2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dealer won't take order for GT

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/04, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from Saybrook Ford in CT, where I went to get a price and potentially order a car. I brought with me a sheet of paper showing the options and color choices I wanted, which, including Destination, came to $27,305 for MSRP.

They have a black Premium GT 5-speed on their lot, which they've had for a week. It has IUP, Anti-Theft, and the Shaker 1000, bringing the MSRP to $28,330 I believe. And there's a markup sticker on the window, bringing the price to over $31,000... It's definitely an awesome car, but I don't really want to pay $1300 for the Shaker 1000, and I don't care at all for the $3000 markup! But of course the salesman was trying to sell me that car and steer me away from ordering the exact car that I want. That didn't bother me - I'm sure that's his job.

What did bother me is that the dealership basically did not want to talk about me ordering a car. The salesman first told me that he could not give me a date when the car would arrive at the dealership if I did order one - "maybe 4 months" was his best guess. I told him that I really wasn't in a hurry anyway, since I didn't want to drive the car in the snow and salt, and preferred to wait until March or April. Then another salesman got into the conversation, saying that he couldn't even guarantee that a car I ordered would ever come in!?!? :scratch:

A manager was nearby, and he joined in, adding that there's now a hold on 5-speeds, and of course he mentioned that there's also the hold on the IUP.

I asked again that suppose I was willing to wait through the hold-ups and take my chances on not getting a car at all, if they could give me a price. Instead of giving me their price, the salesman continued to try and sell me the black GT he already had on the lot. I told them I'd think about it and maybe come back.

That's the first I've heard of a hold on 5-speeds - could that be true?

And, is that BS when he's saying that ordering the car doesn't necessarily guarantee that it will ever come in?

If I found a car on the lot exactly like I wanted, then of course I would take it, but why should I settle for a car that didn't have the options or color choices I really wanted?

I'm definitely going to other area dealers (there are 4 Ford dealers in a 15 mile radius of me), but is this common that they don't want to order cars for customers?
Old 12/23/04, 02:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sounds kinda fishy on all fronts...I would definitely advise looking all over if you have that many lots close to you.....Chances are you'll either find what you want on a lot, or find another dealer willing to actually make the order for you....It's a shame how difficult these have been on a national basis after hearing the stories on here.....Thankfully the new stangs are great and well worth your effort....Best of luck!

John
Old 12/23/04, 02:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've got a silver, IUP, 5speed in stock that can be bought at $200 under dealer invoice. It does have the shake 1000, but with the discount it still leaves you well below MSRP of one without. Let me know if you're interested.

Paul
Old 12/23/04, 02:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would run away screaming - I talked to a salesman here in Indy and he said that the last few he has ordered have arrived in about 4 weeks. That seems awfully fast, but I won't be ordering until the spring, so it does not affect me for now.
Old 12/23/04, 04:07 PM

My salesman here in Texas did tell me yesterday that any order for a GT " MAY TAKE UP TO 16 WEEKS TO ARRIVE" He did not know a reason why it would take this long. I assumed it was IUP.
Old 12/23/04, 04:24 PM
Jackass

Use forddirect to find local dealerships or your newspaper. Call all the dealerships in your area and ask to speak with the fleet manager. Ask if they will take an order if no call next if yes go in for a visit if you feel they aren't feeding you a line to get you in.
Old 12/23/04, 05:07 PM
FR500 Member

It's not that unusual to get that kind of attitude. Salespeople on the floor are usually only interested in selling you what they have in stock now.

Altoid's suggestion is a good one, most Internet sales automagically go to the fleet dept in most dealerships.

Hit the request a quote from a particular dealer button and within minutes you'll either get a call or an email, then go from there!
Old 12/23/04, 05:12 PM
V6 Member

Tell that dealer's sales manager that your deposit is also on a "material hold" until he resolves his knowledge supply issues. B)
Old 12/23/04, 05:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

No matter what I would shop "all" local dealers and then go back to the one I liked the most.