2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cancelling my GT order

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/05, 04:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Clemens9+February 12, 2005, 5:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clemens9 @ February 12, 2005, 5:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KansasCityTim@February 12, 2005, 5:36 PM
Clemens9...did you put down a deposit? If so, I am assuming you go it back. I am leaning more towards a red 2001 vette convertible I found.
I put down 5K when I ordered the car. That might be part of the reason they are delaying me, they already have more of my money then they will make on the actual deal, I'm sure they are in no rush to lose some of the money I gave them.
[/b][/quote]

So you have not gotten a refund on your deposit?
Old 2/12/05, 04:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim+February 12, 2005, 5:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KansasCityTim @ February 12, 2005, 5:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Clemens9@February 12, 2005, 5:39 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-KansasCityTim
@February 12, 2005, 5:36 PM
Clemens9...did you put down a deposit? If so, I am assuming you go it back. I am leaning more towards a red 2001 vette convertible I found.

I put down 5K when I ordered the car. That might be part of the reason they are delaying me, they already have more of my money then they will make on the actual deal, I'm sure they are in no rush to lose some of the money I gave them.
So you have not gotten a refund on your deposit?
[/b][/quote]

I am picking it up on Monday.
Old 2/12/05, 04:40 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's definitley a disappointment when a dealer does such shady practices.

Have you considered going to another dealership with a better reputation or perhaps waiting for an '06?
Old 2/12/05, 04:42 PM
GT Member

I don't know that it is as much an allocation problem as it is dealers not being up front with those ordering.

Why are some dealers taking orders for cars they have no idea when they will be built/delivered, if at all?

It's rediculous when a dealer knows they're alloted 2 or three GT's but takes orders for 6,7,8....... Then as the weeks add up, and they're already behind, they're still taking orders.

They should tell the person ordering the situation and advise them to go to a dealer with adequate allotment.

If they worked out something with a dealer who has the allotment, you'd think they might get some buisness from that dealer in return.
Old 2/12/05, 04:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Clemens9+February 12, 2005, 4:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clemens9 @ February 12, 2005, 4:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-RaGsHoCkEy88@February 12, 2005, 3:44 PM
ur making a big mistake with the g35....there as common as civics. if u waited u can wait alittle longer....take ur business elsewhere at least. ur gonna regret ur decision

Haha. They only sell about 30,000 G35 coupes every year in the US, compared to about 100,000 Mustangs. Go test drive one and tell me that it isn't a better all around car (Quality, styling, interior comfort) than the Mustang.
[/b][/quote]
So then why did you waste your time putting an order down on the lowly Mustang? You can't really compare the two anyway, one is a muscle car, the other a luxury car. They are aimed at different customer bases.
Old 2/12/05, 05:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Clemens9+February 12, 2005, 10:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clemens9 @ February 12, 2005, 10:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-RaGsHoCkEy88@February 12, 2005, 3:44 PM
ur making a big mistake with the g35....there as common as civics. if u waited u can wait alittle longer....take ur business elsewhere at least. ur gonna regret ur decision

Haha. They only sell about 30,000 G35 coupes every year in the US, compared to about 100,000 Mustangs. Go test drive one and tell me that it isn't a better all around car (Quality, styling, interior comfort) than the Mustang.
[/b][/quote]

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I definately don't think the G35 is better looking than the Mustang. I will give Infiniti due respect for building the best-looking Japanese coupe sold right now by far. But I certainly don't think it is anywhere near as good as the pony.

The G35 was more comfortable than the Mustang, but I think the Mustang had sportier handling and I have little doubt the Mustang would give the G35 fits were it wearing as good a set of rubber as the one I drove. And, while the infinti definately uses higher grade materials on the inside than the Mustang I am unconvinced that the care used to put these together is significantly better than on the pony.

I have had several folks argue this point with me before, but I worked for a dealer that sold Infinti's and while they are well constructed cars that are very well appointed I just have seen nothing to indicate that long-term quality is superior. There is no doubt that the G35 offers a dealer experience Ford cannot match...hands down you are going to have lips fastened to your posterior every time you walk into an Infinti dealer.

All of that said I think I would rather have a loaded Mustang GT than a loaded G35 even if they were the same price. I would miss the Mustang style and the V-8 grunt too much. But, you gotta go with what you really want, and if that be a G35 I wish you the best and congratulations on a very nice car.
Old 2/12/05, 05:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by jsaylor@February 12, 2005, 6:05 PM
I have had several folks argue this point with me before, but I worked for a dealer that sold Infinti's and while they are well constructed cars that are very well appointed I just have seen nothing to indicate that long-term quality is superior. There is no doubt that the G35 offers a dealer experience Ford cannot match...hands down you are going to have lips fastened to your posterior every time you walk into an Infinti dealer.
The Infiniti has a 4 year bumper to bumper, and 6 year powertrain warrenty, so I think the long term quality is better than that of the Mustang. A manufacturer will warrenty its car based on how well they think it will hold up.
Old 2/12/05, 05:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@February 12, 2005, 6:01 PM
So then why did you waste your time putting an order down on the lowly Mustang? You can't really compare the two anyway, one is a muscle car, the other a luxury car. They are aimed at different customer bases.
At the time I orderd the Mustang, I was not in the situation to afford the G35. Things have changed in the past 3 months since I ordered the Mustang, and now I can afford the G35 with no problem.

