2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cancel Order for a Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/05, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My own personal experience. I always wanted a Vette, and always admired them, alway looked at them. When the new C6 came out I went to the auto show to see it, I sat down and couldn't believe how small the interior was, and my head stuck out the roof, yes I had the seat adjusted all the way down, and with my wife in the car it was like sharing a wallnut shell. I was really disappointed that I did not fit, Im 6-2, that was unitl my wife said "whats that over their", It was the new 05' Mustang, I was stunned. It was the most beautiful car I've seen. My disappointment about the vette was gone. Now I can't wait to get one, which for me will be at least 18-24 months away, my wife and I share a car, our daughter is in college with the other car.
In my opinion, for what its worth, both cars will give you the performance and both will put a smile on your face. Look at this way, which car do you see yourself in, were do you see yourself a few years down the road? Personally when I get my Mustang it will be a car I will keep for as long as I can. Go with what appeals to you the most.
Old 2/11/05, 09:10 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the Vette a vert or targa? If so, then that should make the decision a lot easier.
Old 2/11/05, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Aren't there any dealers around that have some GTs on the lot you can drive?
That may help you out a bit.

But make sure on your choice. It is hard to change your mind later without a big loss.$$$
Old 2/11/05, 09:24 PM
Cobra Member

Vettes are nice enough. Vette pictures filled up a lot of disk space on my digital camera at the auto show! Are the Vette folks as passionate as Mustang folks? Moreso? Just curious.

I am also curious why Ford isn't building the 'Stangs faster; didn't they expect sales to be high (IUP issues notwithstanding)?. Also, it appears most Mustang faithful are opting to order their cars rather than take one off the dealer lot. I know they're scarce, but they are out there, no? I've seen just about every color and option combo in the greater Richmond area. I've seen sooo many that are on people's wish lists, built to their specs, just sitting on dealer lots.

I think the GT with spoiler delete is what's keeping me from finding exactly the one for me.
Old 2/11/05, 09:49 PM
Cobra Member

Well, I have decided nothing. Thanks for your input, as I really appreciate it. At this point I really have no clue. I won't buy the on I drove tonight. It is a targa, and I am dead set on a vert. Unless I find a nice vette vert, I will probably stick with mustang. I think the stang is where my heart is. I am just a little pissed I will have to wait so long (no flames please. I know a lot of you have waited a heck of a long time, and I honestly don't know how you did it). Plus there is the mystique around owning a vette, at least to me. Don't get me wrong, I love mustangs, but a vette is a vette. I grew up in Vette City, and so I have loved them for a long time. I guess, clearly, I just don't know.
Old 2/11/05, 10:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@February 11, 2005, 7:32 PM
So, it has only been a few weeks since I ordered, but my dealer is telling me it could be until May or Jung until I get my car. Frankly, I think that is ridiculous to wait that long to buy their product. So, tonight I went and drove 2002 red vette. I am seriously thinking about cancelling my order if there is no news in a couple of weeks. Do you all think this is a terrible idea?
Your sig says u ordered a 05? So did u order a vette instead or a 05 AND a vette? I hate the vettes, Just get a 04 cobra or a new 05. The cobra is the best choice IMO, but a Mustang is much better than a vette.
Old 2/11/05, 10:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200+February 11, 2005, 11:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fordracing200 @ February 11, 2005, 11:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KansasCityTim@February 11, 2005, 7:32 PM
So, it has only been a few weeks since I ordered, but my dealer is telling me it could be until May or Jung until I get my car. Frankly, I think that is ridiculous to wait that long to buy their product. So, tonight I went and drove 2002 red vette. I am seriously thinking about cancelling my order if there is no news in a couple of weeks. Do you all think this is a terrible idea?
Your sig says u ordered a 05? So did u order a vette instead or a 05 AND a vette? I hate the vettes, Just get a 04 cobra or a new 05. The cobra is the best choice IMO, but a Mustang is much better than a vette.
[/b][/quote]

Well, I like them both, but it is a little difficult to say a stang is better than a vette. In what way? By the way, I ordered a stang, but I am thinking about cancelling the order to buy a used vette.
Old 2/11/05, 10:08 PM
FR500 Member

You said it best yourself! A Vette is a Vette and a Mustang is a Mustang.

I just happen to like Mustangs better than Vette's.

I was frustrated too, more than the board knows. I even test drove the 350Z again while I was waiting... best thing I did!

It cemented the fact that I want the Mustang no matter how much I was going to wait.
Old 2/11/05, 10:14 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim+February 11, 2005, 11:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KansasCityTim @ February 11, 2005, 11:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Fordracing200@February 11, 2005, 11:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-KansasCityTim
@February 11, 2005, 7:32 PM

Well, I like them both, but it is a little difficult to say a stang is better than a vette. In what way? By the way, I ordered a stang, but I am thinking about cancelling the order to buy a used vette.
[/b][/quote]
I hate chevy, but buy a few year old used vette until the stangs get the stupid bugs worked out, than uy a new 06 or 07 stang, or buy the vette til the stangs become more popular on dealer lots and go down and pick one up. IMO
Old 2/11/05, 11:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
right]
[/quote]

