2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

decided against the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/05, 08:58 AM
Jackass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lord no. A two seater would kill me right now. If I buy a Porsche is going to be a turbo. There are just so many people around here that have Boxter S’s, because of my area everyone who’s not as wealthy as the average person here wants status of a Porsche, so they buy those.

Just save your money and buy something useful maybe then they could have a nicer house, or invest in the stock market. Sounds shallow but it’s a stupid buy. You come out looking ok short term but you could be driving a turbo in the long term, if you were smart.
Old 3/3/05, 09:00 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I were going to buy a sedan, I would go with the all new 3-series.
Old 3/3/05, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mav+March 3, 2005, 9:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mav @ March 3, 2005, 9:30 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by rm2000@March 3, 2005, 11:22 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-mav
@March 3, 2005, 9:04 AM
and since its a Japanese Honda, no worries about reliability.

Modern domestics have much less reliability issues than domestics from the early to mid 1990s. Moreover the foreign competition likes to hide their flaws and recalls unlike companies such as Ford and GM. Therfore this comment is just :notnice:.

What I can't figure out is that you went with a four door sedan instead and then brought it up on a Mustang board like people would be all impressed.
Are you kidding? Remember the whole Ford and Firestone fiasco? The TSX has a solid record, the Mustang is a first year model so problems will arise as in all first year models.

I'm not trying to impress anyone... if thats what you think then you missed the point of my thread. My point is that Ford dealers are idiots by refusing to let people test drive the car and should loosen up.

[/b][/quote]

As far as the first part is concerned, while I agree some foreign car companies have better reliability than domestics, others do not. I also realize that PERCEIVED quality is much different than ACTUAL quality. I do remember the Firestone fiasco. Remember the years and years of Toyota hiding oil sludge problems before finally admitting it was an engineering flaw??

As far as the second part -- I agree completely. They should've let you test drive the Mustang.
Old 3/3/05, 09:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by rm2000@March 3, 2005, 10:11 AM
As far as the first part is concerned, while I agree some foreign car companies have better reliability than domestics, others do not. I also realize that PERCEIVED quality is much different than ACTUAL quality. I do remember the Firestone fiasco. Remember the years and years of Toyota hiding oil sludge problems before finally admitting it was an engineering flaw??

As far as the second part -- I agree completely. They should've let you test drive the Mustang.
Don't forget Honda's engine fire issue. They tried to lay the blame on improperly installed oil filters leaking oil on the exhaust manifold. The government is now digging deeper into the issue since it's been proven that the exhaust manifold doesn't get hot enough to ignite motor oil.

Don't get me wrong. I owned an Acura and would probably buy another. But based on my experience, the quality isn't head and shoulders above the domestics like some people think. I had just as many problems with the Acura (including leaking cam seals ) as I have had with domestics.
Old 3/3/05, 09:17 AM

I visited 5 Ford dealerships. Bought my 05 gt and an Expedition last year and both purchases were awful. These dealerships need to get better salesman and show more respect to their buyers.

I like both of my Ford vehicles, however the dealerships make the experience dreadful.
Old 3/3/05, 09:20 AM

You would think if you were buying a GT, they would lay the red carpet out for you.
Old 3/3/05, 09:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mav+March 3, 2005, 10:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mav @ March 3, 2005, 10:30 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-slavehand@March 3, 2005, 11:16 AM
Why not the TL? IMO, it's a better car and a better deal. 270 hp, 6 spd manual, 4-doors, more room.
270HP + FWD = Lots of Torque Steer. I drove it, great car but the torque steer destroys it.

[/b][/quote]

Have to disagree. The car keeps torque steer under control, and it's a MUCH nicer
car than the TSX. 6 cyl instead of the 4 in the TSX. Nicer interior. The audio system alone is worth it.

If you're worried about torque steer, buying a car with a weaker engine is no excuse. Just a question of how you drive it.
Old 3/3/05, 09:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Excuse me; what did you say your name was?

"It's Mav.."

It doesn't matter what your name is!

You think you can show up on The Mustang Source and run your mouth about your (cough) Acura TSX. Well, you can take that TSX, lube it up nice, turn that son of a b*#*# sideways and stick it up your candy A#*!

If you smeeeell what GT300 is cooking!

P.S. See you in my rearview mirror.
Old 3/3/05, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by mav@March 3, 2005, 9:30 AM
Are you kidding? Remember the whole Ford and Firestone fiasco? The TSX has a solid record, the Mustang is a first year model so problems will arise as in all first year models.
The blame for that falls more on Firestone then Ford. Granted Ford did order the contract with Firestone and they put them on vehicles that naturally more prone to rollover. But IMO, if Firestone didn't make faulty tires to begin with, Ford wouldn't have taken the hit. If you remember, when Ford initiated the recall, it was just for the tires.
Old 3/3/05, 09:33 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by houtex@March 3, 2005, 7:33 AM
Hopefully as more GT's become available, Ford dealers will loosen up their panties.

Not that it'd matter to you, you seem to think it's inferior in every way. Or did I not read correctly: "long term reliability is questionable"

Your opinion is noted. Maybe next time you could just spare us.