The mustang is a pony car, not a muscle car
Old 2/12/05, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think the Infinity is a bad car. I don't think the Infinity is a muscle car. The Mustang is much more of a muscle type car than a G35. The G35 is a "luxury" sports car. (A lower end one at that) It not something to mod and think when you sit inside her of "How can I make this thing goa even faster"

Sorry I think it is a sell-out. JMO
Old 2/12/05, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just additionally the dealer you are working with sounds like the type of dealer that gives them a bad name. If you want the car switch to another and certainly report them to Ford and make a "scene" in the middile of the showroom. Just make them look bad.

Don't judge one bad apple and bail out on the product completely.
Old 2/12/05, 05:30 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 6505pony@February 12, 2005, 6:28 PM
I don't think the Infinity is a bad car. I don't think the Infinity is a muscle car. The Mustang is much more of a muscle type car than a G35. The G35 is a "luxury" sports car. (A lower end one at that) It not something to mod and think when you sit inside her of "How can I make this thing goa even faster"

Sorry I think it is a sell-out. JMO
How is it a sell out?

Why would you even consider the Infiniti a muscle car?? Like you said, it is a sports luxury car. When I said the Mustang is not a muscle car, it was just in reference to him calling it one.

Why would the first thing you think about when you get the car is "How can I mod thing to go faster?" The point of me buying a new car was to not mod it, I already went through the 500rwhp Supercharged 5.0 phase, which is what I sold to buy a new non-maintanance car.
Old 2/12/05, 05:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mark,

A 5K deposit? Yep, they are for sure taking advantage of you. No way they should be putting cars ahead of you after that, they are laying on the BS thick.

Understand your frustration with the dealer but if you talk to Karpro or others on this site you can probably find a match without waiting. You might have to travel some to get it.

Don't expect to get a great response here on your discussion of the G35, nice car or not. This is a Mustang site and most of us are just not going to tell you we only bought a Mustang because we couldn't afford a G35. Everyone here made the decison for our own reasons. You have to decide if the G35 is a better choice for you. If it is, good luck to you, I hope you are happy with it. Mustang bashing will only make you sound like a troll to the rest of us.
Old 2/12/05, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Clemens9@February 12, 2005, 6:20 PM
Well whatever you want to call it, muscle car, pony car, the Mustang is the only one of each on the market right now.
Old 2/12/05, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

It just seemed to me that it was a sell-out to a second choice of what you originally wanted. (or thought you wanted) If things have changed that much for you financially for you to get what you really wanted then great.

Ask youself this would you really have been happy with a Mustang GT or a G35 when you originally placed your order.

If you really wanted G35 then you should be happy that your dealer screwed you.

I would no way consider a G35 a muscle car. Just referring to:

Old 2/12/05, 05:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Hellcat6@February 12, 2005, 6:41 PM
Mustang bashing will only make you sound like a troll to the rest of us.
I have yet to bash the mustang, I just said there are obviously better cars out there. I am just trying to correct their incorrect ideas about the G35. I only mentioned it because people asked what I was going to do after I cancelled my order.
Old 2/12/05, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Clemens9@February 12, 2005, 7:17 PM

The Infiniti has a 4 year bumper to bumper, and 6 year powertrain warrenty, so I think the long term quality is better than that of the Mustang. A manufacturer will warrenty its car based on how well they think it will hold up.
Using this logic, an $18,000 Hyundai Santa Fe has better long term quality than the Infiniti, since it has a 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
Old 2/12/05, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

There is an old saying "cutting off your nose to spite your face". Getting a g35 instead of a Mustang is worst, you would be better off with a v6 off the lot than that thing. I'd keep my 98 windstar over a g35 if given a choice.
Old 2/12/05, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Using this logic, an $18,000 Hyundai Santa Fe has better long term quality than the Infiniti, since it has a 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
Excellent Point.

Warranties are just selling points. Nothing to do with the quality of the vehichle.
Old 2/12/05, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by MustangDan@February 12, 2005, 6:52 PM
There is an old saying "cutting off your nose to spite your face". Getting a g35 instead of a Mustang is worst, you would be better off with a v6 off the lot than that thing. I'd keep my 98 windstar over a g35 if given a choice.
The fact you actually purchased a minivan makes the rest of your statement moot.
Old 2/12/05, 05:54 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 6505pony@February 12, 2005, 6:46 PM
It just seemed to me that it was a sell-out to a second choice of what you originally wanted. (or thought you wanted) If things have changed that much for you financially for you to get what you really wanted then great.

Ask youself this would you really have been happy with a Mustang GT or a G35 when you originally placed your order.
When I ordered my car, my price range was in the mid 20s. This was based on what I had saved, and not wanting to take a loan out. The only other car I even considered was a WRX, but what threw me off was that you cannot get leather in them, and the interior felt kinda cheap.

My point of buying a new car was because I wanted something with a nicer interior, rode smooth, and was quiet. My last car was a 94 GT vert, which I put about 10k into, and thus it was a very powerful car, but was not what I wanted as far as comfort. What drove me to the 05 Mustang was the smoother ride and the better interior.

After 2 months of waiting and hearing nothing but BS from my dealer, I started opening my mind to the fact that there are other cars out there that more of what I was looking for, they just cost more money. This led me to the Infiniti, and as soon as I drove it, I knew it was what I was looking for. I just had to justify the extra money to myself, and going for a second test drive sealed that for me. I am now in a position which I can afford the extra 8-10K for the G35, it will just take me a few months to afford it (which is about the time my Mustang would have supposively come in).

My original plan was to buy the Mustang now, and then in a few years, buy a nicer luxury coupe. This decision just sped up my original plan, which I think will be for the better.

Quick Reply: Cancelling my GT order