Ya know, I didn't consider that. If I could have afforded a vette when I was 26, I would have bought one too. You are right about vette people. A friend of mine is a vette guy. He's owned several (mostly when he was much younger) and still owns the '73 he bought new. One of the interesting things about this guy is that when he saw the '05 Mustang, he fell in love and wants one. It would be the first Ford he's ever considered owning.
[/quote]
Except for the age, this is me, had 3 vettes, the present one is a 1960, I just loved the muscle feeling of the 05 Stang and I wanted an everyday car.
Old 2/11/05, 11:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by davids2toys,February 12, 2005, 12:09 AM
Ya know, I didn't consider that. If I could have afforded a vette when I was 26, I would have bought one too. You are right about vette people. A friend of mine is a vette guy. He's owned several (mostly when he was much younger) and still owns the '73 he bought new. One of the interesting things about this guy is that when he saw the '05 Mustang, he fell in love and wants one. It would be the first Ford he's ever considered owning.
[/quote]
Except for the age, this is me, had 3 vettes, the present one is a 1960, I just loved the muscle feeling of the 05 Stang and I wanted an everyday car.
[/quote]

That is probably what it will come down to. Whatever I buy will be an everyday car, and a vette seems less conducive to that than a stang.
Old 2/12/05, 12:23 AM
Cobra R Member

You asked so I'll tell YA. You are about as full of it as one can get. All one has to only look at the source !!! Did you move out of MOMAs house yet ??
Old 2/12/05, 03:03 AM
Bullitt Member

KC,
The choice is yours! For me I'm a come back guy. Owned a 69 Mustang fastback new. Sold it in 85(my great mistake). I bought a Vette when I had 3 kids in car seats= van for wife. Now I've got an 05 GT prem. being built this month! It's all up to you, If you got the power to get the vette go for it. The Mustang will still be here and you can be a comeback guy like me.
Happy Trails!!
Old 2/12/05, 06:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

If the price is right on the 'Vette, you might want to consider buying the Corvette for now and keeping the '05 on order, assuming you have a refundable deposit on it.

You should know by whenever the '05 turns up whether you are a 'Vette guy or not. If not, sell or trade the Corvette for the Mustang and you've had a nice ride in the meantime.

You may take a minor hit in depreciation, but nothing like you would buying a new Mustang and THEN realizing you really want the used 'Vette.
Old 2/12/05, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

please get the vette, one less vert with a chance to be pulled ahead of mine..... :yes:
Old 2/12/05, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not at all, it's your money - so get whatever makes you happy
Old 2/12/05, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my youngest days I had Mustangs. I got a bit of age to me and went through 3 Corvettes in 7 years, now I have returned to Mustangs. Corvettes can be finicky with servicing and are complicated machines. Sometimes you have to own a few cars to find out where you belong, I did and came back to Mustangs and here I'll stay.

I enjoy my Mach 1 driving experience much more than the 1990 ZR-1 I owned, I had the ZR-1 for 5 years. And the Roush gives up nothing to the ZR-1, with the exception of about maybe 10mph in top speed. Stock comparison of course.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 2/12/05, 08:49 AM
GT Member

I can certainly understand the dilemma between the 'vette and the "05 Stang. Personally, I had always lusted after a Corvette since I was 14 (many, many years ago). When I got to the point I could afford one (now, in my 40s) the appeal has diminished. Corvettes are among the finest sports cars IN THE WORLD. IF anything, their legacy is een stronger than that of the Mustang.

All that said, they are not daily drivers. They are weekend queens.

While the C6 is the most civilized 'vette ever, there are still some tradeoffs. What was "no biggie" when I was a teen as far as the compromises, they are more of an issue to me now....such as their seating position (still very low), no headroom with the targa top on (or the vert top up), etc.

Plus, what was a perceived "image" car (very good in your teens and 20s) turns into a negative as you get older. IF you are in your 30s or 40s, having a 'vette "speaks to" having a mid-life crisis.

No matter how much GM tries to shed its image of cost cutting, is still prevalent in the interior of the Corvette....even the C6. I'll take the Mustang's interior anyday over the Corvette's.

You can't deny the performance of a C5 or C6 Corvette, though. Any Corvette from the 80s, short of the special edition models, won't hold a candle to the performance/comfort/refinement of the '05 Mustang GT.

Those are the buying criteria I used. What was once the car of my dreams (the Corvette) is less appealing to me now. The Mustang is more appealing at this point.
Old 2/12/05, 03:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Mongoose+February 12, 2005, 1:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mongoose @ February 12, 2005, 1:26 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KansasCityTim@February 11, 2005, 7:32 PM
You asked so I'll tell YA. You are about as full of it as one can get. All one has to only look at the source !!! Did you move out of MOMAs house yet ??
[/b][/quote]

What in the heck are you talking about? First, everyone else that has responded has been very nice, even if they did prefer the mustang. Second, why am I full of it? Third, if you are going to insult someone, at least spell the insult correctly (MOMAs?). You only do yourself a disservice by making yourself look ignorant.
Old 2/12/05, 04:06 PM
V6 Member

mustangs are cool,vettes r cool,i hate corvetts due the people i see driving them,rich old aholes who buy dont them because they are performance cars,they buy them because they have the money and not for what it truley is.but ur young and have the oppertunity,i know a kid who is 17 and has one,its cool but i would modify it but i havent seen many performance parts for them,its a tought question if yo ask me