2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

decided against the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/05, 08:01 AM
mav
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the new Mustang GT came out, I've been trying to get a test drive. I will not buy a car without test driving it first. Almost all of the dealers in the South FL area will not allow for a test drive unless you agree to a credit check, give a $500 deposit and order a Mustang. The only dealer that said yes never has a Mustang GT available. Then theres the ridiculous $3K to $5K markups and dealer sales BS about limited production (limited to the 100,00's Ford is producing?), rare (I see at least 3 everyday in Miami), blah blah blah.

I'm planning on purchasing a Porsche, either the 911 Carrera S, Boxster S or Cayman S, next year. I went to The Collection, a Porsche dealer in Miami, and was offered to test drive the 911 S and Boxster S back to back without even requesting. After my test drive in the Boxster S, the sales rep allowed me to take it out solo with my fiancee. I've been offered a test drive on the new Cayman S as soon as one arrives. Yet I cannot get a test in the Mustang GT, a car that is a fraction of these others in price, performance and features.

I need a daily driver, something cheap under $30K, something sporty and fun but has decent room. I thought the Mustang GT met my requirements - cheap 300HP sports car that I can use to abuse on the weekdays and leave my two other toys for the weekend, autox and track days. Well my fiancee dislikes the new Mustang because of the cheap interior. I'm turned off by the dealers' attitude towards an $25K car by not allowing potential buyers to test drive it and long term reliability is questionable.

So I decided against the Mustang GT, went to Acura and purchased an 2005 Acura TSX 6-Speed with Navigation (Honda Accord Euro-R in Japan) instead. Excellent car, decent performance and enough for my purposes as a daily driver, outstanding build quality, good features, lots of luxury and room and since its a Japanese Honda, no worries about reliability.

Hopefully as more GT's become available, Ford dealers will loosen up their panties.
Old 3/3/05, 08:04 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So instead of a Mustang GT you went with a 4 door sedan? :scratch:
Old 3/3/05, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

I agree as far as them not letting you test drive. I con't think of a better way to tell someone to pound sand than tell them, I won't let you drive this car unless you pony up the dough... It sounds like the sales guys have an inferiority complex with the car selling itself... they can't handle the competition of the car outselling them, so they won't let you drive it unless they run a credit check and a starting point for a sales pitch. What a bunch of retards.
Old 3/3/05, 08:11 AM
V6 Member

Cayenne....not Cayman..

Sorry, had to do it
Old 3/3/05, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Why not the TL? IMO, it's a better car and a better deal. 270 hp, 6 spd manual, 4-doors, more room.
Old 3/3/05, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Super Snake@March 3, 2005, 10:14 AM
Cayenne....not Cayman..

Sorry, had to do it

No, you are both right. Cayenne is the SUV, Cayman is a new model somewhere between the Boxster and the 911.
Old 3/3/05, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should have gone to another Dealer. I was able to go for three test drives at the Dealer that I ordered from.

Also, maybe you should have considered a V6 5 speed manual. That's what I'm getting, and for the money you can't beat it!

The TSX is around 27 Grand isn't it? That's a lot more then a V6 Premium...

And the V6 Mustang has 210 HP, and Mustang style! B)
Old 3/3/05, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mav@March 3, 2005, 9:04 AM
and since its a Japanese Honda, no worries about reliability.
Modern domestics have much less reliability issues than domestics from the early to mid 1990s. Moreover the foreign competition likes to hide their flaws and recalls unlike companies such as Ford and GM. Therfore this comment is just :notnice:.

What I can't figure out is that you went with a four door sedan instead and then brought it up on a Mustang board like people would be all impressed.
Old 3/3/05, 08:20 AM
I'm people, and I like.

awww... I was looking forward to you getting the stang, and then taking pictures of it with your s2000 and m3 :cry: A taste of all three auto markets, Asian, Euro, and American. oh well, good luck and have fun with your new ride Tom
Old 3/3/05, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Falchion@March 3, 2005, 9:20 AM
You should have gone to another Dealer. I was able to go for three test drives at the Dealer that I ordered from.

Also, maybe you should have considered a V6 5 speed manual. That's what I'm getting, and for the money you can't beat it!

