2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

decided against the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/05 | 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

I really don't know why so many dealers are being jerks around the country. In these times, the American companies should be kissing hiney big time. I thought my dealer was very good, albeit cocky, but my salesman was very good. He said I could drive a V8 when one became available that wasn't sold. So I just test drove a V6. I told my salesman I really need to test drive a car before buying it too. He said to just order it, I'd only need $100.00 to place the order and I could test drive it when it comes in, no obligation to buy, even if I ordered it. I thought this was very fair.
Old 3/3/05 | 11:35 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by slavehand+March 3, 2005, 12:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slavehand @ March 3, 2005, 12:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by kcrw898@March 3, 2005, 1:32 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-holderca1
@March 3, 2005, 12:54 PM
He didn't say the interior looks cheap.

Um, read carefully, he wrote "My fiancee doesn't like the Mustang because of the cheap interior."

Correct, HE stated that is fiancee said that SHE didn't like it because the interior looked cheap.

He typed it but didn't say it, she did.
[/b][/quote]
The funny part is that he preceded the quote with "read carefully."
Old 3/3/05 | 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by slavehand+March 3, 2005, 1:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slavehand @ March 3, 2005, 1:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
<!--QuoteBegin-holderca1

Um, read carefully, he wrote "My fiancee doesn't like the Mustang because of the cheap interior."

Correct, HE stated that is fiancee said that SHE didn't like it because the interior looked cheap.

[/b][/quote]

Exactly, but regardless of how he defended it later, in writing it this way it sounded very much like he agreed, as if it's a well known fact that the interior is cheap "...because of the cheap interior." He didn't defend it in his original post.
Old 3/3/05 | 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I think I read it more "CAREFULLY" than anyone!
Old 3/3/05 | 11:37 AM
mav
GT Member

Originally posted by Badsnke98+March 3, 2005, 1:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Badsnke98 @ March 3, 2005, 1:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>After 32 years of new vehicle purchases I have earned the right to say most very dealership will dissatisfy you in some way.

Tom
Seeing how you own imports I do not see you really liking a domestic pony car. Maybe you did need something different. The times I have intertained the imports, Audi A-6, Jaguar S and Lexus ES 300, I found them all to high on their horse to deal reasonable and cheap on test drives.

If one only walks into a dealship and right away, asks to test drive something like the new GT, well that is a red flag to the salesmen, as only a joy rider, so they make it hard. First you need to look a lot at various vehicles show some interest in GT. Ask for a brochure, get the salesman card and leave. Go back in few days and let the salesman know you are ready to purchase a new vehicle. Talk serious prices on what you are interested in. Once they feel you are a customer they will offer a test drive of the vehicle. It has worked very time for me. No one will or should ever buy a new car without a test drive, they know that.

I can see going for the comfort of a sporty sedan. If dealers did not except the factory plans on GT's, we were going to purchase a Mercury Montego premier, 18" wheels, very nice roomy 4-door sedan.
[/b]

Perhaps you are right. The Mustang may be the wrong car for me. I'll never have the chance to decide.

Unfortunately I do not play those games. When I go to the dealer I most likely would have researched the car extensively, I express my interest and timeline for purchase, talk some chit chat about the car then ask for a test drive or offered one. I never had a problem until with Ford. Usually this is how it went...

I drive it and park. Walking in, a salesmen comes over and usually insults my current choice of car while his buddies laugh it up in the background. We talk for a little bit, ask about pricing, performance, features, blah blah, then ask for a test drive. The response is usually "oh sorry we do not allow for test drives unless you order one. When it comes in you can test drive your own car. Are you ready to order one? If so, I need to do a credit check, $500 deposit and sign some paperwork." I reply, "Yes but not without a test drive first." Ford salesman responds, " Sorry these are very limited cars in extremely high demand, so we do not allow test drives." Then I thank them for their time and leave.

I've been to almost every dealer in Miami and Fort Lauderdale and got the same BS. The few I didn't go to because they were really far, I called. The only dealer that agreed to a test drive was Maroone Ford, but they never had one available to drive.

Originally posted by Altoid@March 3, 2005, 1:24 PM
Originally posted by mav@March 3, 2005, 11:13 AM
I doubt you have seen "so many people" that have the new Boxster S since it just came out a few weeks ago so I assume you're referring to the previous generation 986 Boxster. The new 987 Boxster is light years above and beyond the previous model. It shares 80% of its components with the 911 and in some ways its even better than the 911. Where as the 986 Boxster was known as the poor man's Porsche, the new 987 is a real competitor.
I was unaware there was a new one out. I'm sure if I keep on the look out I’ll see 5 on the way home tonight, you don't know my area. As for "a real competitor," according to the stats I pulled off the net (correct me if they are wrong) the car is "0-62 in 5.5s, BHP 280 / 6200 priced at $54,000. I'm going to have to say, it's still a horrible car.
Not everything is about 0-60, quarter mile or straight line speed to me. The new Boxster S is one of the best sports cars available and at a $54K base, its a great value. The previous model, which I considered but ended up with my S2000, was a joke. The new one is excellent. Read the reviews, test one for yourself and maybe your opinion may change.

Originally posted by kcrw898@March 3, 2005, 1:52 PM
I just don't see what is so cheap about the Mustang's interior, especially the IUP. What do you want, stupid fake wood or gold trim? It's a muscle car! And I am buying it MORE for the interior, that is what sold me!!! Funny he picked a 4 door sedan too after stating what he was looking for. I wanted my next car to be fun, I was considering the Mazda 6 until I saw the new Mustang, and no four door can be more fun than this new Stang. As for first year of the model problems? I just don't see it happening, I have read volumes and volumes on this '05 and haven't read much, if any complaints.
For the 3rd time and I'll write it in caps using a large font so those of you that missed English 101 can understand...