/Yes I know I didn't have to read it. But I did. Now you pay.
:scratch:

With so many negative things to say about the product (e.g. cheap interior, reliability concerns) it makes one wonder why you ever considered a Mustang in the first place. Not to mention that it can be taken as an insult to all of the proud 05 Mustang owners on the forums. I know I'm a nOOb but I agree that you could have told us about the experience without trash talking the vehicle that we've come to love.. :nono:

Be sure to come back and post pics of your new Acura once it's equipped with fart can and race stickers
Old 3/3/05, 09:34 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ejdoura@March 3, 2005, 11:34 AM
You think you can show up on The Mustang Source and run your mouth about your (cough) Acura TSX. Well, you can take that TSX, lube it up nice, turn that son of a b*#*# sideways and stick it up your candy A#*!
No personal attacks. :nono:
Old 3/3/05, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by ejdoura@March 3, 2005, 10:34 AM
Excuse me; what did you say your name was?

"It's Mav.."

It doesn't matter what your name is!

If you smeeeell what GT300 is cooking!

P.S. See you in my rearview mirror.
He didn't just show up to tell us he bought a TSX over a Mustang, he have been coming to this site for ~4 months now. What the heck is a GT300 anyway??
Old 3/3/05, 09:36 AM
GT Member

P.S. See you in my rearview mirror

[QUOTE]

Old 3/3/05, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I am assuming that when we are all say "imports" have better reliability, we are really saying Honda, Toyota and their lux counterparts, right?

Has anyone ever owned a Volkswagon/Audi? How about anything British? Or French? Or looked at the maintenance requirements to keep a Porche or BMW running properly? And Nissan, Mitsubishi or the Korean cars (while making great improvements) are in the same league as Honda and Toyota.

Look, I am not trying to bash other cars here, but I think every car company has it's issues. A few stand above and many sink below. Just because some companies (like Ford) are very proactive and open with recalls and others wait until forced by the Gov to recall something don't assume that Ford has more quality problems. And don't get me wrong - I love the TSX, although front drive cars aren't my favorite and I thought it only had 200hp, not 270. It's been a few months since I drove one so I am probably not remembering correctly.

Regardless, I honestly hope you enjoy your car. Everyone on this board probably does, since that's why we are all here - we enjoy our cars - which happen to be Mustangs. I am just guessing, but I think most people here probably don't buy Mustangs as a "daily driver" or to "abuse on the weekend" but because we love the car. However, I might be totally wrong and in the minority here.

Have fun. Drive.
Old 3/3/05, 09:37 AM
GT Member

I have to agree with this quote, "I also realize that PERCEIVED quality is much different than ACTUAL quality." It is my perception that people who own domestic vehicles have a tendency to "toy" with them more by adding mods, etc. (as opposed to someone owning an import and adding a nasty looking wing). Once you start changing the make-up of the original vehicle, then you can no longer hold the factory responsible. For instance, if you add a ton of HP with mods, then leave parts of your tranny on the pavement during a street race, then you can't be mad at the manufacturer for making a poor transmission.

I believe it goes the other way as well. If you own an import and you add a bunch of mods, then you will most likely have more problems arise then somebody that owns a domestic and keeps it stock.

But this is all JMO. B)
Old 3/3/05, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Especially quotting the Rock
Old 3/3/05, 09:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

I just hope that one day I can see 30K as cheap.
Old 3/3/05, 09:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by yur1279@March 3, 2005, 10:41 AM
I just hope that one day I can see 30K as cheap.
I hear that. For me it was house -or- apt for a few more years/Mustang GT vert. Obviously I made the latter choice (and I am happy I did!).
Old 3/3/05, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

These threads always get ugly. I don't think you intended it, but saying something like "I gave up on the Mustang, bought another car that is way better" is going to get you grief on a Mustang site. On the other hand, the Acura site people are going to love you. See, we are all nuts about a car you just said had "a cheap interior" and "long term reliability is questionable", what did you think we would say? "Yeah, you're right, what was I thinkin"?

Nothing personal but most of us are here because we are obsessed with Mustangs. And most of us do appreciate the merits of other cars. Probably best not to try to defend what you thought was your best move with this particular crowd. I say good luck to you and enjoy your new car. If you ever change your mind, come on back and we'll help you find a better dealer. Drive safe.
Old 3/3/05, 09:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take a TSX over a TL any day, the TSX is a far better balanced autombile. The Boxster........lets juts say I am not impressed in any way, shape, or form . If the Mustang's interior dissapointed your girl then the Boxster should have here in tears. For 50k+ I would expect better than this, especially with how under-powered the Boxster is even in S trim.

I have only ever been in a standard Boxster, not an S, and yes I got to drive it. (no way could I afford one right now) Handling was great, but the interior really struck me as cheap looking for the money and the acceleration was downright tepid.

I am certain the S is better in terms of acceleration as that is more or less the point of the S. But, it is siginifcantly more money to get what is essentially a hp/ta level that every Boxster should have anyway. It's like porsche gives you two choices, underpowered and over-priced or adequate power and way over-priced.

I would take a new Corvette over any Boxster even if the Vette cost as much as the boxster does. And if I were determined to have a Porsche I would juts pick up the far, far better 911 and get a car worthy of the badge. Finally, if I wanted a small, 2-seat sports car I would even take the Honda S2000 over the Boxster as it offers performance at least the equal of the Boxster for a lot les money. And, that is saying a lot as I cannot stand the Honda "scene"

But, if the car makes you happy that is all that matters and may I offer my congratulations on your new TSX.

Quick Reply: decided against the Mustang