Do is merely a name used, a mirror in which to see "ourselves". . . Jeet Kune Do is not an organized institution that one can be a member of. Either you understand or you don't, and that is that.
There is no mystery about my style. My movements are simple, direct and non-classical. The extraordinary part of it lies in its simplicity. Every movement in Jeet Kune-Do is being so of itself. There is nothing artificial about it. I always believe that the easy way is the right way. Jeet Kune-Do is simply the direct expression of one's feelings with the minimum of movements and energy. The closer to the true way of Kung Fu, the less wastage of expression there is.
Finally, a Jeet Kune Do man who says Jeet Kune Do is exclusively Jeet Kune Do is simply not with it. He is still hung up on his self-closing resistance, in this case anchored down to reactionary pattern, and naturally is still bound by another modified pattern and can move within its limits. He has not digested the simple fact that truth exists outside all molds; pattern and awareness is never exclusive.
Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back.," which brings me to a exact answer to your question: NO!!! :nono:
Old 9/1/05, 03:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

As has been stated, much of the design came from the first and earlier model Mustangs - !
Old 9/1/05, 05:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The G35 is a girly car, pure and simple
Old 9/1/05, 05:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Airwolf@September 1, 2005, 12:07 AM
I dont see how they are similar at all, the mustang is made by Ford (American Muscle) the infiniti is made by Nissan (Japanese Rice). Problem solved.
Oh man, you better watch voicing sentiments like that! Although I completely and wholeheartedly agree (in fact I have extremely hardcore feelings about cars from that country), the PC/bleeding hearts will take offense
Old 9/1/05, 05:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Airwolf@August 31, 2005, 10:07 PM
What in God's name are YOU smokin'? How does country of origin help your arguement.

The Mazda Miata was designed by the son of one of Ford's designers. When they took it to the table and submitted it, the upity ups said no. Not for Ford. But Mazda...

So here you have a Miata that is Japanese made and AMERICAN designed. I snicker every time someone sees a Miata and think the Japanese are so clever...

And if you really must know, I don't smoke. Anything. Heck, at my age, I'd settle for smoking after intercourse (but I'm too scared to look)
Old 9/1/05, 06:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. Take a look at a 1968 Mustang.
Old 9/1/05, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

You know if you hold your head just right and squint your eyes they do look kind fo similar. Yeah I see it now, two doors and four wheels they're idential alright. And we thought our cars were unique.

Quick Reply: Did the mustang steal designs from Infiniti?