MY FIANCEE DISLIKES THE CAR BECAUSE IT HAS A CHEAP INTERIOR.

Shes used to Mercedes Benz, BMW quality interiors.

And fun for you, may not be fun for me. Its all subjective.

Originally posted by Altoid@March 3, 2005, 1:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-kcrw898
@March 3, 2005, 11:52 AM
I just don't see what is so cheap about the Mustang's interior

People pick on that because everything is so stunning, not to say the interior isn’t. The curves on the outside seem to satisfy people, so they need to look hard for a fault, normally because they don't have the car and want to justify not buying it.
[/quote]

I'm not looking for justifications nor do I need it. I am happy and proud of my decision.

PS - In case you didn't read it right the first, second or third time...

MY FIANCEE DISLIKES THE CAR BECAUSE IT HAS A CHEAP INTERIOR.

Shes used to Mercedes Benz, BMW quality interiors so anything but will seem cheap to her. What she thinks is important to me and although she disliked the Mustang, she was supportive of me getting one. She even called several dealers further north to see about a test drive. Of course, all denied.
Old 3/3/05 | 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

LOL, again, you write it as if it's a fact, that it is cheap and everyone knows it. I don't care if you or her made the statement, you write it as if you agree with her. YOu didn't write "My fiancee THINKS it has a cheap interior." LOL
Old 3/3/05 | 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by holderca1+March 3, 2005, 1:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ March 3, 2005, 1:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by slavehand@March 3, 2005, 12:35 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-holderca1

The funny part is that he preceded the quote with "read carefully."
[/b][/quote]

Your missing the point.
Old 3/3/05 | 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

sorry "you're"
Old 3/3/05 | 11:55 AM
Cobra Member

OMG! This whole thing has just gotten to the point of being retarded.
Old 3/3/05 | 11:59 AM
GT Member

[/quote]

Well if you read it right I said that my fiancee dislikes the car because of its cheap interior. I never said I disliked it because of the interior. In fact, I think the interior is fine for its price range. As for the long term relability comment, yes its a concern for me. This would have been my first domestic car and a first year model is always plaqued with problems. I had a first year 2001 M3 that spent 3 months at the dealer for various repairs. I sold it after a year.

And no, it will not have a fart can or stickers. I don't rice out my cars as other import owners tragically do to theirs.

Those that had positive or constructive comments, thank you. My only point is to show you Mustang fans that the dealers are jerk offs not to come here and gloat. If I was given the opportunity to test drive one, I would probably have one on order right now instead of the TSX sitting in my driveway. But I don't regret my decision.
[/quote]

I read it correctly and since you didn't disagree with the "cheap interior" comment and added a few of your own, I came to the conclusion that you "co-signed" the stament (so to speak). The fart can remark was a joke as the 'jester' indicates. You made a lot of blanket statements and I don't personally know you so there would be no way for me to read between the lines as to say well its sounds as if he's insulting the Mustang but maybe not. I for one was offended and therefore spoke my peace. Some that are still looking for vehicles would like to know which dealerships to work with and which to stay away from but I don't know why we would be concerned about you purchasing a Porsche or an Acura. Maybe it's just me That said, enjoy your new car!
Old 3/3/05 | 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Very, very, very well put Khalid, that was the point I was trying to make. Now maybe him and the other will understand what the heck I was talking about!
Old 3/3/05 | 12:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@March 3, 2005, 12:58 PM
OMG! This whole thing has just gotten to the point of being retarded.
Yes it has!
Old 3/3/05 | 12:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Conundrum@March 3, 2005, 9:38 AM
The TSX is a nice car, it was on my "short list" of cars to drive.
Too bad you didn't persue the Mustang GT a little more tenatiously, the TSX truely stinks compared to the new Mustang GT, both in value for the dollar, and performance. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate decision. :notnice:

What he said.
Old 3/3/05 | 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Just making our points. Don't like it? Go to the Acura Forums. Are there any?
Old 3/3/05 | 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

The above was for post #73
Old 3/3/05 | 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

ugh, I mean #72 I'm tired, good bye.
Old 3/3/05 | 12:36 PM
Cobra R Member

:: UNACCEPTABLE IMAGE TO POST::
Old 3/3/05 | 12:37 PM
V6 Member

Wow... i retract my correction of "Cayman" to "Cayenne" (4th post of this thread or so)

I guess I need to come out from under my rock more often haha Didnt know about this Cayman Business.
Old 3/3/05 | 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 3/3/05 | 12:42 PM
mav
GT Member

Originally posted by kcrw898@March 3, 2005, 3:18 PM
Just making our points. Don't like it? Go to the Acura Forums. Are there any?
Thats fine and I made my points, which apparently some of you do not understand but oh well, I'm not going to try to explain it to you again. You can read what I posted, read it for what it is or read b/w the lines and put your own spin on it. I don't really care.

I haven't look for the Acura TSX forum, but I'm sure there is one out there. If theres one for my old POS 626, theres one for almost every car out there.

I'm a member of the S2000 forums, which is a much better online community than this one. Mustang Source is filled with hatred, arrogance and worst of all, ignorance. Too bad, there are some of you who are cool.

With that I bid you farewell and happy motoring.

Quick Reply: decided against the Mustang