Look at his list of cars that he has and the list he is considering next year, I don't think money is the issue here.
Legacy TMS Member

bahhh. imports :notnice:
GT Member

It's really sad that they would not let you drive the car first. Even if it was just a hop to jump past a mile. Don't give up on your dream. We my husband myself have waited two years for this car. We dream, think and talk about this car all day. Up dates, we got them. Pictures we got them. Even my son't play station has one. It is the dream that mattere.
Old 3/3/05, 08:25 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by rm2000+March 3, 2005, 7:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rm2000 @ March 3, 2005, 7:22 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mav@March 3, 2005, 9:04 AM
Modern domestics have much less reliability issues than domestics from the early to mid 1990s. Moreover the foreign competition likes to hide their flaws and recalls unlike companies such as Ford and GM. Therfore this comment is just :notnice:.

What I can't figure out is that you went with a four door sedan instead and then brought it up on a Mustang board like people would be all impressed.
[/b][/quote]

He didnt bring it up to impress us, if he was trying to do so, he would have written more than a couple of sentences on the car... he was explaining his situation and why he didnt get the stang.

And everyone knows that most Japanese cars "mess up" a lot less than Domestics, sorry to say.
Old 3/3/05, 08:27 AM
mav
GT Member

Originally posted by holderca1+March 3, 2005, 11:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ March 3, 2005, 11:07 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>So instead of a Mustang GT you went with a 4 door sedan? :scratch:
[/b]

I never considered the TSX, but a friend suggested to me. My fiancee and I went to the dealer, looked at it, drove it and loved it. Two hours later we took it home.

Originally posted by slavehand@March 3, 2005, 11:16 AM
Why not the TL? IMO, it's a better car and a better deal. 270 hp, 6 spd manual, 4-doors, more room.
270HP + FWD = Lots of Torque Steer. I drove it, great car but the torque steer destroys it.

Originally posted by Super Snake@March 3, 2005, 11:14 AM
Cayenne....not Cayman..
Sorry, had to do it
Actually its Cayman.

http://www2.us.porsche.com/cayman/pcna.asp

Originally posted by Falchion@March 3, 2005, 11:20 AM

I contacted all of them in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. And I never considered the V6, if I was to get one, it would be the V8 GT. Its all or nothing.

Originally posted by rm2000@March 3, 2005, 11:22 AM

Are you kidding? Remember the whole Ford and Firestone fiasco? The TSX has a solid record, the Mustang is a first year model so problems will arise as in all first year models.

I'm not trying to impress anyone... if thats what you think then you missed the point of my thread. My point is that Ford dealers are idiots by refusing to let people test drive the car and should loosen up.

<!--QuoteBegin-94tbird
@March 3, 2005, 11:24 AM
bahhh. imports :notnice:
[/quote]

I was waiting for a comment like that... Next will be someone ignorant throwing out the rice comments.
Old 3/3/05, 08:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Hopefully as more GT's become available, Ford dealers will loosen up their panties.

Not that it'd matter to you, you seem to think it's inferior in every way. Or did I not read correctly: "long term reliability is questionable"

Your opinion is noted. Maybe next time you could just spare us.

/Yes I know I didn't have to read it. But I did. Now you pay.
Old 3/3/05, 08:35 AM
GT Member

The TSX is a nice car, it was on my "short list" of cars to drive.
Too bad you didn't persue the Mustang GT a little more tenatiously, the TSX truely stinks compared to the new Mustang GT, both in value for the dollar, and performance. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate decision. :notnice:
Old 3/3/05, 08:48 AM
Jackass

I'm planning on purchasing a Porsche, .... Boxster S
This is the part where I stabbed myself in the eye. Worst. Car. Ever.

Man I hate those things. I bought it so I can say I have a Porsche.

0-60 5.7 for 54k base and only two seats? No thanks.

Better choice with the TSX.
Old 3/3/05, 08:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

We are all impressed. Has money, Mustang stinks....move on.....

NEXT!
Old 3/3/05, 08:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Altoid+March 3, 2005, 9:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Altoid @ March 3, 2005, 9:51 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mav@March 3, 2005, 9:04 AM
I'm planning on purchasing a Porsche, .... Boxster S
This is the part where I stabbed myself in the eye. Worst. Car. Ever.

Man I hate those things. I bought it so I can say I have a Porsche.

0-60 5.7 for 54k base and only two seats? No thanks.

Better choice with the TSX.
[/b][/quote]

I have heard the same thing about Boxsters, including S's. Did you own one?
Old 3/3/05, 08:54 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Mav-

I hope you made it a point to contact those dealers who would not allow you a test drive in an '05 GT, and informed them of your purchasing decision.

Enjoy your new ride.

Quick Reply: decided against the Mustang